iPhone 5s sporadically crashing to Apple logo

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My 5S experienced this for the first time yesterday. I went to wake the device from standby with the power button, and when the screen illuminated, it was on the Apple logo... after a few seconds, it was on the lock screen, and I unlocked as normal.

My diagnostics & usage show a "backboard crash"

apple_power_user

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing to acknowledge...it's happening to isolated people, and they are replacing devices based on such. For most of us, there is no problem.

It's happened to my 5s, my iPad 3, my wife's 5, my son's 4. Doesn't sound too isolated to me.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's happened to my 5s, my iPad 3, my wife's 5, my son's 4. Doesn't sound too isolated to me.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

That's because it's affecting YOU...you're seeing the issue, so to you, it's all around...in reality, millions upon millions upon millions of people are using iOS 7 on a multitude of devices without issue, they are buying new iPhone 5S's and having a flawless experience and in the scheme of things, the people reporting issues are a niche.

I can reflect your example and say that my 5S, my wife's 5S, both of our iPads, my dad's iPad, my mom's 4S, my sisters 5S and countless people that I know that are simply within my circles (co-workers, associates and friends) are ALL experiencing the same performance I am...no consistent glitches anywhere across the board, no hardware failures...nothing.

And even then...I represent a small niche of people, even sprawling out into my circles, it's still insignificant. The significant numbers are reading reports across the web...and the issues are isolated, whether you want to believe it or not.

It goes even deeper than that though, because given the way iOS works with Apps, specific apps can cause issues like this (IE: "Blue Screen of Death" directly related to the iWork applications). So with the vast amount of variables that may not even be directly related TO iOS 7 add a whole other level to this "issue".

You're essentially asking Apple to admit that they did something wrong and that iOS 7 has a problem. Well...if iOS 7 has a problem...one that would warrant an official statement from Apple (as you've asked for), how do you explain the plethora of users that have no issues? The staggering amount of people who have experienced nothing but flawless performance out of hardware AND operating system since launch?

Frustration is perfectly justified, I don't know anyone that (outside of Beta testing) wants to experience bugs like you guys are reporting. And it would be foolish not to vent, because when people talk about their issues, the word gets out...but let's use some logic here guys, if there was truly a software issue inherent in iOS 7, everyone would be effected, not just an isolated number of users. You're asking Apple to acknowledge a problem with iOS 7, but again, there doesn't seem to be any problem with iOS 7...and while I'm sure Apple has thousands of people working around the clock to figure out why these incidents are happening, assuming they are occurring because Apple did something wrong is a bit naive when you sit back and look at the big picture.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sean defending apple again. Hehe

Looks like quite a few people have experienced it.

My iphone 5s has, and my brother I laws iphone 5, but not my ipad mini.

I think there are several people experiencing it but clearly the majority is still fine.

I've tried a clean reset and waiting to see if that does it.

anon(3792)

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I understand the majority of people aren't experiencing these issues. I understand we read about the issues in forums but that doesn't mean it's widespread. I don't need Apple to admit there's a problem, I just have to use my second iphone 5s and watch it respring to know there's a problem. I love iOS 7 and I understand third party apps can make it buggy at times. That's all fine. But when I go to the Apple store for the third time tomorrow, I really hope they can give me a replacement that works as well as all the people's iPhone 5s's we AREN'T hearing about because they work so well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really defending Apple so much as just generally arguing formal semantics...when someone is implying that there is a general problem with iOS 7, but only a certain number of people (out of the whole) are experiencing said problem...then logically, you can deduce that the problem probably isn't with iOS 7, but with something connected TO iOS 7 that the people experiencing the problem all share in common in some way. What is it? Who knows...should Apple investigate it? Abso-freakin'-lutely...and they better find a fix to it quickly before they **** off a lot of people.

But why would you want an acknowledgement from Apple that something is wrong on their end? An official release from Apple saying something is inherently wrong with iOS 7 when there very well may not be anything wrong with iOS 7.

