iPad 3 vs iOS 7

tumnus

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
What are people's experiences with the 3rd gen iPad (the first to have retina) running iOS 7? I've been following some threads on the Apple forums and there are some common themes that I am experiencing myself:

• Laggy, choppy animation with transitions, going to the app switcher, etc.
    • Added in 7.0.3, the ability to turn off the zooming transitions in addition to the parallax has helped that a little bit. In 7.0 and 7.0.2, just turning off parallax did nothing helpful.
  • Extremely long delays whenever changing wallpaper. Takes maybe upwards of a minute to go through the steps of selecting and saving.
  • Whereas all the above are mostly cosmetic issues, the one that's really irksome is keyboard delays. Mostly when hitting shift -- say you're entering your password and it has a number in it... if you're used to hitting shift and then the number rather effortlessly and fluidly, now you need to wait about 1 second or else you end up hitting the non-shift character on that key. I know one second doesn't sound like a lot, but even if your typing speed is just mediocre, it really throws you off to have to wait.

I've read that people on iPad 2 and 4 have not had such problems. Speculation has it that 2 is fine because it doesn't have to deal with the retina overhead, and that the 4 is fine because it has more horsepower than 3.

I've also heard (unconfirmed) that iOS 7 wasn't really iPad ready when it was released, not as polished as it was for iPhones. Anyone know anything about this? I'm holding out hope that a future iOS release will fix some of these issues.

Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My iPad3 is fine with iOS7... I have no more issues than I did on iOS6... I've seen some of the same complaints... not experiencing them.

To the iOS7 isn't ready for iPad meme... heard that too... it didn't come out for the iPad in beta until like beta 3 or 4... so that's likely the origin of the meme...

tumnus

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
No keyboard lag with the shift button? Smooth animation when switching from landscape to portrait or vice versa? Hm. Out of curiosity, is yours wifi, CDMA, or GSM?

tumnus

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Keith. I doubt that would be the difference between our experiences, but I am trying to see what could be causing the different behaviors we're seeing.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hook up to iTunes, do a back-up... then restore the iOS to factory settings... set up as new... then restore the back-up.

HuKaShI

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I"m pretty sure that ios 7 may not have been perfectly optimized for use with all the iPad variations during launch. I'm sure that they are working on this as their are still many iPad 3's out there in the wild.

HuKaShI

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine is the WIFI version. I had gotten so fed up with the issue that I just decided to sell it and go with a new iPad Air!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox