Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Question Not sure what's going on with iPhone :(

I feel as though I have been hacked or something. But everyone keeps telling me that my iPhone can not get hacked into. But for the last few days now it's been totally acting up and things are missing. Started with my email actually...had to send a letter to my lawyer and I know I sent it but at 3:15 a.m. the next morning (while my side of the world is asleep) I receive a email from the postmaster@thenameoflawyer'sbusiness.com when I awoke in the morn...So this was on a Sat. morning now...I've never seen anything like this before and I didn't open it on my laptop just in case so I looked at it on my iPhone and it just said that my letter couldn't be delivered at that time. But again I didn't do anything with the letter that I had already sent because in my folders it had already said sent so I don't know what that was all about but I got another one of those emails again later that same day and this time I decided to take the letter I already sent and just forward it to him at his personal email and let him know about all of this stuff as well...He did get my email and doesn't know what was going on with the office email due to he's been out with the flu.

But I get too nervous very easily when comes to stuff like this so I immediately changed my pw's for both FB & my email no problems at all for the first few days. Then something else happened with my email so I changed my pw once again to be safe. And it was that moment that I changed my pw on my laptop and when I went to do the same thing on my iPhone I have a major problem now. When I go into my phone I notice I'm missing an app right off the bat...how you're gonna ask? Because I only have the one page filled with my apps and there are no empty spaces at all and when I went in this time there were 2 empty spaces so you can't miss that. But when I went to attempt to work on my email again and change the pw to what it is on my laptop etc. etc. etc. I keep getting this message that says "Server Unavailable" Try Again Later. Each and every single time I try to set my email up again I get that. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong...and I'm extremely nervous that I've been hacked or something. Does anyone have any advice on this at all? I'd really appreciate any help whatsoever

Default Re: Not sure what's going on with iPhone :(

In regard to the first paragraph, the server handling the recipient's email was probably having problems ir there could have been a power outage or something. The reason you got a repeat failure to deliver message is because your email service will attempt to deliver the message several more times before quitting for good.

Regarding the second paragraph, I highly doubt you've been hacked. In your rush to change your password, is it possible that you signed out of the Apple Store and signed in with a new Apple ID and password unfamiliar to Apple? Have you tried rebooting the device?
    iEd
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

As far as the email issues I get the postmaster reply sometimes usually if I made a error in the address or the recipients email has a problem.

I also get sever unavailable also from time to time on my Mac but sending emails from iPad or iPhone works when this happens. Usually I just wait it out or sometimes I delete the email account and add it back.

As far as the disappearing app. It's possible you deleted it by accident. I've done this also. I don't believe someone can remotely access your iPad and delete a app.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Regarding the second paragraph, I highly doubt you've been hacked. In your rush to change your password, is it possible that you signed out of the Apple Store and signed in with a new Apple ID and password unfamiliar to Apple? Have you tried rebooting the device?
    See that's just it...I was in no hurry at all to change my password on my phone...I wanted to make sure that everything was all set up correctly on my laptop.

Not to sound stupid altho I probably will...lol...how does one sign out of the Apple Store when your on your iPhone...I don't think I ever do that...are you supposed to? I just always go in there and easily find apps that I'm looking for or whatever it may be...huh...

Yes...I've rebooted the phone several times now. I also was just recently reading a thread over in the Trending Now i believe it was...Apple appears to have been hacked...and after reading thru some of this that's what started scaring me. On top of the fact that I feel I have my router set up wrong but...

When I'm trying to set up my email on my iPhone the one thing I don't understand why it's not letting me is because it's my go to for Apple...if you can understand that. That email is everything for my apple id etc...so why can't I set it up again...I don't get that part...and why is the server down for this is the 3rd day now for my iphone but I can get on it on my laptop...crazy huh...this is why I'm nervous...lol
    iEd
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

You can sign out the App Store on a iDevice by going to settings iTunes and App Store then tap on your Apple ID and select sign out.

As far as Apple being hacked there is no official word that I know of. They would make a announcement if sensitive info was compromised.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Well I say that I know for sure I didn't delete any app whatsoever I'm positive of that. I guess my problem is why I can't set up my email account anymore. It's just a yahoo account so I'm baffled as to why the sever is down for 3 days now and yet I can get on it from my laptop.
    iEd
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Have you tried deleting the yahoo account and then adding it back on. My yahoo account is working fine from all my devices.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

I actually did. I deleted the entire account and then cleaned the phone...ya know the usual cleanout the website data then clear the history then the cookies and then I always reset my statistics and close all open windows and power down for about 5 min. give her a rest then reboot her. All clean...and when I go to add my yahoo email I get the same thing as before the Server Unavailable Try Later...I don't get it...
    iMore Newbie

Have you tried to use a different mail app? I assume you are doing this in the Apple mail app. Yahoo has an app in the app store called "Yahoo Mail". Personally, I only use Apple mail app for my work email account and I use Yahoo Mail app for my yahoo. I have the two as I find I get junk mail from time to time with Yahoo and don't want to deal with that in the Apple Mail app and have it mixed in with my work email.
    As far as the Yahoo Mail app goes, it seems to work pretty good, never had an issue with it.

This only tells if you can get your yahoo mail on your device but doesn't solve your problem.
    Last edited by pcNevamore; 01-17-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added line

I had something similar a few weeks ago when I would send an email and I kept getting an error message. I deleted the email account on my device and then re-added it. Everything's been fine since. Good luck!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

OMG...how annoying...this is now my 4th attempt of trying to post my message here. I tried 3x's before from my iPhone and just when I was just about done everything would disappear and go to a different thread...all 3 x's and each time what I wrote was gone and that's what really ticked me off...so hopefully it'll work from my laptop.

