How to block an unwanted iMessage sender without adding the sender to Contacts

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Today I receive a rare, but unwanted and unexpected "spam" iMessage. Looked for options to block the sender, but noticed that I have to add the sender first to Contacts, and then I'm able to block.

This happened while at work, and I didn't have unlimited time to research alternatives. This evening I read the KB (below), which confirms that I need to add the unwanted sender first, and then I can block.

Is there any risk to adding the unwanted sender to my contacts? The sender is only identifiable by a URL such as name.com. I didn't put the actual name here so as to not "spread" more spam.

The other unnerving part about this is that the same iMessage (in an unread state) was waiting for me on my MacBook at home.

Suggestions welcome for workarounds or the best way to approach this.

iOS 7: Understanding call and message blocking

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
adarusyh.jpg

Here's a number that I don't have in my contacts and I'm able to block them.

Is the sender a short code or is it an email?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Sure thing. Blanked out the sender and URL details, but left enough to help give an idea.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 18

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
That was it. I didn't dig deep enough after reading the Apple KB. Clicking on Contact as shown in the screenshot above exposed options for Phone, FaceTime, and the "i" circle. Clicking on the "i" brought up the option way down at the bottom of this spam sender's Info page. What I failed to do was scroll down all the way to the bottom of the Info page. That's where the "Block this Caller" option was "hiding". I didn't notice that I needed to scroll down further as there was no visible slider bar on the right hand side of the screen. Shows you how much I use the Contacts and related pages :)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
That was it. I didn't dig deep enough after reading the Apple KB. Clicking on Contact as shown in the screenshot above exposed options for Phone, FaceTime, and the "i" circle. Clicking on the "i" brought up the option way down at the bottom of this spam sender's Info page. What I failed to do was scroll down all the way to the bottom of the Info page. That's where the "Block this Caller" option was "hiding". I didn't notice that I needed to scroll down further as there was no visible slider bar on the right hand side of the screen. Shows you how much I use the Contacts and related pages :)

LOL cool glad you found it!