How to migrate content from iOS6 to iOS7 iPad?

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have an iPad2 and am looking forward to receive in the coming days a new iPad Air. :)

My iPad2 is running the latest release of iOS6 and I do not intend to upgrade it to iOS7, as I feel that the iPad2 hardware is running fine with iOS6, while it might not run as smooth with iOS7, as seen by others. Therefore please consider that an upgrade to iOS7 (even if eventually helpfull in this operation) is a No-Go (as there is no rollback option to iOS6)

My iPad Air will come with iOS7 pre-installed. Sizewise, the available space on the iPad Air will double.

My backups are done via iTunes on my iMac.

+++++++++++++
My question:

How can I best migrate the information from my iPad2 to my new iPad Air
+++++++++++++

I am especially looking into all the smaller configuration settings and account details which I would like to have automatically tranfered to the new device?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just create an iCloud and/or iTunes backup just before turning on your new iPad Air for the first time. Afterwards, and during the setup process of your new iPad Air, select to restore from the backup you just made.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Connect the iPad2 to iTunes... do a back-up... then during the set-up process to the iPad Air, you'll be asked if you want to restore the back-up... say yes... and then sync to iTunes and then Air should be set up exactly as the iPad2 is/was... it's really that simple.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Connect the iPad2 to iTunes... do a back-up... then during the set-up process to the iPad Air, you'll be asked if you want to restore the back-up... say yes... and then sync to iTunes and then Air should be set up exactly as the iPad2 is/was... it's really that simple.

But don't you have to be running the same iOS version to restore from an iCloud backup?

Tapatalking on the N7....

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Indeed it was an operation that went very smooth.

Here are the steps

(1) Back-up of the iPad on iOS6 with iTunes (as encrypted backup to ensure all passwords were included)

(2) disconnecting the old iPad

(3) setting up the new iPad and connecting it to the iMac where the backup was done

(4) upon connecting the new iPad, iTunes asked whether it was to be rsstored from a backup or as a new device (choose to restore)

(5) the new iPad (with iOS7) "restored" all the apps, configs, files and settings.

(6) renamed the new iPad to a new device name (due to the restore the two iPads had the same name)

(7) started using the new iPad (and experience iOS7)

Guess this operation is very close to an update from iOS6 to iOS7, just that it also includes the transfer of a config to a new iPad.

Thanks to all for the tips - they worked out perfectly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro