iPhone 5s sporadically crashing to Apple logo

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling it is the software because up until 7.0.3, I had never experienced this. Now it happens 1-2 times a day.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I would say software also way too many people having the same issue

I agree. We don't know exactly how many. As Sean says, only a few of us are reporting the issue here. BUT, only a few of us use these forums. Who knows how many 5s users out there have had the same issue since the update and haven't sounded off anywhere about it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree. We don't know exactly how many. As Sean says, only a few of us are reporting the issue here. BUT, only a few of us use these forums. Who knows how many 5s users out there have had the same issue since the update and haven't sounded off anywhere about it.

I did a restore/set up as new last night. (What a PITA). Since then, however, I have had no springboard crashes... the previous issue was after OTA update to 7.0.3.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had it occur once since updating to 7.03 but also several times on the previous version of ios 7. This time it occurred as I was exiting my facebook app.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Luckily, I haven't had any issues since the update!! I was having issues prior to the update but I found the app that caused it & deleted it...nothing since! "knocks on wood"

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I did a restore/set up as new last night. (What a PITA). Since then, however, I have had no springboard crashes... the previous issue was after OTA update to 7.0.3.

I didn't see this post until after I saw your reply on the 7.0.3 thread, lol.

I did a clean setup and it's the exactly the same as when I had it restored from backup. Works fine for a day, then randomly starts crashing right after it unlocks, but ONLY if I use the Touch ID. I switched to passcode and it hasn't crashed since.

I never had a single issue on 7.0.2, so I think it's a 7.0.3 issue...not hardware. :)

Juanefny

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Sooo I've owned every single iPhone since their launch in 2007. So far, I believe that iOS 7/iPhone 5s has been by far the buggiest. So here's been my experience... I got a 64 gig gray model on launch day and the problem started happening almost right away. I went back to the store and they replaced the phone b/c of another issue. Then I kept it as new and downloaded the apps directly from the app store. Low and behold the problem started happening again. I then put my old back up on the phone as I knew it was not a problem with the backup.
So I used that second phone for a couple of weeks and dealt with the phone rebooting every day or two. 7.0.3 came out and since it did not take care of the problem I figured I'd call apple care. They went ahead and replaced the phone two days ago and this third iPhone i've owned is also having this problem.
I've done everything that has been suggested from killing background app refresh to reducing motion and the problem still persists. Usually when multitasking or when dealing with an update to a passbook.
So I really believe it's an iOS issue when people us the phone very heavily, or that there is a very common app (like Facebook) that is causing this problem. This is very frustrating and not the type of experience I've come to expect from Apple. I hope this gets fixed with the next release.

OH and for those of you who say it's not a big problem b/c apple hasn't acknowledged it, well, they didn't acknowledge the flaw that allowed people to bypass the lock screen, or the motion/accelerometer issue. They just took care of it via a software fix. Just b/c people aren't complaining or noticing it, doesn't mean it's not happening on a widespread manner.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sooo I've owned every single iPhone since their launch in 2007. So far, I believe that iOS 7/iPhone 5s has been by far the buggiest. So here's been my experience... I got a 64 gig gray model on launch day and the problem started happening almost right away. I went back to the store and they replaced the phone b/c of another issue. Then I kept it as new and downloaded the apps directly from the app store. Low and behold the problem started happening again. I then put my old back up on the phone as I knew it was not a problem with the backup.
So I used that second phone for a couple of weeks and dealt with the phone rebooting every day or two. 7.0.3 came out and since it did not take care of the problem I figured I'd call apple care. They went ahead and replaced the phone two days ago and this third iPhone i've owned is also having this problem.
I've done everything that has been suggested from killing background app refresh to reducing motion and the problem still persists. Usually when multitasking or when dealing with an update to a passbook.
So I really believe it's an iOS issue when people us the phone very heavily, or that there is a very common app (like Facebook) that is causing this problem. This is very frustrating and not the type of experience I've come to expect from Apple. I hope this gets fixed with the next release.

OH and for those of you who say it's not a big problem b/c apple hasn't acknowledged it, well, they didn't acknowledge the flaw that allowed people to bypass the lock screen, or the motion/accelerometer issue. They just took care of it via a software fix. Just b/c people aren't complaining or noticing it, doesn't mean it's not happening on a widespread manner.

