In iOS 7, apps reset and refresh themselves and lose their place after switching back to them

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I had a long detailed description of the non-multitasking issue, with details of apps effected, related bugs, and descriptions of how it manifests on my two sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. But got a text. Then a call. Came back to Safari and everything I had typed for an hour was lost when Safari refreshed itself for no reason. How ironic, imagine that! Utterly useless. I am Sooooooo sick & tired of entering things multiple times over & over again. Have lost 100s of hours of work & progress. Running iOS 7.1. on Apple devices renders them useless, as the iPhone is no longer reliable as phone or both the iPhone & the iPad are useless as a multitasking smart mobile device.

There are a ton more bugs with iOS 7 besides this one, and there are many still outstanding from iOS 5 & 6, iTunes, iCloud, and other Apple components, some go back 3+ years or more, yet still remain unresolved by Apple. Their reoccurring theme is buy a new device & get everything current, and that will solve your problems. I've been on the iPhone since the first one, I can say for sure with confidence & conviction, jumping onto to the latest device & OS/update DOES NOT SOLVE THE ISSUES by a long shot! It's just Apple pushing to sell more iPhone, iPads, & the like, rather than spending the appropriate time & money into putting out truly engineered solutions...REAL FIXES...AND TESTING THOSE FIXES thoroughly & properly BEFORE RELEASING them to the public.

I have seen a disturbing pattern develop over the last few years, where just a couple months after a new device is released, my device, which is only one release behind that latest (in this case my two 64Gb iPhone 4S), begins slowing down, dogging, crashing, freezing hanging, burping, farting, losing sound, and developing more & more problems. Devices that I spent months debugging & fine tuning, 100s of hours on Apple Support sites, 3rd party tech sites (forums & blogs), Google'ing issues, trying solutions (most do not work or last), wasting more & more time, and losing more & more productivity, by attempting all the 'BAND-AID" SOLUTIONS Apple has been telling people to do... like resetting, DFU'ing, rebooting, turning features & functionality off, clearing memory, changing settings, erasing data, losing data, restoring to factory new, restoring from useless things Apple calls a 'backup', which is nothing even close to an actual backup, or what IT folks would consider being a even the very basic of backups, nor what a halfway decent and informed home computer user (consumer/Apple customer) would expect a backup to be, when using a modern product in this day & age. Its happened every single time Apple has released a new device. My device, that was working fairly well & running decently fast, after months & months of headaches & fine tuning, all of the sudden, it slows down and becomes unresponsive, sluggish, and develops a bunch of bugs. WHEN I DID NOT CHANGE OR INTRODUCE ANYTHING NEW!!! Its very clear that these are primarily SOFTWARE PROBLEMS, not device to computer problems that Apple has us chasing our tail with, or Apple is simply unresponsive on the topic, as they are with this one.

Time to dump Apple...!!! They are clearly not getting it, are not listening to customers, not investing the time & effort to truly fix & support their platform, and its getting worse with with each new release...!!! And with each release or step forward, we end up going 3 steps back & have to go through the same tech nightmares as the previous release, all over again. Its like Apple Groundhog Day! We need Bill Murray to help break the cycle...just like the movies...

I'm completely fed up with the utter nonsense that using Apple product has become. I need to regain my life back and get a frigging phone that simply works, so I can once again have somewhat normal & functional communications with my family, my friends, and my world. Is that too much to ask for or expect from a tech company charging $800 for phones & tablets...? Which in the case of Apple currently aren't worth a damn, because the its software & support is so horribly bad, and its business strategy is so draconian & whacked out. With a new CEO who is trying to recreate Apple in his own image, by doing stupid stuff like releasing a Fisher Price looking iOS7, breaking multitasking use, reducing features, and breaking/disabling/removing the better parts of the problem, rending it completely useless for 1000s of people. People who use these products to communicate & manage their families, for their jobs & livelihoods, and for critical emergencies or important matters, as well as our govt & military using these products for important aspects of running the country...

And this very expensive, unstable, unreliable, pain in the ***, Fisher Price looking phone & tablets is what Apple expects us to use & live with...? Even with such a large & arrogant company as Apple is. The Market will eventually deal with this issue and correct for it. People will not kept putting their lives at risk for a broken Fisher Price looking phone that doesn't work or gives them continual headaches. They will switch & they will buy something else. Particularly now, as it appears to be the tipping point for Apple...They are falling over... Market forces & competition with gladly & organically take their position from them... If loyal long time iPhone users like me, since day 1, are now leaving Apple just like me, then a mass exodus could be on its way... Wake up & smell the coffee Apple...

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same scenario with 2 sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. Did everything you did. The devices are all but useless. I used to love my iPhone & iPads. No I hate them & they've caused so much grief & headache. 100s of lost hours & progress. No functionality or productivity at all using Apple. If it doesn't get addressed soon. It's time to dump Apple. Enough is enough!

The problem is very wide spread. People are complaining all around the world & all over Apple support pages, tech forums, blogs, etc.