Semantics...and boredom, that's primarily why I keep going with these redundant and long winded responses, lol! :beer:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
excuse how how is that trolling. you need to lighten u. I just stated that i was very disapointed in os7, in my opinion its the next Vista. short lived and quickly replaced
There is nothing wrong with your opinion.

now I will troll: You are the definition of an iSheep ame, defending apple to the end, even if they are wrong,
That's not being a troll. That's being defensive and retaliatory.

The mods here are arrogant and super defensive about anyone not happy with Apple.
Standing up for a product we enjoy using is no different than you standing up for your opinions of what you dislike about it.
Worst mods i have ever seen on a BB.
I'm sorry you feel that way, and hope you will see us in a favorable light one day. In the meantime, we will continue to moderate to the best of our ability.
The members are entitled self serving people.
Personally, I find the members of this community to be nice and decent people, even the ones whose opinions are different than mine.

Someone please close out me account
Your account will remain open, but will be placed in an inactive state in case you choose to return and participate in the many discussions found here. In the meantime, you take care and have a safe and pleasant weekend, sir....;)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the crash twice both times with using apps. Pages and Just Note. I deleted them and reinstalled no crashes since. There are a some iOS7 issues but nothing more unusual than any other phone or computer OS in my experience. It's funny people leave Android for iOS and don't expect software issues.

I've been dealing with Apple/Mac since 1991 and Apple hasn't put anything out that's even close to being as bad as Vista. So I don't know what EarleD was talking about. I don't think he knows either.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
excuse how how is that trolling. you need to lighten u. I just stated that i was very disapointed in os7, in my opinion its the next Vista. short lived and quickly replaced

now I will troll: You are the definition of an iSheep ame, defending apple to the end, even if they are wrong,

The mods here are arrogant and super defensive about anyone not happy with Apple. Worst mods i have ever seen on a BB.
The members are entitled self serving people.

Someone please close out me account

Lighten up man, if iOS 7 was a fail I don't think the 5s would be sold out on every shelf. It has it's issues but you are going to tell me android doesn't? Obviously by coming onto an Apple forum where ( in my opinion ) the mods and people here are great and expect to pick apart iOS 7 without someone defending it c'mon now.. This is IMORE of course someone is going to defend it. If I went on android central and started making those comments about android you don't think id expect someone to come back and pick up for it? Don't be a baby, take your blows like a man, and secondly you don't need a mod to remove your account I'm sure you can delete it yourself. Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue and took my phone to the apple store last week and they reset the phone and made me set it up as new.

I returned to the apple store yesterday as this issue persisted and they determined it was a hardware issue and they replaced my phone. A lot of other issues I was experiencing which attributed to iOS 7 being new we're gone. Not saying everyone who has this problem is dealing with hardware issues but on my case that's what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just had this start happening to me after the 7.0.3 update. Very frustrating.

It happened to me 2 times before the update. Then on the same day that I updated and thought this was fixed. It crashed to the Apple logo that evening when I opened Safari. Very frustrating indeed!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I’ve experienced several crashes since updating to 7.0.3... none prior to that... not an "end of the world" issue, but it is annoying.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I’ve experienced several crashes since updating to 7.0.3... none prior to that... not an "end of the world" issue, but it is annoying.

That's funny, I fortunately haven't had any since the update, but quite a few before. I am hoping mine are gone now, hopefully yours will cease soon too.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It's happened all ALL THREE of mine, my original unit, and both warranty replacements. It did it twice in the apple store on this latest unit in front of them last night. They have no explanation.

Mine just started doing it tonight. 90% of the time Springboard crashes right after I unlock it using my fingerprint. I have reset all settings, etc and it still does it.

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
after getting a replacement from apple (i5s) two weeks ago, i have not experienced a crash at all. i have two logs in my diagnostic & data and they are related to low battery (when getting below 20%). And im still in 7.0! i have not updated the ios because i want to see how long it takes to get a crash at all, if any.

most say its software related. could be! but in this case i find it odd that the replacement phone still in 7.0 is working flawless. (knocks on wood)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro