iOS 7.0.3: Clean or As Is?

robclif4d

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I know it's "best" to do a clean install of a new OS release, but all the work to download/configure fresh app installs....blah. Any negatives against installing an update on top of an existing build?

Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Installing OTA is fine… you always have the option of doing a clean install later in the event something goes hinky.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I did the OTA update and was getting random resprings randomly when opening apps.

I just did a full download/restore to 7.0.3, and so far no resprings.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
7.0 I restored and set up as new. 7.0.2. & 7.0.3 I just updated and kept rolling. Might have to restore for 7.1 off GP depending on how substantial of an update it ends up being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I know it's "best" to do a clean install of a new OS release, but all the work to download/configure fresh app installs....blah. Any negatives against installing an update on top of an existing build?

Thanks.

OTA seems to be fine. No issues. IMO really only need to do clean when you do a major OS update like v6 to v7 or after a single decimal update and you are experiencing issues.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
OTA seems to be fine. No issues. IMO really only need to do clean when you do a major OS update like v6 to v7 or after a single decimal update and you are experiencing issues.

That's the tribal knowledge that I know as well...a clean install is only needed when you're experiencing issues.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I always been doing clean install. Helps clean things up and remove old apps I never use.. think of it as spring cleaning.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I always been doing clean install. Helps clean things up and remove old apps I never use.. think of it as spring cleaning.

Same here, John. I just feel better after doing a clean install. In this regard, I updated OTA yesterday because I didn't have the time to do a clean install, but between today and Saturday, I will indeed erase everything and set it up as new. I always do. :)

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have never done a clean install without using a backup since iOS 4, I think. I have done restore as new, then restored from backup, but I don't think that counts. I have never noticed any problems.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never done a clean install without using a backup since iOS 4, I think. I have done restore as new, then restored from backup, but I don't think that counts. I have never noticed any problems.

I would argue that the same applies to a majority of users who do it that way, however, some people just aren't that fortunate. We have no idea of the stuff that people install on their devices. Some of the stuff I read about makes me wonder if their devices are possessed or something...lol...Anyway, I test a lot of apps and then end up deleting them so I prefer to install as new from time to time just to wipe any leftover crap that may be present and could *possibly* pose a problem down the line. Know what I mean?...:)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Now that I had this 8gb nano for my vehicle and have deleted a ton of apps that i seldom use, it is quite possible to always do a clean install since I won't have to put all the music back on or add and setup as many apps.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I would argue that the same applies to a majority of users who do it that way, however, some people just aren't that fortunate. We have no idea of the stuff that people install on their devices. Some of the stuff I read about makes me wonder if their devices are possessed or something...lol...Anyway, I test a lot of apps and then end up deleting them so I prefer to install as new from time to time just to wipe any leftover crap that may be present and could *possibly* pose a problem down the line. Know what I mean?...:)

I get it. I wasn't trying to say a clean install is wrong, I was just saying I am too lazy to reinstall everything and it has seemed to work out fine so far. Also, I am not a super heavy user and don't tend to have apps that store a lot of data, etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2