Email mostly not working?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5S using iOS 7.02, and a gmail email account using the Gmail app. I have tried emailing to myself through Chrome, feedly, a few others; only the Gmail app itself, and Evernote work sending email to myself. Any ideas? I checked spam, I also did a phone restart and it still does not work. This all just happened this evening, I regularly email article links to myself for later reading.

I have to say iOS 7 is the buggiest iOS I have seen since my limited experience starting with iOS 5. Boy I hope they stabilize this soon.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5S using iOS 7.02, and a gmail email account using the Gmail app. I have tried emailing to myself through Chrome, feedly, a few others; only the Gmail app itself, and Evernote work sending email to myself. Any ideas? I checked spam, I also did a phone restart and it still does not work. This all just happened this evening, I regularly email article links to myself for later reading.

I have to say iOS 7 is the buggiest iOS I have seen since my limited experience starting with iOS 5. Boy I hope they stabilize this soon.

Try rebooting your device.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Good catch!! I went to iOS mail client and all my messages are in the outbox and it says

the server imap.gmail.com is not responding. Check settings...etc.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
It may have been a Gmail server problem - I went into Mail, Contacts, Calendars/Accounts Gmail/Outgoing Mail Server SMTP/and there was a choice to turn on an additional Other SMTP Server, smtp.gmail.com. I selected that, turned it on, and I just had to give my Gmail password and it was on. After that emails started working from all the apps!

Hope that helps someone else who may experience this problem! Apologies to my criticism of iOS (I would still like background updates to work more reliably though :))
​And thanks to Karen for her suggestions and insight!

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
As an extra factoid, the option of a second server does not exist in the same place under settings on my iPad (also iOS 7.0.2). Strange...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Reading things like this make me want to cling to this iPhone 5 and Gmail setup via Exchange forever.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Reading things like this make me want to cling to this iPhone 5 and Gmail setup via Exchange forever.
It's working fine today, even on the iPad with the one server in the settings. It must have just been a problem between Gmail smtp server(s) and the stock Mail app, which appears to be where things go through to be sent, if not using my custom Gmail app from the store. I didn't realize that sending an email from feedly for example, goes through the outbox of the Mail app.

​Anyway - all seems fine today!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR