help, every hour my iPhone 4S keeps downloading data

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It is not much, as you can see, but every hour the phone is downloading data, it is synching to something, somewhat, but I am not sure what app. Even at the sleeping hours when the phone is connected to home Wifi, it is still downloading data instead of using the home Wifi.

Apps that are on the phone (iPhone 4S, latest iOS7)
BBM
Google Doc
Google Translate
Google Map
Google Hangout
Google Drive
Pacman
Flappy Bird.

Thanks.

Untitled.png

tech guy4

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have Hurd in sleep the wifi goes off, mite be it is checking email, I turn off cellular when using wifi, crazy I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have Hurd in sleep the wifi goes off, mite be it is checking email, I turn off cellular when using wifi, crazy I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it is checking emails, every iOS 7 devices should do this, but I do not see this on my iPhone 5. Does your iOS 7 device also do this? Thanks.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Turn off notifications for all of these.
Turn off automatic updates.
Turn off instant uploads if they happen to be on.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
It's probably the app auto refresh. It's a data drain. Auto app update can be but it's more sporadic. The auto app refresh is like a never ending running data spigot. I keep that turned off. If I don't use an app all day why do I want to constantly update??

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
It could also be iCloud backup. Unless you need it turn that off. Remove the account from iCloud. It's another data drain.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I investigate this further, and I found that this is unrelated to iOS as apparently my BB Z10 is also downloading data every hour (although at different hours).

I use AT&T as my carrier.

I think I am going to ***** to AT&T and find out why they are doing this? To exhaust users of their data limit? It's like 1-2 MB per day, if you count the whole month, that's like 30-60MB wasted on this.

RoCutler

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Could be a number of things.
Go Settings, Mobile.
you'll see a section for "Use Mobile Data For"
Turn off what you don't want, Im sure some of these report back to their servers on a regular basis.

micull

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
What you are looking at is your current period billing. AT&T will not itemize the actual usage until it gets reported on your next statement. What you are seeing is just a general reporting of your usage from the previous 1 hour block. It says so down at the bottom. I had the same issue (but in 3 hour blocks) and the rep told me that I had an app "refreshing" every 3 hours and to go turn off the data usage for each app. This was not true so call back and speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.