I tried again today and I still got the same thing as all the times before..."Server Unavailable" and the thing I don't understand is I googled some info and was able to see yahoo from there with no problem but why can't I add my email thru the Yahoo that Apple supplies us with...especially if I had it that way before. I completely rely on that email because it has my entire life in it. Not just my contacts but it holds my calendars and appts also all my reminders...there's just so much that my yahoo email has stored for me from my iPhone(if that makes) and without me being able to get it back I'm totally lost without it.

But while I was reading thru some of the stuff I was trying to do with it last night I was looking at the bottom of the pages and found some interesting stuff as well...nothing that's going to help me right now but I definitely bookmarked the pages I guess I really have no other choice then but to call Yahoo Support and/or Apple support and see if they can help me with this. There's just no reason for this to not be working anymore.

Sorry Doez you're having such issues. I would call my carrier support. If that doesn't work try yahoo support. I hope it gets resolved soon for you. Good luck.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    Sorry Doez you're having such issues. I would call my carrier support. If that doesn't work try yahoo support. I hope it gets resolved soon for you. Good luck.
    Thanks...I was on hold yesterday for over 2+hrs with Yahoo customer support and this young woman younger than me was trying to help me...she was doing the same things I was doing and it still wasn't working...came up as "Server Unavailable. Try Again Later" and then she tried to add it another way and got the same message. So I struck out with Yahoo support the only thing I did get was reference # just in case I needed it to get back into it or something. I did check into my Apple ID's and such to make sure I was still signed in etc. with all that and I was still signed in there and everything looked good. Now if I just knew how to contact Apple so I could speak to someone without getting charged for it I'd be a happy camper...lol
    Last edited by DoeZ; 01-19-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoeZ View Post
    Thanks...I was on hold yesterday for over 2+hrs with Yahoo customer support and this young woman younger than me was trying to help me...she was doing the same things I was doing and it still wasn't working...came up as "Server Unavailable. Try Again Later" and then she tried to add it another way and got the same message. So I struck out with Yahoo support the only thing I did get was reference # just in case I needed it to get back into it or something. I did check into my Apple ID's and such to make sure I was still signed in etc. with all that and I was still signed in there and everything looked good. Now if I just knew how to contact Apple so I could speak to someone without getting charged for it I'd be a happy camper...lol
    I've gone through Verizon tech support before to get to Apple. Have you tried contacting your carrier support? If they can't help they should transfer you to Apple support.
    DoeZ likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoeZ View Post
    Make an appointment at the Apple Store Genius Bar...
    DoeZ likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

I'm so very sorry everyone...I've tried posting my update from my iPhone several times over and over again and I get to the point where I'm almost done and I'm trying to move it up just a bit and then somehow it's completely gone and I have no clue on where it went and how to get it back. It's happened to me 4x's now and I guess I just forgot about it completely until now. My apologizes

Well I basically tried everything and googled everything I could about it as well. I finally got in touch with Yahoo Customer Support and I ended up waiting on hold for over 2 1/2 hrs for someone to pick up the line and start helping me. And I know...some of you are sitting there and saying wth did you sit there for that amount of time for? I honestly had no choice what else was I supposed to do...it's a Yahoo email account that I'm having problems with so I had to wait. And finally when I did get that Customer Support it was a young lady with a slight accent (not asian or mexican more like german or something) but she seemed patient...at first...I told her the entire story and she basically had me try the things that I've been trying for days now except she had me try to add the email a different way but it still didn't work. So she basically just gave me the # of my ticket if I needed to call back for more help but she couldn't help me. And that call ended. Now what really ticked me off with this call was that she didn't even bother to look deeper into anything just brushed it off because she yawned and maybe needed a smoke break or something. But whatever I don't give that easily...I looked into my apple account and see that I'm still signed in with that email account which is good and I scrolled to the bottom where it said to contact apple...so I clicked that and got to another screen and it asked me another question something about my problem which wasn't listed there and it took me to another page and then it asked me why I thought that Apple should help me this time basically for free...and somehow I got thru and typed in whatever info it asked and my phone number and a tech person from Apple called me not even 2 min later. I was like holy cow that was fast lol. Nothing like that wait time over at Yahoo. But I get another female tech person (no offense against female techs I'm female as well) she starts asking me questions and I'm explaining everything to her and she's listening to me...so we tried the things once again and they didn't work again so she wasted no time at all and got her senior tech guy and he came on the line and asked a few questions...questions about second sign-in verification...Now I had set up on my laptop that when I sign into my yahoo on my laptop i need a code first and I get that from my iPhone but I did try once to set up the second sign-in verification but I also thought that I had deleted it. because I had no problems with it before and I was changing pw's before and had no problems at all. Well this tech person walked me thru step by step of how to get rid of it and then how to set up my yahoo mail again with no problem at all. So all is good again. Yahoooo!!

The one thing that I pointed out in my review for Yahoo when they sent me a review on how they did...I told them that I found it disgusting that I was on hold for over 2 1/2 hrs with this problem and the tech person couldn't figure it out and brushed me off so when I called Apple I was connected in 2 min. and within a 1/2hr my entire problem was solved and it wasn't even a Apple product but a Yahoo product. What's that tell you. Now where do I move all my email? Thanks so much everyone for all you support and suggestions. I really appreciate it. You Rock

Use your iCloud account. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Is there a limit in the iCloud accounts? I know there is for the storage...