Simple Solutions: How to Sort Photos Into Albums AND Delete From Camera Roll

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
One of the most frequent complaints I hear about iOS is about how it handles photo organization. Essentially, Apple treats photos in the Photos app the same way it treats music in iTunes: one all-encompassing Library (be it for music or photos) with multiple ways of getting to the files hosted in that library (playlists in iTunes, photo albums in the iOS Photos app).

It's not a new system, but for some reason users view it differently on iOS (perhaps because so many iOS users don't actually use iTunes, and so are unfamiliar with the Library/Playlist format). The most common complaint is that a photo cannot be deleted from the Camera Roll (the "Library") without it also being removed from any album it has been placed in.

The misconception comes from the idea that putting a photo in an album actually makes a copy of that photo--on iOS, it doesn't. Putting a photo in an album is simply a way of sorting your photo so that it's easier to find--tap the thumbnail and iOS is still pulling the same image that lives in the Camera Roll. Deleting the image from the Camera Roll deletes the only version of the image, meaning, of course, that the link to that image from the Album is also deleted. Yet a great many people want photos in Albums and an empty Camera Roll.

As it turns out, Apple provides a built-in solution in the form of Shared Photo Streams. Different from the more limited My Photo Stream feature, Shared Streams allow you to create a cloud-hosted album that can contain a huge number of photos. And--this is the crucial difference--once you upload a photo to one of your streams, you can delete it from your Camera Roll. Because it's in your shared stream you can still access it from your device (in fact, you'll be able to access it from any iOS device or Mac using the same iCloud account). The key is simply this: whenever you need a new "album" for your photos, create a new Shared Stream instead. Upload your photos, and you're then free to delete those photos from your Camera Roll--they won't be removed from the Shared Stream.

Hopefully this helps make sorting photos easier for users out there who can't come to grips with Apple's approach!

(Source)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for posting this information for our members, Massie, and it is right on time, too. Thank you, again, sir...:)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do the Photos take up internal storage space on the phone? I know it doesn't take space in iCloud. But this sounds a lot like Verizon Cloud. Verizon Cloud does take space on the phone.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure. If I remove the photos from the photo stream. It still shows what I have in the phone. Which is 445 photos. It doubles if if I put them back in photo stream with the shared albums.
The number is inaccurate, when I look what's in the phone. It is telling me 1331 photos.
I only have 445 photos sorted out in albums. Last I checked, that is 890 photos.
I think what it is doing. It is counting the recently added photos and what I have sorted in the albums.
But that number that shows in the phone to what I add up is still 890. So I don't know where the other 442 is coming from.
Unless it is also adding the photos that I have in the shared folder. So what's actually on the internal storage is a mystery.
At any rate, I am curious. I will leave the photos in the shared albums. And see what happens in 30 days.

Edit: One thing I find is a certainty. iTunes is still essential for syncing your phone. Moving photos between devices is much easier with iTunes, than iCloud.
I also downloaded a couple of ringtones from Zedge, I need iTunes to bring the files to my device.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73