iOS 8 Device Compatibility Speculation

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Way ahead of things again... but was wondering. WHEN iOS 8 does come out, how many devices (how far back) do you think Apple will be able to support? iPhone 4S or newer? iPhone 5 or newer? iPad 2 still in the mix as well?

I know my trusty 'ol iPhone 4 has held up to iOS 7 surprisingly well, but I doubt the next major update would fare quite as well... :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The 4S might see iOS8 - but it won't have all the bells & whistles that the new devices get. And depending on what happens with the rest of the iPad line-up - I'd be surprised if the iPad2 would get iOS8 when it arrives.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My prediction:

For sure getting iOS 8:

iPhone 5S/5C/5

iPad 4/Air

iPad mini 2

On the bubble:

iPhone 4S

iPad mini 1

iPad 2/3

iPod touch 5th gen

The iPhone 4 is for sure getting dropped when iOS 8 comes out.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Way ahead of things again... but was wondering. WHEN iOS 8 does come out, how many devices (how far back) do you think Apple will be able to support? iPhone 4S or newer? iPhone 5 or newer? iPad 2 still in the mix as well?

I know my trusty 'ol iPhone 4 has held up to iOS 7 surprisingly well, but I doubt the next major update would fare quite as well... :)

I'd say 4S and up on iPhone, iPad 3 and up for iPad. A5 processors probably won't support iOS 8. It may be like the 3GS...while it technically got iOS 6, it was hobbled and didn't perform well.

While devices like iPad 2 and iPhone 4 may technically RUN an OS, I believe Apple is more concerned about experience.

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
iphone4s have to count there were lots of users have this superb model , may be count also ipad2
this is sure get ------- ipad3 4 ipad air and ipad mini 1 - 2

zdn1042

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think iPad 2, 3 and Mini will be out. Same goes for iPhone 4.

But here's to hoping Apple might follow (please don't flame me) Google with Kit-Kat's focus on optimization for low memory/specs devices BUT not at the expense of possibly the addition of new features they might incorporate into iOS 8 (maybe like in iOS7 disable some features on the older devices). So those 4 devices above can have at least a year more with using the latest iOS.

crazygonzo

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Apple is good at offering at least some small update for devices it currently sells, recently they proved that they count that time from the date a device is released and not by specs only. If Apple doesn't introduce a new product BEFORE iOS 8 is completely finished all A5 chip devices will get an update (there's just too many of them to completely abandon at once - iPhone 4S, iPad 2/3, iPad Mini), this could change if a refreshed upgraded iPad Air comes out for example in May/June with iOS 7.3 and Apple stops selling their older devices.
So iPhone 4S & iPad 2 will probably get a last micro update because they were both released in 2011 and offer the same hardware but don't expect much new features or significant changes (since iPhone 4S was released a few months later than iPad 2 Siri is included while the tablet doesn't have it). We need to count the time from the system's number it debuted - iPhone 4S started with iOS 5 so it got a full update next year with iOS 6, then came iOS 7 and it got a partial update, in 2014 it'll get a symbolic last update in iOS 8. That means your purchased device is on a solid guaranteed 2 year cycle + 1 additional year of support for those that bought the device later and will continue to use it.

PinkBanana

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
If apple continue to drop older models then I'm afraid I'll be forced to go with android, because at least all their latest phones work with updates. I simply CANT afford to keep upgrading simple as.

PinkBanana

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Show me a 3+ year old Android phone running the latest OS version.
Apple supports their phones far longer than Android manufacturers.

I can't show you one if I haven't got one can I what I will say is that up until October of this year my oh was running a Sony Xperia Ray on the latest operating system and it worked fine considering how old that is. So get your facts right before telling me what I can and can't do

PinkBanana

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
mATE YOU'RE STILL NOT GETTING WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY. I CAN'T AFFORD APPLE PRODUCTS LIKE YOU LOT CAN. I HAVE TO SIMPLY WAIT FOR HAND DOWNS - sorry for the shouting didn't realise i had caps lock on. Oh what the hell, I won't win my argument so why am i even bothering to comment

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I could have kept my 3GS from 2009 and would have had 4 years of IOS support.

The HTC EVO 3D I had didn't even get 1 year of support.

Because of the 5S is 64 bit I wouldn't be shocked if it gets 5 years of iOS support.

I recently read a article about how the 5s and A7 and how it's significance is more than what people realize. It could turn out to be in years to come the oldest iPhone that still works in the sense of running a future iOS and 64 bit apps.

#Naked Tuesday

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the 4s will be the last to get it(well the watered down version like what happens every year). I also don't think the original iPad mini or iPad 2 will receive it which could really make some iPad mini owners upset( but that is what happens when you buy into already outdated hardware) The 5/5S will get pretty much everything that is not hardware related.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If apple continue to drop older models then I'm afraid I'll be forced to go with android, because at least all their latest phones work with updates. I simply CANT afford to keep upgrading simple as.

What do you expect them to do support the devices forever? The hardware simply cannot handle the more intense updates and would make the devices worse after the update than before. Sort of like IOS4 on the 3gs. Not to mention just because apple isn't updating the devices doesn't mean they all the sudden quit working. Just because it won't get IOS8, the iPhone 4 will still be a good option for many. Updates aren't everything. Don't fret.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
What do you expect them to do support the devices forever? The hardware simply cannot handle the more intense updates and would make the devices worse after the update than before. Sort of like IOS4 on the 3gs. Not to mention just because apple isn't updating the devices doesn't mean they all the sudden quit working. Just because it won't get IOS8, the iPhone 4 will still be a good option for many. Updates aren't everything. Don't fret.

Great! You just had to go and insert logic into the discussion.....

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking iOS 8 will only work with the 5s|5c|5 from a phone perspective. If rumors are true that we're gonna get a larger iPhone, I can't see developers being happy about the need for adapting their apps for 3 screen sizes. Granted, I know nothing about this, so it could be meaningless and easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking iOS 8 will only work with the 5s|5c|5 from a phone perspective. If rumors are true that we're gonna get a larger iPhone, I can't see developers being happy about the need for adapting their apps for 3 screen sizes. Granted, I know nothing about this, so it could be meaningless and easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

Developers will support it if they want to make money. I feel like there are way to many users with the 4s to just completely leave them out in the dust. And if rumors are true of a larger iPad they will have 3 sizes to support for the iPad anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal