Iphone 4s left side of keyboard not working after ios 7.1.2 update

mcantin

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
As I mentioned in the title, the left side of my keyboard ( the q, shift and alphabetical to numerical buttons) are not working. I did a soft and hard reset and those did not work. I cannot restore my iphone because my itunes password a 1 it ( the same position as q on the alphabetical keyboard). Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Instead of doing the resets which was a smart move on your part, go ahead and back up your phone and then do a clean reinstall of the OS. I don't know if you did it OTA or tethered to iTunes but at this point I would do the backup as well as the clean install through iTunes. It sounds like you got a bad install and this will clear it up. Please remember to do a backup and after the clean install, use your backup to restore your previous settings and what ever else you had on it. Good luck and please let us know how it worked out.

Sent from my iPad Retina using Tapatalk Pro!

mcantin

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Instead of doing the resets which was a smart move on your part, go ahead and back up your phone and then do a clean reinstall of the OS. I don't know if you did it OTA or tethered to iTunes but at this point I would do the backup as well as the clean install through iTunes. It sounds like you got a bad install and this will clear it up. Please remember to do a backup and after the clean install, use your backup to restore your previous settings and what ever else you had on it. Good luck and please let us know how it worked out.

I went through the start screen and i am entering in the password and the buttons still do not work

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What are you referring Inside my quote that you are entering what password in the start screen. What does that have to do with the one part of your keyboard not working? I don't understand now what you are getting at? Sorry. Some more info please from you.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What are you referring Inside my quote that you are entering what password in the start screen. What does that have to do with the one part of your keyboard not working? I don't understand now what you are getting at? Sorry. Some more info please from you.
I was asking you to do a complete clean install of your OS which will likely clear up a bad install.

mcantin

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I am on the start up screen (on iphone phone setup) where it says hello and tells you to enter in your itunes password and i cannot even enter the password because the left side of the keyboard is still not working.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok thank you. That is to finish setting up iCloud. So on that part of the keyboard you did as I suggested and did a new install and it obviously did not clear it up.
What phone do you have and is it a jail broken phone? If your answer is no to my question I would now recommend going to your nearest Apple store if you have a phone as I asked so if it is in warranty they can take care of it for you.

mcantin

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I have not jailbroken it and I had to replaced my previous and got this new iphone 4s that is 2 months old! I am not forking out another $199 because apple broke my phone.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok just so I understand you got a 2 month old 4s from somewhere, you did a new update and App,e broke your phone. Where did you get the 4s? If it was 100% brand new and was sealed and got it from a legit outlet then it should have a 1 yr warranty on it. Apple should stand behind it if you take it to their store to verify all this. Anything else I can't help you any further as things are becoming a bit blurry now. Best of luck to you and hope you get it resolved.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
If you got it new, then at only two months, it's still under warrentee. Take it back to Apple or the carrier you got it from for a repair or replacement. If the problem persisted after a full restore, it's hardware. Which is where I was going with my earlier question.

Double ROT13 encrypted for your protection

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It is just what I answered him and as a few things are getting a bit fuzzy I think we are on the same page. I wish the OP the best.

mcantin

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I got the iphone from apple. I do have one more question. The iphone i took in was out of warranty and I had to pay $199 for the new one. I did not purchase apple care or anything. Does the new phone come with a free 1 year warranty or did I have to purchase a warranty?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
We both told you if you just bought this phone from Apple 2 months ago brand new or even refurb it comes with a new 1year warranty so let them Handle it even though it is hard to believe Apple sold a new 4s but won't rule it out. Good luck in your endeavor with Apple.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
even though it is hard to believe Apple sold a new 4s but won't rule it out. Good luck in your endeavor with Apple.

IIRC, the 4s is the "free with contract" phone since the 5s/5c came out. The original 5 was discontinued, since the 5c has all the same internal parts.

If he had to pay for it, then likely it was bought off contract, but that wouldn't effect the warranty status.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
IIRC, the 4s is the "free with contract" phone since the 5s/5c came out. The original 5 was discontinued, since the 5c has all the same internal parts.

If he had to pay for it, then likely it was bought off contract, but that wouldn't effect the warranty status.

I would agree with you where it would not affect the warranty at all.