This is really ticking me off - Safari keeps crashing

Star-Lord

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Occasionally Facebook will crash bit safari does it far more often. Only thing I can see is a lot of Low Memory reports in Diagnostics settings.

What can I do from here? Is it because I have a lot of tabs open?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I moved this thread to the iOS 7 forum as this is what the Crash issue is related to. That said, there are thousands of people including myself with this exact issue. I don't believe the number of tabs open has anything to do with this as I've only one tab open at a time and still had Safari crash on my new iPad Air and iPhone 5S. There are a number of suggestions out there to fix this like; resetting network settings, clear cookies and data, and restoring the device and setting it up as new. However, I have done all of these with my iPad Air and Safari still crashed. I'm currently using the Chrome browser and haven't had it crash since a week ago. This seems to be a far more stable browser for iOS 7 than Apples own Safari, which is sad.... Good news is that I've been reading that the Crash issue has been resolved for a lot of people running the iOS 7.1 beta 2 update.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've often wondered if these crashes are a result of the 1GB of ram.
I know when I use the swipe back feature in safari I get maybe 15 swipes before things start to bog down and it seems to reload the page instead of being instantly available.

For what it's worth though, I have the same crashing issue on the air as I did on my ipad 3. Same frequency and circumstances.

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Funny, safari isn't crashing on my phone. Then again, I haven't been using it a ton. At least it seems to be fixed in 7.1

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've never had this issue unless I have other apps open in the background.

My settings:
I'm not signed in to iCloud and I have search suggestions and preload top hit turned off in settings -> safari -> smart search field

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387291511.488923.jpg

Also I'm not signed in to twitter so shared links don't appear.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know what to tell you. Safari works and have worked on my devices running iOS 7 and prior without ever crashing, and I use it daily. Low memory? It's possible, but could be the primary cause of the memory leak? Do you use any extensions or plugins with it? If so, disable them and see if that helps.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a problem with Safari crashing on any of my Apple devices...so perhaps a restore is in order? Maybe a simple hard reset on your phone?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes this occurs due to the spotlight search. Just a suggestion, try disabling spotlight search. It helps speed up the device.

Star-Lord

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll try that, but I just had an app close on me 4 times in 5 minutes. Never had a problem like this before on my previous iphone.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't use safari much anymore but it works for me on 7.0.4 and 7.1; which is what I'm running now. Have you tried to clear your cookies/data?

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Safari is definitely causing my ipad3 to reboot more often, from 1-3 times a day on average. Often, it involves me multitasking out of or into Safari, but can sometimes involve a seemingly innocuous task like scrolling through a website too quickly.

Not sure what the root cause is though. Insufficient RAM? Inherently buggy IOS?

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Safari is definitely causing my ipad3 to reboot more often, from 1-3 times a day on average. Often, it involves me multitasking out of or into Safari, but can sometimes involve a seemingly innocuous task like scrolling through a website too quickly.

Not sure what the root cause is though. Insufficient RAM? Inherently buggy IOS?

I started a thread about this on my own. I've been through about 3 iPads, did tons of resets, genius appointments and each one I've had crashed without restore. Sometimes I never loaded any apps and it still crashed. I envy the people that this doesn't happen to as it's the one thing I hate about my new ipad. So for all of you who it does not happen to can you do me a favour ? (A7 chip only ) go on twitter using safari on someone's page, tap to load a couple of pages and then quickly scroll back up to the top. Safari usually crashes at this point. Safari also crashes On a couple of sites I use for school and my local news and even imore. Quite annoying and I can't wait til it's fixed.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I started a thread about this on my own. I've been through about 3 iPads, did tons of resets, genius appointments and each one I've had crashed without restore. Sometimes I never loaded any apps and it still crashed. I envy the people that this doesn't happen to as it's the one thing I hate about my new ipad. So for all of you who it does not happen to can you do me a favour ? (A7 chip only ) go on twitter using safari on someone's page, tap to load a couple of pages and then quickly scroll back up to the top. Safari usually crashes at this point. Safari also crashes On a couple of sites I use for school and my local news and even imore. Quite annoying and I can't wait til it's fixed.

Just did what you said and safari quit on me cause of low memory, opened the log file and found the culprit:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387426725.863066.jpg

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73