Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts

Default Easiest way to setup and use brand new iPhone 5c without SIM (wifi only)

Hi folks,

I just found out I will be the lucky recipient of a new 5c which will be used for developing purposes, not my main phone. It should be unlocked and work with any carrier. However, I plan to use it on wifi only for now, to debug and test apps, not as a phone. I saw online that you need a SIM to have the phone function or setup at all, whereas other developer phones I've used have been able to function with no SIM, with almost every feature functioning (except the phone calling) over a wifi connection only.

So my question is, what is the easiest way to get the phone working out of the box on wifi only? Do I need to buy a cheap SIM without a plan attached, just to have it activate and set up? Is there a way to avoid a SIM altogether? I do not have a Mac but I assume for complete access to developer tools I will need one, as I don't see if there are SDK's available for Windows only (starting with say HTML PhoneGap porting of existing apps will be easiest to get started).

Any help appreciated (both on SIM issue and developer advice). Thanks!
    iMore Elite

Default Easiest way to setup and use brand new iPhone 5c without SIM (wifi only)

If you restore with iTunes you shouldn't have to use a SIM card to activate it (assuming it's unlocked) but it's not a bad idea to get a SIM card to keep around with no plan attracted to it just in case you need it. As for the developer part yes you will need a Mac to code apps for iOS.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S iPhone using
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Easiest way to setup and use brand new iPhone 5c without SIM (wifi only)

if you hook it up to itunes, you dont need a sim. you could even set it up without wifi if you want.

Global Posts
    5,897 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: Easiest way to setup and use brand new iPhone 5c without SIM (wifi only)

For the most part, yes you'll need a Mac for iOS app development. If you need something cheap, I'd suggest a Mac mini.
    If you're just going to be using PhoneGap, you could get away without the Mac by utilizing a service like TestFlight to get your in progress apps onto the phone.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll try using iTunes to set up an account without a SIM first but I'll probably just buy a cheap SIM card from a local carrier or computer store but not activate it on any plan (they seem to go for about $5-10). In the future, if I want to use the phone I could just call the carrier and they could activate my phone with a plan.

Thanks also for advice on the developer front. I'll see how far I can get without my own Mac, as far as simulation and using the service you mentioned. Perhaps I'll get a used Mac at some point!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by edyb View Post
    Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll try using iTunes to set up an account without a SIM first but I'll probably just buy a cheap SIM card from a local carrier or computer store but not activate it on any plan (they seem to go for about $5-10). In the future, if I want to use the phone I could just call the carrier and they could activate my phone with a plan.

Thanks also for advice on the developer front. I'll see how far I can get without my own Mac, as far as simulation and using the service you mentioned. Perhaps I'll get a used Mac at some point!
    Might I recommend a Hackintosh? Using a Core i3 3245, a Gigabyte GA-B75M mobo, and filling in the rest of the parts, you could easily get a PC running OS X for under 500, maybe even 400 bucks.
    Remember the wise old man named Google!
    iMore Nanite

Easiest way to setup and use brand new iPhone 5c without SIM (wifi only)-attempt-via-itunes.jpg

Regarding the claim that you can activate without a SIM via iTunes, well that is not working for me. Just got an iPhone 5 used from someone and provide factory unlocked from Verizon (all the 5 phones are unlocked). I reset the phone and then turn it on and find that the only way if can be activated is by inserting a SIM.

What is different about what I'm doing vs those who claim you can activate without a SIM?
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

SIM Card: Go to a T-Mobile store and get the pay as you go plan and pay $10 (last time I checked) for the SIM. Use it to activate the phone and you are all set.

Mac: Yes, you need the mac if you want to use xcode to write and debug apps. I have heard people using xamarin on PC but the problem with that is that you don't have the simulator to test the app so you will have to load it everytime on the developer iPhone to test it out. It gets old that way. If you are really going to develop and have some money to spare I would recommend getting the mac. MBP 13 retina base would probably work fine with most if not all of it.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

also, if you are looking for examples for certain API's I would check github. There are plenty of demo apps on the same to help to build the apps for the iPhone. You can always come back here with specific questions and we can try to help.