Should Apple allow users to downgrade their OS?

nyry

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I just think its ridiculous that Apple is passive-aggresivley forcing people to update to iOS7 by downloading it to people's phones without permission and taking up valuable space even when the user may not want to update.

chris_328

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
There is already fragmentation of the platform because not all devices get the latest updates or features of the new OS
How come that there is fragmentation?! Prior to the final release of IOS 7, iPad 2 users did not have photo editor filters and square shots! But now on, I'm surprised that those unavailable features were now available in the final release!

chris_328

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Running in my iPad 2, IOS 7 looks as smooth as in IOS 6. I don't want to downgrade to 6 but my suggestion is not to auto update if A newer IOS is released.
-Still happy w/ my iPad 2 :)

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
i do not think so ,,without jailbreak ur device its not possible ....... we cant downgrade officially in ios device
till date there is no options to going down in ios from apple server ......???????

nyry

May 31, 2012
Visit site
i do not think so ,,without jailbreak ur device its not possible ....... we cant downgrade officially in ios device
till date there is no options to going down in ios from apple server ......???????

Nope. Unless you Jailbreak, like you mentioned and spoof iTunes into thinking the fake server youre running along ith your saved shsh blobs is the actual Apple server that authenticates the update.

What Apple does is they dont sign or "authenticate" any update that isn't the latest one for the device to prevent people from going back to the previous versions.

redevil1987

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, it seems a bit counterintuitive (if I'm even using the right word), since by allowing the user to revert back to a previous OS or two for a prolonged time, it shows that Apple isn't confident that everybody will like and enjoy the new OS.

it is not about being happy with iOS 7. It is about the hardware limitation of iPhone 4, iPad 2 and 3. The first two devices barely keep up with the newest iOS 7, and this result in multiple crashes and overall lag in the workflow.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I really do think they should allow it. Some people really preferred a previous version. Options are always good.

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It is funny how discussion of a choice went this far in this regard (downgrading OS) and in other manners it is "no issues,fine with it"..

P.S: ok that was some lame hate :DD (i am an iOS user myself)

but actually Apple is all about uniformity and simplicity,and giving users and well-defined and coherent experience,So Apple will never do it IMHO

(And the bashing continues :D ) While there was a choice of not updating the phone as someone mentioned,it makes no sense that this downgrade allowance is THAT important thing....

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
As the other person said, if an OS makes a previous device buggy/laggy, a user should have the "choice" to downgrade. Apple gave users a "choice" of colors with the 5c right?

Nobody is asking for custom ROMS and such, just the ability to have a more usable OS of the device in which they bought.

For me, I find nothing of importance in 7, just some fancy colors and icons. I really like my 4s running 6, but I really want a new/different device. At this point, an upgrade to 5c/5s/or future 6 won't happen.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
As the other person said, if an OS makes a previous device buggy/laggy, a user should have the "choice" to downgrade. Apple gave users a "choice" of colors with the 5c right?

Nobody is asking for custom ROMS and such, just the ability to have a more usable OS of the device in which they bought.

For me, I find nothing of importance in 7, just some fancy colors and icons. I really like my 4s running 6, but I really want a new/different device. At this point, an upgrade to 5c/5s/or future 6 won't happen.

iOS was meant to be simple,it would not jump up like that,It is about time they start adding features (OK,GIVE ME ZERO CUSTOMIZABILITY BUT SOME ******* FEATURE-FULl EXPERIENCE APPLE :D) or they will lose the battle slowly,without even recognizing,just like Nokia/Moto etc

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of older people that do not see walk-throughs and reviews. All that they see is that an upgrade is available, so they click on it. I think that Apple should hold the previous version open for reinstall for at least two weeks. Don't you test drive a car before you buy it?

I think most people get annoyed at the badge icon sitting on top of their Settings icon, so they just give in. I know it annoys me!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I definitely think iPhone 4, iPad 2, and iPhone 4S users should be given the option to downgrade because iOS 7 affected those devices a lot

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For Apple I think it might be a PITA to keep up with several versions of iOS and the option of downgrading. If you let people downgrade to iOS 6 then when iOS 8 comes people will want to downgrade to iOS 7 and so on and so on. When would it stop?
Even if I wanted to downgrade to 6 on my iPad there are important apps I use that don't have a 6 version available any longer.
So Apple has to have a system. Once you upgrade you can't go back. It's simple that way for Apple I believe.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
For Apple I think it might be a PITA to keep up with several versions of iOS and the option of downgrading. If you let people downgrade to iOS 6 then when iOS 8 comes people will want to downgrade to iOS 7 and so on and so on. When would it stop?
Even if I wanted to downgrade to 6 on my iPad there are important apps I use that don't have a 6 version available any longer.
So Apple has to have a system. Once you upgrade you can't go back. It's simple that way for Apple I believe.

The thing is they slightly tainted that by having the ability to download the last compatible version of an app for your version of iOS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711