I had a long detailed description of the non-multitasking issue, with details of apps effected, related bugs, and descriptions of how it manifests on my two sets of iPhone 4S & iPad 2. But got a text. Then a call. Came back to Safari and everything I had typed for an hour was lost when Safari refreshed itself for no reason. How ironic, yet utterly useless. I am Sooooooo sick & tired of entering things multiple times over & over again. Have lost 100s of hours of work & progress. Running iOS 7.1. Devices are useless. There are a ton more bug with iOS 7 besides this one. Time to dump Apple.

[TIP]In the future, please select the "Reply with Quote" option when replying to a specific post. This will let us know to whom you're replying to. Thanks.[/TIP]

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
[TIP]In the future, please select the "Reply with Quote" option when replying to a specific post. This will let us know to whom you're replying to. Thanks.[/TIP]
Got it. Will do JustMe'd. I guess its especially important on a post like this one that has many pages & dozens of posts about this issue, as it would be hard to associate my reply to the corresponding post I replied to.

andreiru

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Seeing this on an iPad Air. Had it replaced at least 3 times at the store. Had it set as new. The problem wasn't as bad initially after the new install but slowly creeps back in. It's the way we use these that in part causes the memory overload. Others believe it's lack of ram. This happens on older and newer devices alike, along with reboots. Ios 8 beta reboots badly too. It seems it's the way the new ios' are designed. Because v.6 and below seem fine. Most frustrating on the maps app but happens with all of them.

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I've yet to have a reboot on iOS 8 beta 2. I'm humming along quite stably.

Depends how much you use the device, which apps, and if you're a light user or a heavy user. If you use Maps, Safari, FaceBook, Camera, you're not running stably as they all have known bugs & crash quite often. Doesn't always require a device reboot, though sometimes does, but are indeed crashes. Have you ever been on Safari or Facebook, and the app just quits & dumps you on the home page. That is a crash. Go to 'Settings/General/About/Diagnostics & Usage/Diagnostic & Usage Data' and you'll be able to see the amount of crashes, watchdog triggers, app panicks, reboots, etc. You be amazed how many things are crashing on a daily basis.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Depends how much you use the device, which apps, and if you're a light user or a heavy user. If you use Maps, Safari, FaceBook, Camera, you're not running stably as they all have known bugs & crash quite often. Doesn't always require a device reboot, though sometimes does, but are indeed crashes. Have you ever been on Safari or Facebook, and the app just quits & dumps you on the home page. That is a crash. Go to 'Settings/General/About/Diagnostics & Usage/Diagnostic & Usage Data' and you'll be able to see the amount of crashes, watchdog triggers, app panicks, reboots, etc. You be amazed how many things are crashing on a daily basis.

I have never had those apps crash. Now, I am not running iOS 8, which is in beta, which makes the big difference.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I only notice safari reload tabs after I use it for a long time (usually 1 hour). If I remember correctly safari keeps the last page you visit and the current page in memory for every tab you have open. Also zooming in on a web page uses more ram, the more you zoom in the more ram safari will use.
As for twitter refreshing I get that every time I exit the app and go back in no matter what, even if it's the only app running it will still refresh on its own.
As for other apps it varies for me, I could have Facebook, Safari, music, and google plus all open and switch between them all without any app refreshing, other times I could have Facebook and Safari open and both will refresh. This is what I've noticed on my 5S.
On my 4S it varied on what apps I had open and using (as of iOS 7.0.3). On my iPod touch (iOS 7.0.4/6, iOS 7.1) Safari would refresh tabs on me depending on how "heavy" the web page was. If my iPod had to render a lot on a web page more than likely it would refresh the tab if I switched.
One thing I have noticed that mobile sites won't refresh, or if they did it was rare.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Of course I've had apps crash both during the beta and on released versions. And yes I know all about the crash logs, etc. although I don't obsess about them. If they are not affecting my usage of the phone, I'm not bothered by them. Any computer system has those "hidden" crashes and events which get logged. Ever peered at Windows event manager and logs? or osx system logs?
Anyway I use my phone heavily although perhaps different apps than you. I was just relaying a different experience with regards to reboots.

OK, great, then you do know about the crashes & stability issues. Yes, I'm IT/techie type, I'm in Windows Event Manager & Crash Dump Logs, as well as OSx logs all the time. There's no obsession with them, in fact I prefer not to have to go to them, but when there is a loss of functionality, loss of data, prevents productivity & use, causing unreasonable delays, I have no choice but to go to the logs & chase down the issuer & try to resolve it. The thing about iOS7 & iOS8 beta, is they are definitely not 'hidden crashes', they are fundamental and prolific, and do in fact cause loss of functionality, loss of data/progress, prevent productivity & use, cause unreasonable delays & lockups, and in some cases a full blown warm or cold reboot. If you use Safari, the Camera, Maps, FaceBook, Global Search, and/or run several concurrent apps, then you have to encounter these more significant crashes, not 'hidden ones that don't affect my usage', as they are known, documented, & remain unresolved by Apple at this time, so you'd have no choice but to encounter them. And they do reboot your device as frequent as once a day, but as less frequent as once a week. That is assuming you use Maps, Camera, Safari, Global Search, Facebook, or the lockout screen, like most people do. And rather than me trying to convince or enlighten you, your best bet is to read for your yourself, use this site's bug lists for each iOS with comment threads, that document quite a few, or better yet, go to the source....Apple Support site & forums, do a couple simple searches on outstanding bugs, that cause minor or major user hindrance & device limitations, for iOS7 production release & iOS8 beta, and you'll be inundated with significant known, documented, & outstanding bugs for both iOS's. A boat load, and in the main apps like Maps, Camera, Safari, Global Search, Facebook, or the lockout screen. They unavoidable with even moderate usage. I mean Maps & Safari alone have tons & tons... All of the info is there plain as day for folks who choose to look at it.

