Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By Massie
  • 2 Post By acerace113
  • 1 Post By Heisenberg
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Thumbs down What is the blue "i" button displayed next to my current WiFi connection?

I was really hesitant on upgrading this time round and it took me literally 5 days until I finally did. I really haven't noticed anything at first until I looked at my WiFi. I just noticed that I have blue ! after the signal strength bars. It wasn't there before. Does anyone else have blue ! by there WiFi? I just want to know what it means.
    The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. stone crumbles. wood rots. people, well, they die. but things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.

Global Posts
    14,476 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default re: What is the blue "i" button displayed next to my current WiFi connection?

Let us see a screen shot please and we'll try to help you out.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Default re: What is the blue "i" button displayed next to my current WiFi connection?

Sorry I never thought about that. And now I really hope I did that right because I couldn't see that little screen to upload the pix if my life depended on it. Ugh

What is the blue "i" button displayed next to my current WiFi connection?-image.jpg
    The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. stone crumbles. wood rots. people, well, they die. but things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,997 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You mean the letter "i" in a circle? It stands for Info. Tap it to see details about your wifi connection.
    Thanked by:
    DoeZ (10-28-2013)
    DoeZ, jmr1015 and perryfamily10 like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Thanks. It doesn't look like a "I" and I have pressed it before didn't get anything out of it.
    iMore Elite

Default Since I upgraded to IOS 7.0.3 UGH

Quote Originally Posted by DoeZ View Post
    Sorry I never thought about that. And now I really hope I did that right because I couldn't see that little screen to upload the pix if my life depended on it. Ugh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	41005
    The i gives you more info about your wifi connection. In iOS 6 it was a solid blue circle with a white arrow in it, Apple changed it in iOS 7.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using .
    Thanked by:
    DoeZ (10-28-2013)
    DoeZ and pr1nce like this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acerace113 View Post
    The i gives you more info about your wifi connection. In iOS 6 it was a solid blue circle with a white arrow in it, Apple changed it in iOS 7.
    Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using .
    See now I don't recall seeing it at all in IOS6. Honestly. And if it wasn't til just recently when all this started happening to me I probably wouldn't have noticed it either. But again with all this worry about hacking etc. and then me noticing this blue marking you have to understand my concerns. Thanks so very much for your explanations.
    iMore Elite

See now I don't recall seeing it at all in IOS6. Honestly. And if it wasn't til just recently when all this started happening to me I probably wouldn't have noticed it either. But again with all this worry about hacking etc. and then me noticing this blue marking you have to understand my concerns. Thanks so very much for your explanations.
    Well actually it's been there since iOS 3 at least but I can understand your concern. I usually use it for the "forget this network" button so I don't end up with a lot of network info on my iPhone or iPod touch

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using .
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Well actually it's been there since iOS 3 at least but I can understand your concern. I usually use it for the "forget this network" button so I don't end up with a lot of network info on my iPhone or iPod touch
    Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using .
    How do you use it for the "forget this network" because doesn't that delete the entire wifi itself then?
    iMore Elite

How do you use it for the "forget this network" because doesn't that delete the entire wifi itself then?
    "Forget this network" removes the password and network info from the iOS device. It's almost like "reset network settings" but you can forget the wifi network your currently connected to instead of all. For me it's useful.

Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (10-28-2013)

Global Posts
    3,482 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Changed the thread title to avoid confusion about the actual subject the OP started the thread for. And also for better search results.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    Thanked by:
    DoeZ (10-28-2013)
    DoeZ likes this.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

"Forget this network" removes the password and network info from the iOS device. It's almost like "reset network settings" but you can forget the wifi network your currently connected to instead of all. For me it's useful.

But it doesn't disconnect you from your WiFi at all? Just all your info?

Global Posts
    3,482 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

But it doesn't disconnect you from your WiFi at all? Just all your info?
    Yes, it disconnects you from that WiFi connection because it wipes out the logged password for that specific WiFi router.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    Thanked by:
    DoeZ (10-28-2013)
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yes, it disconnects you from that WiFi connection because it wipes out the logged password for that specific WiFi router.
    That's what I thought.