That's fine...you're one representation. I've also owned every iPhone since 2007, and my experience has been the exact opposite of yours, so I could argue that in the same way you're saying it's the most buggy, that my experience has been the least buggy. As far as Apple acknowledging a "wide spread" issue, they haven't done it because the issue isn't wide spread. That doesn't mean that it isn't affecting a lot of people...when you sell over 20 million devices, isolated incidents could mean hundreds of thousands, and that is certainly no small number.

That is ashame that you're having troubles. I've been really enjoying a rather excellent experience myself.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's fine...you're one representation. I've also owned every iPhone since 2007, and my experience has been the exact opposite of yours, so I could argue that in the same way you're saying it's the most buggy, that my experience has been the least buggy. As far as Apple acknowledging a "wide spread" issue, they haven't done it because the issue isn't wide spread. That doesn't mean that it isn't affecting a lot of people...when you sell over 20 million devices, isolated incidents could mean hundreds of thousands, and that is certainly no small number.

That is ashame that you're having troubles. I've been really enjoying a rather excellent experience myself.

Exactly.

I have been experiencing one springboard crash that I can pretty much replicate on demand (except when I am at a Genius Bar :) ). It has to do with the following conditions:

You must be on iOS 7.0.3. You must have parallax effect off (Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > [ON]), and you must have TouchID enabled with fingerprint scans stored.

Lock your phone with the Sleep/Wake (top) button or let the screen go to sleep. Now slide the previously scanned finger over the home button and remove it as soon as you see the phone unlock. In about 3 out of every 5 times, the phone will flash my home screen, and then the springboard crashes to a black screen with a white Apple logo. After a second or two, my home screen returns and all is well until the next time the screen goes to sleep.

I have documented this case with a Senior Advisor at Apple support who is working with the engineers to capture and fix this bug.

The current workaround (at least for me) is to turn the parallax effect back on (Reduce Motion > [OFF]). Others have reported that holding your scanned finger in place for an extra second or two seems to help avoid the crash.

Big thanks to GibMcFragger for his help in testing the fixes, and he actually told me about the holding your finger in place workaround. He has had only one crash using that workaround. Since turning parallax back on, I have not had a single springboard crash.

Prior to discovering the workaround, I was seeing the crashes at least 3 out of 5 times I unlocked my phone with the TouchID. FWIW, it never happened at all if I used the "swipe and passcode" method. And I had my 5S replaced once at the Genius Bar. Both phones exhibited the same behavior, so even the Apple advisor and engineer believe that it’s a software issue with 7.0.3.

Last edited:

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Exactly.

I have been experiencing one springboard crash that I can pretty much replicate on demand (except when I am at a Genius Bar :) ). It has to do with the following conditions:

You must be on iOS 7.0.3. You must have parallax effect off (Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > [ON]), and you must have TouchID enabled with fingerprint scans stored.

Lock your phone with the Sleep/Wake (top) button or let the screen go to sleep. Now slide the previously scanned finger over the home button and remove it as soon as you see the phone unlock. In about 3 out of every 5 times, the phone will flash my home screen, and then the springboard crashes to a black screen with a white Apple logo. After a second or two, my home screen returns and all is well until the next time the screen goes to sleep.

I have documented this case with a Senior Advisor at Apple support who is working with the engineers to capture and fix this bug.

The current workaround (at least for me) is to turn the parallax effect back on (Reduce Motion > [OFF]). Others have reported that holding your scanned finger in place for an extra second or two seems to help avoid the crash.

Big thanks to JibMcFragger for his help in testing the fixes, and he actually told me about the holding your finger in place workaround. He has had only one crash using that workaround. Since turning parallax back on, I have not had a single springboard crash.

Prior to discovering the workaround, I was seeing the crashes at least 3 out of 5 times I unlocked my phone with the TouchID. FWIW, it never happened at all if I used the "swipe and passcode" method. And I had my 5S replaced once at the Genius Bar. Both phones exhibited the same behavior, so even the Apple advisor and engineer believe that it?s a software issue with 7.0.3.

JibMcFragger???? Jib??? Hahaha

I haven't had a single crash since I started holding my thumb on the sensor for a second longer (until the fade in animation finishes). It could be pure fluke, or it could be the cure. Who knows? Lol.

Jib pfft....... :p

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
JibMcFragger???? Jib??? Hahaha

I haven't had a single crash since I started holding my thumb on the sensor for a second longer (until the fade in animation finishes). It could be pure fluke, or it could be the cure. Who knows? Lol.

Jib pfft....... :p

Sorry. Will fix that next time I'm at my MBP.

Good news on the non-crash

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had it happen in a day or two, BUT since it stopped happening, my battery life has greatly diminished.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice