Has Apple Maps improved much since iOS 6?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello iMore,

Has Apple Maps improved much since iOS 6? What has been your experience so far on iOS 7?

For me I have noticed that the maps themselves in Phoenix seem to be more reliable, although Maps still likes to route me the "long way" most of the time.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I never had issues on iOS6 maps that I didn't have with my Garmin Nuvi765t... or Google's App... or TomTom app... Telenav... Navigon... sure, Apple Maps had issues at launch... I never saw much of that - and still works fine for me when I use it. Better all the time.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Where I am, google maps is more accurate than Apple maps. Apple maps doesn't even show where the high school is correctly in my town, it's not even on the right street. I've reported the correct location of the high school about 100 times since iOS 6 launched and it's still not changed. For some locations apple maps is ok but in my area it's not even close for the location of building (the street names is correct though where I live) so I'll be using google maps for now until Apple corrects some things in my area.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S on order) using Tapatalk

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Where I am, Apple Maps has not improved one bit. I've got streets mis-marked as divided or not divided, and businesses and addresses up to a mile away from their real locations. Issues not seen with any stand-alone GPS from I've seen or used, or any other map/navigation app I have tried or use on the phone. And this, of course, throws off the routing so that sucks, too.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
In my experience I have far less issues with Google Maps so that would be my choice, to answer the original question, in general Yes, the maps app has improved a lot since last year, it's not bad at all considering how new it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it often but when I do it's flawless. Yesterday I used it to get to the apple store in new haven and then to my favorite pizza place.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a handful of issues when I used Apple maps. Took me on out of the way routes, down wrong way of one way streets, etc., but I don't hate it. I understand that it'll take time to get to where Google is. Regardless, I've been using Google maps. Hasn't steered me wrong.....yet.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I use Google for searching as Maps still gets addresses completely wrong. I was surprised to even see that the only Apple Store in my area is marked incorrectly on it. However, Maps is leaps and bounds over Google's in terms of navigation. For that, I only use Maps.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like others, I liked the Maps app on iOS 6, and didn't have a problem with it. Having said that, I do think that the iOS 7 version is a bit better, especially in terms of looks.

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
No problem encountered. My home and work were 100m away from where they really are, now it's corrected.
All my relatives' places were correctly placed from the beginning. Just mine was flawed.

I like the night theme from Turn-by-turn navigation, and its integration with lock screen.
One feature I'd like is to be able to select routes without fees.

Oh and telling Siri "show me the way to grandma" in the car is just awesome :)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I like the integration of Apple maps and use it when I need it it's the same experience in iOS 7 as 6 for me and is pretty reliable in my area so far

Sent from my iPhone 5

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
zero hiccups in Melbourne and region. I'm sure there are potentially a lot of things not accurate a little further out, but as for the urban region it's doing a splendid job.