How to clear cached app data in iOS7?

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I just returned to iOS from a Nexus 4...and my return left me with one nagging question. Like android, is there an option in iOS that allows the user to clear cached data that some apps are storing? Particularly Instagram and Facebook, as these two seem to be stockpiling ridiculous amounts of data. Is it possible to clear caches on apps such as these without having to delete and reinstall them? I know some have the functionality baked into their code, such as Flipboard, but I'm wondering of its possible to do it on a system side level, maybe even from iTunes or something?

ktaifan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
re:

Just as Karen stated.
This is why I tend to leave 5-star reviews that implement a clear cache feature (Pocket, Echofon, Best Album Picasa photos manager, to name a few)

squeff

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

I just returned to iOS from a Nexus 4...and my return left me with one nagging question. Like android, is there an option in iOS that allows the user to clear cached data that some apps are storing? Particularly Instagram and Facebook, as these two seem to be stockpiling ridiculous amounts of data. Is it possible to clear caches on apps such as these without having to delete and reinstall them? I know some have the functionality baked into their code, such as Flipboard, but I'm wondering of its possible to do it on a system side level, maybe even from iTunes or something?

No, there is no way to force a cache clear. There are jailbreak apps that did this, but you'll need a phone and iOS version that allows jail breaking.

In theory, killing the app (double click button and swipe up in iOS 7) is supposed to also clear memory allocated to the app, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you think you are running slow due to unreleased memory, try killing all apps and then doing a reset (hold down both the power and home buttons at the same time). This still isn't 100%, but should do.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Well if you use the Safari browser to view FB you can clear the history cookies and data from the browser settings

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

amadeus_l

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

my first post on an iphone forum :)

hi, i understand your problem. you can force clear the cache using iFunbox for windows and mac. please google and search for the technique. another way is to leave it up to your iphone. somehow, the ios keeps cleaning cache periodically. last week, my facebook cache data was at 550mb plus and within three days it automatically came down to 50 mb.

hit thanks if it helped

james06_18

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

IOS cleans the apps automatically when they build up so much . search for " ios7 cleaning under app ". Hope this helps james....

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

Download CM Security from the app store. It works great and makes an ex-android user feel better.

Angelo108

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

Hey Hey .... iPhone means $$$ and apple means businness. how can they force you to buy a 32 or 64 GB phone if you are able to simply clean the cache like in an unexpensive android phone?

anyway, try phoneclean program 'imobie'.

;-)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

The problem with CM Security is it clears cache from apps that need the cache to run properly and do what you expect it to do. I get the huge cache of Facebook though. Deleting the app does the same thing. As far as RAM memory, the iPhone does a good job of managing that. I wouldn't use CM Security for messing with RAM. Let the phone do that.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

One of the reasons I like the App development using Objective C is that most of the junk is disposed off once you have used it. Yes, there is some data stored locally on the cache but once you force quit the app it should be released. If not right away, the iPhone will try to free up the space when it is running low on resources.

Lisa Sams

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

Thanks so much! Just used CM Security to clear out the junk. Now my eBay app doesn't freeze anymore. Since I use it for my business, I am truly grateful. Lisa

Trepap

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

You cannot do this on an iOS device but there is an app called CM Security that does this and boosts your iPhone's memory.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
re:

Moreover, you can try with this PhoneClean, it can help you Remove Junk Files & Clear Private Data on iPhone. including App Caches/Cookies/Temp files/Crash Logs, Photo Caches, Safari Cookies/Caches/History, and so on.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ILHNHJvJkA

Safari doesn't use cache. HTML 5 browsers don't have a cache. They have website data.

itpropmn07

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Try using 2 my apps to cleans RAM or Cache:

- "Memory & Disk Scanner Pro": This is a paid version but you can use trial before deciding to buy it or not. This app cleans RAM and Disk (temp file and cache) and suitable for advanced user.

- "Memory & Disk Scanner": This app provides a free version (only cleans RAM) and you can active to Pro Version (but Pro version different with "Memory & Disk Scanner Pro"). This app also cleans RAM and Disk, but it was designed very simple and removed some features than "Memory & Disk Scanner Pro". This is suitable for normal users.

My Suggestion: If you want to use for free (only cleans RAM), please download "Memory & Disk Scanner". If you want to buy it, I recommend you download "Memory & Disk Scanner Pro" and active it then.

PS: You can search them on AppStore. (no jailbreak).

Let try and send your feedback to me through the app.

Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods