iPhone 5s sporadically crashing to Apple logo

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5S, my iPad 3, my daughters iPhone 4, and my wife's 4S have all experienced these reboot issues that the OP has described. It has to be a iOS 7 bug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
My 5 has done it a few times since running iOS 7. It's just a small bug in a big, new OS. They will fix it.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Was happening to me. I started keeping track of the crashed. It was random. Sometimes on Apple apps, sometimes on the main screen, sometimes on 3rd party apps. Happening about 3 times a day. Some people are saying that it was not a reboot, but just the app closing. It is a reboot. Just a short one. (I am hiding apps, and they dont reapear after a on/off start, but they do reapear after a reboot)

I took it to the Apple store on Friday night, They asked me 2 questions then said "Ok, we need to replace this for you" Turns out, it is happening to more than a few. I got a replacement Friday night, and it has only happened once since.

replacing my phone didnt seem to do the trick. I started with a fresh phone, fresh install (no backups). And the phone is still rebooting about twice a day.

I am amazed at the fan boys here that keep saying this isnt an issue???? An $800 phone that reboots twice a day on its own is a major issue

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine just did it for the first time today while deleting a message in the Messages app (the stock one). I set up my phone as new originally, I have never synced or restored from a backup.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone checked diagnostics & usage? I seem to be getting low memory quite a bit and this is usually when the crash happens. Just curious if anyone else is seeing that?

I've been having this issue also but for me memory isn't an issue, I have the 64GB version an have plenty of space left. I'm thinking about taking it to Apple tonight. Its a little annoying but it starts back up so fast I tend to forget about it after awhile. It shut down 1 time during a call & when it came back up my call was still active, my friend didn't even notice...its really weird!!!!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
replacing my phone didnt seem to do the trick. I started with a fresh phone, fresh install (no backups). And the phone is still rebooting about twice a day.

I am amazed at the fan boys here that keep saying this isnt an issue???? An $800 phone that reboots twice a day on its own is a major issue

I totally understand what you mean. I think if I was a normal consumer, I'd be pretty pissed that I spent so much on a phone and its acting up. I guess I'm a little lax with the situation because I work in Healthcare IT. These glitches happen to everything, especially when its a new OS or technology. I deal with it day in & day out, and as long as the patients are safe it'll get worked out soon. I have no doubt that Apple will correct the issue, it just takes time to figure out what's causing it, correct it & get the update out to everyone. No phone out here is free of issues!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Me and my wife have experienced zero crashes on ours. The only thing I have experienced was a few apps crashing back to the home screen, and then almost like clock work, they would have an update for them available in the app store a few hours later. This same widespread report happened last year with the iPhone 5 as well (it just happened to be masked by the even more frequent report of the chassis scratching issues)...expect an update to iOS in the new few days to follow 7.0.2.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
This was the first and only time for me, and I'd had the phone issue free for a week. I have no memory issues, I have a 64GB unit and haven't even synced my music/photos/movies to it yet and I "kill it" before recharging so it does restart. I do have concerns that it being a stock app that crashed it could be more of an issue, but hopefully 7.0.3 is out soon and that solves it.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure why I keep seeing low memory in diagnostics and usage. I have plenty of space on my phone. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I have attached screen shots. ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1380733233.101166.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1380733240.942630.jpg

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Low Memory is referring to the 1GB or RAM that the phone has. If you close some apps every now and then you won't have that problem. iOS doesn't handle apps the same way that android does. Android would shut them down without warning you whereas iOS puts them into more of a hibernation state until you open again(for many apps at least, not all as some do run in the background)

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the low memory isn't referencing your storage...it's referencing your RAM.

Thanks for clearing that up. Would this by chance have to do with not closing apps? I finally got myself out of the habit of closing my apps after I am done with them. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just never noticed this on my 5.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. Would this by chance have to do with not closing apps? I finally got myself out of the habit of closing my apps after I am done with them. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just never noticed this on my 5.

Definitely not a stupid question...I personally don't think it has to do with NOT closing apps, because most of the time, the apps people would regularly keep open are not going to leach on the RAM too terribly bad to where it would drastically effect performance. Now there is the possibility that an app you're leaving open has an issue with working with iOS 7, and could be causing the problem, but figuring out which one would be a bit difficult without checking with an activity monitor. You could try a few things...including turning off background app refreshing (in general settings)...you could also try a restore to see if there was maybe some glitchy issue that is resolved by re-DL'ing the apps to your phone.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not a stupid question...I personally don't think it has to do with NOT closing apps, because most of the time, the apps people would regularly keep open are not going to leach on the RAM too terribly bad to where it would drastically effect performance. Now there is the possibility that an app you're leaving open has an issue with working with iOS 7, and could be causing the problem, but figuring out which one would be a bit difficult without checking with an activity monitor. You could try a few things...including turning off background app refreshing (in general settings)...you could also try a restore to see if there was maybe some glitchy issue that is resolved by re-DL'ing the apps to your phone.

Thanks for responding again. I was planning on doing a restore already to see if this fixes the problem. Hopefully a restore will clear this up, but if not should I take it in to apple to see if this is an issue with my particular phone and not software related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for responding again. I was planning on doing a restore already to see if this fixes the problem. Hopefully a restore will clear this up, but if not should I take it in to apple to see if this is an issue with my particular phone and not software related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you're unhappy with any regard of performance out of your new iPhone, never hesitate to take it to Apple so they can see what's up...at the very least they can try swapping out devices for you to make YOU happy, and they'll be able to further investigate the problem in case it is something that affects a large spectrum of users (even ALL users potentially).

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
If you're unhappy with any regard of performance out of your new iPhone, never hesitate to take it to Apple so they can see what's up...at the very least they can try swapping out devices for you to make YOU happy, and they'll be able to further investigate the problem in case it is something that affects a large spectrum of users (even ALL users potentially).

I normally don't hesitate to take in my device if I am having issues, but normally I know that it is hardware not software. Now I am not sure which problem I am having so am going back and forth on taking it in. Of course it would be awesome if something is wrong and they can swap my gray for a gold but I know that won't happen.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
My 5s is randomly rebooting. My settings app crashes also. I had the settings app crash but not the reboots on my 5 also, dating back to about beta 5. iOS 7 is still not perfect.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from the Apple store. They replaced my device for me due the crashing and low memory. Unfortunately they wouldn't replace with gold. Oh well didn't hurt to try.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from the Apple store. They replaced my device for me due the crashing and low memory. Unfortunately they wouldn't replace with gold. Oh well didn't hurt to try.

Did they have any suggestions as to what is causing this.Mine has done it three times today.

I am starting to think it has something to do with hiding the apps. Is everyone that is having the reboot, also hiding apps?

and on that same topic, is anyone else experienceing this. When I hide apps, then use them, then close them, I get a white cloud like trail as they close.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2