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Nope. I don't run into issues with those apps. Wouldn't know about Facebook but the others you list work fine for me. I do not get forced reboots at least once a week. I'm not saying you don't have those problems, but I do not and not because I'm a not a "folks who choose to look at it". I'm a developer-mainly server side Java and web type stuff but I've done a bit of iOS development as well. I certainly have the technical skills to look into crashes and forced reboots if I was having them. But I don't.

Interesting... As a developer, your tech skills should definitely be above par. You must not use the built in Maps or Safari, as both have several major issues, like I mentioned known, documented, and unresolved bugs, including server side issues with Maps, where the Route functionality hangs, or does nothing, doesn't follow your live vehicle progress, or the app crashes, and Safari has memory leaks, hangs, & crashes, where it just quits, and you're booted back to the home screen. Does matter who uses any iPhone, as I said, these bugs are known, documented, & unresolved at the moment, so if you use those apps to any significant degree, at some point, on some kind of regular basis, you'd have to encounter them. There's just no way around it. So either your usage & duration in those apps is very light or nil, or these things are happening & your just not taking notice. As I mentioned in the last post, just goto to Apple's Support site & forums, and take a look at the list of outstanding bugs, and read some of the user comments. The facts are that these bugs are there and are corroborated with 1000s of users & confirmed by Apple, and there are several iOS level serious bugs that cause the de vice to hang, watch-dog, reboot under certain fairly common circumstances, again documented, corroborated, and acknowledged by Apple, and since you're a developer, you should know about the list of bugs in the integration & SDK package, which translate to run-time bugs & crashes within 3rd party apps, that are not the developing parties fault, as they are Apple integration bugs & limitations, soooo...kind of amazing, and actually pretty much impossible, that you use the apps in any significant manner and have no crashes or reboots at all, unless you simply don't use the device or those apps very much, or at min, maybe don't use them in a significant enough manner, where the device & apps are just not pushed hard enough to see the problems manifest.

There's not much else that can be said... The facts, physics, and reality involved are known by 1000's & verified by Apple, and they just don't change or disappear, for a certain user, sooo....just doesn't add up. I'll leave it at that. No point in continuing this further,

fiercerunner

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Let's just be honest here. iOS 7 is horrible and iOS 6 was way better. I don't know what the heck the developers were thinking. They didn't do jack-diddly-squat with the performance of the iPhone by updating to iOS 7. All they did was change the appearance. That's it. Everything else quite frankly just took a straight-up nose dive. I wish I could go back to iOS 6, but it seems there is no way to do that. How unfortunate. I suppose the only way to fix my problems now would be to go buy an iPhone 5 or higher, which apparently runs better with iOS 7.

I wonder if that's a coincidence? Or perhaps making iOS 7 a bit too much for the 4 or 4S was so that users feel compelled to go get a newer iPhone? Hmm... just like the sleek and slippery texture of the iPhone that makes it ridiculously -- no -- laughably easy to drop? But it's okay if they drop it because they'll probably be compelled to just buy another iPhone anyway! Hooray for profits!

I might be spouting off assumptions, but really, Apple makes me wonder sometimes. It really does.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's just be honest here. iOS 7 is horrible and iOS 6 was way better.
Since we're being real honest, you will find people who agree and disagree with your assumption.
I don't know what the heck the developers were thinking. They didn't do jack-diddly-squat with the performance of the iPhone by updating to iOS 7. All they did was change the appearance. That's it.
Does Control Center, iTunes Radio and Auto-App updates, iCloud Activation lock and AirDrop ring a bell?
Everything else quite frankly just took a straight-up nose dive. I wish I could go back to iOS 6, but it seems there is no way to do that. How unfortunate. I suppose the only way to fix my problems now would be to go buy an iPhone 5 or higher, which apparently runs better with iOS 7.

I wonder if that's a coincidence? Or perhaps making iOS 7 a bit too much for the 4 or 4S was so that users feel compelled to go get a newer iPhone?
It's simply business.
Hmm... just like the sleek and slippery texture of the iPhone that makes it ridiculously -- no -- laughably easy to drop?
Of course, carelessness or even a mere accident has nothing to do with it, right?
But it's okay if they drop it because they'll probably be compelled to just buy another iPhone anyway! Hooray for profits!

I might be spouting off assumptions, but really, Apple makes me wonder sometimes. It really does.
It's all good....:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2