A question about switching from WP to iOS 7

MDak280

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, iMore. I'm going to keep a long story short and tell you that I'm switching from Windows Phone (Lumia 920) to iOS 7 (iPhone 5S) very soon because Microsoft's OS just lacks too many features and apps (for me). I can't deal with Android, and Apple has the second best hardware on the market (imo) so the iPhone is the natural choice, and I'm very impressed with iOS 7. But I have a few questions.

My biggest question/concern is transferring contacts and calendar from Microsoft's Outlook. Is this possible on the iPhone 5S? I know that email won't be a problem but I'm hoping that contacts and calendar can be transferred. If not, what is the iOS equivalent to Outlook?

My other question is more specifically about the iPhone 5S and its fingerprint scanner. Does it work consistently? And is it possible for a non registered fingerprint to unlock the phone or is it completely secure?

Thank you!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My biggest question/concern is transferring contacts and calendar from Microsoft's Outlook. Is this possible on the iPhone 5S? I know that email won't be a problem but I'm hoping that contacts and calendar can be transferred. If not, what is the iOS equivalent to Outlook?
Contacts & Calendar will sync easily from Outlook... just have to set up your account on the iPhone and tell it to sync contacts & calendar.

MDak280

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Contacts & Calendar will sync easily from Outlook... just have to set up your account on the iPhone and tell it to sync contacts & calendar.

Thank you, that makes my decision to switch much easier!

Can anyone comment on the fingerprint scanner, preferably from their own experiences? I'll try to do some research myself. I'm pretty sure it's consistent from watching YouTube videos.

claudeburdel

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from WP to iOS, and I can confirm that when you set up your email with your outlook.com account, and you tell it in settings to sync contacts and calendar, the contacts and calendar will load seamlessly.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprint ID works very well. It took me a few hours to get used to it. I've used it for app purchases also. Just lay whatever finger on the home button and the phone unlocks even if you swipe to unlock and it ask for a passcode just lay you finger on the home button it unlocks.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia 920, and one of the devices I use is an iPad.

My contacts, calendar, email work just like on my Lumia 920.

If you subscribe to Office 365, you can get office on your iPhone. SkyDrive works great as well same with Xbox. :)

You should find the transition very easy. The thing you will miss are live tiles. They are great when they work. The iPhone is a great device and you can't go wrong with it.

For me, I will probably stay with windows phone because it just works for me. There are 3rd party apps that are just as good as the first party on IOS.

The whole Microsoft ecosystem is available on iOS. Good luck. If you have any addition questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Droidophobe

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a related question, except I'm coming from Blackberry where I can sync my organizer (contacts, calendar, memos, tasks) directly to Outlook on my Windows laptop. Would I be able to sync the same organizer info from an iPhone to my laptop? Or would I have to use Outlook.com, 365, or some other cloud-based system? Thanks for your help.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a related question, except I'm coming from Blackberry where I can sync my organizer (contacts, calendar, memos, tasks) directly to Outlook on my Windows laptop. Would I be able to sync the same organizer info from an iPhone to my laptop? Or would I have to use Outlook.com, 365, or some other cloud-based system? Thanks for your help.

Are you syncing Outlook on your computer to a cloud-based service? All you'd need to do is set-up your iPhone to the same service/account... or, install the Windows iCloud control panel on the computer... and sync your laptop outlook to iCloud, and the iPhone to iCloud.

Droidophobe

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes and No. You can sync outlook to the iPhone using iCloud control panel.
No e-mail sync tho. Only contacts and calendar.

So I can't sync directly to Outlook on my laptop at all, only using iCloud?

There is an option to sync the mail too. You can also sync the Outlook notes.

I guess I should have asked about Email too. I have a Gmail account. Does an iPhone have push Email like BB does?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to get out of the cesspool that US Cellular has become and move to Verizon, and I'm trying to sort which of their phones can meet my needs. Thanks again.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So I can't sync directly to Outlook on my laptop at all, only using iCloud?

You can sync Outlook directly to your iPhone but only by tethering it to your laptop via USB cable and selecting the Outlook sync option in iTunes, but if you use outlook.com with Outlookthen you can sync the data in Outlook with outlook.com. Then setup your outlook.com or hotmail account up in iOS Mail you can then sync everything that way. I use the outlook.com way as it's more convenient than syncing via iTunes.

If you don't want to use OTA syncing then you'll have to use the tethering to Laptop and syncing via iTunes which is similar to what you are doing with your BB.

Roland

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro