Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default Random alert sound

Every 10 minutes or so, my 5S sounds an alert. I look at the phone to discover:
    No call or voice mail
    No e-mail
    No Message, text, IM
    No Facebook or Twitter messages
    No calendar appointment
    No Reminder due

I checked in Settings --> Sounds and nothing out of the oridanry has a sound associated with it. Also went through the settings for all the apps and I don't see any that have a notification sound associated with it.

If anyone might have a suggestion as to where/what to check, you'd save me from pulling out more hair.
    Reparkable and kdude12345 like this.

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Random alert sound

1. On the home screen, touch the time and swipe down to reveal the notification center. Tap the "All" option and see if there's anything listed that may be the culprit.

2. Go to Settings>Notifications Center and go through the entire listing of apps where sound is listed as a notification.
    Thanked by:
    epr2100 (09-21-2014)
    epr2100 likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Thanks....had already gone through those before psoting.

Looks like I have disengaged any social app, and all non basic notifications.

The sound is the "Tri-Tone" tone. None of my notifications are set with that sound.

It doesn't occur at regular intervals, so it's not a calendar or timer alert. Occasionally they come in back to back, but it's not an e-mail, text or IM alert as none of those have been received. And I turned off notifications for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc so it's not that. It's just weird since it's not a tone I use, I didn't set it up, and there doersn;t appear to be anything visible taht it would be alerting me to.
    Thanked by:
    Sam Sciacca (05-03-2014)
    kdude12345 likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

You sir, have a haunted phone.

Joking. I would love to hear what the cause of this is if you every figure it out.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

That's what I'm beginning to think: It's a Polterphone

It's an alert of some sort........didn't do it on the 5 with iOS7.....only started with the iPhone 5S.....but no new apps on the 5S.....
    iMore Newbie

I have alert go off that is not associated with anything now. It used to be my email alert but I change it. It still goes off now and then but no email, no nothing, just the alert. I'm thinking of deleting the tone since it's one I bought on iTunes and see what happens. It sucks getting an alert and it being nothing
    kdude12345 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Hi. I'm having the same issue. Tried searching around and this is the first thread I have found with this problem. Just a random sound and when I look through every type of notification there is nothing. It's also a sound that is not in any of the choices under the sound settings.
    Thanked by:
    Linda Gee (03-16-2014), Pauletronic (10-06-2013)
    Reparkable and Bottlewasher like this.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Newbie

OK........ I've been through every app in Settings - no notifications listed. Turned off every social app (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc). And it's still random;y alerting me of something.....it's definately like an alert in nature: sometimes once, occasionally twice in quick successeion as if it's a text alert.....
    Maybe it's a cry for help?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iMark View Post
    OK........ I've been through every app in Settings - no notifications listed. Turned off every social app (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc). And it's still random;y alerting me of something.....it's definately like an alert in nature: sometimes once, occasionally twice in quick successeion as if it's a text alert.....
    Maybe it's a cry for help?
    Very strange. Sounds like you have pretty much covered all the bases...maybe contact apple and see if they have any suggestions...??

And as stated above, PLEASE post back if/when you figure it out...I am extremely curious!
    Bottlewasher likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Same issue for me in iPhone 5(iOS 7.0.2)
    iMore Nanite

I'm afraid that I'm not going to offer any helpful advice, but I just started having this problem on my iPad (4th gen.) after installing the first update to iOS7 yesterday. There were random notification sounds throughout the night, even though I had the volume set to "mute". It was very annoying, since I keep my iPad on my nightstand to read before bed and it was loud enough to wake me from a light sleep (several times!) And it seemed to be at random intervals, but at least every 30 minutes or so as morning approached.

I have since gone through and disabled sounds for all my notifications, but I haven't been home to monitor if that has changed anything.
    iMore Nanite

I'm having the same issue just googled it and came to this thread! Very random! I don't even have that sound that I'm getting associated with any Alerts anymore it use to be an alert I used for I believe voicemail but it's not assigned to anything now!? WTH?!

Quote Originally Posted by nvdice View Post
    Hi. I'm having the same issue. Tried searching around and this is the first thread I have found with this problem. Just a random sound and when I look through every type of notification there is nothing. It's also a sound that is not in any of the choices under the sound settings.
    iMore Nanite

Same issue! No notifications associated with this sound! Happens randomly! I could be doing nothing or on the iphone and it will happen totally randomly!? Any fixes for this yet?
    Reparkable likes this.
    iMore Nanite

I have the same issue, it just started. It's happening at night and only one tone. I've got two apps (songza and tunein radio) that might be up to something. I'll try deleting them to see if that helps. I like both apps though so that's not the best option. This is my thought because the alert started happening only after those two apps were installed. I'm doubtful bit I've tried everything else. Anyone with a solution please post. Sounds like it must be a growing problem. I'm running 7.0.3 on an iPhone 5S.
    iMore Nanite

Same here, and I'm absolutely positive it has nothing to do with my notification settings. I thought I was getting crazy, but it's a relief that I'm not the only one with this problem. Does Apple know about this? It seems like a bug to me.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

My iPad mini (16GB on Verizon) gives the random default received email sound. I don't use the native email app either. I mostly hear it when I first turn on the mini. I'll check the icon as I shove all the built in apps I don't use to a folder on the last page of apps and nothing there.

I personally think it's some app that is slow to react, maybe one that doesn't check for a new message or something for a long time. You read the message or email or whatever on some other device where that account is set up. Then some time later the app on your 5S catches up but show no notification as you already read the message on some other device.

I thought I read somewhere that notifications would be more useful, like you'd not have to clear a notification on a device you didn't read the message on? Meaning, I read the email on my 5S and I don't have to clear the same notification for the same message on the mini even though both devices go off since they are set to the same account.
    iMore Nanite

Same here!

But finally found out that this happens whenever a new email arrives
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts

Im having the same issue as people have listed above. Just randomly does this alert tone. I don't recognize the tone, and its not set to any of my apps. I don't know how else to explain it.
    Bottlewasher likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

same issue here. i have an iphone 5 running ios 7.0.4 & it's only been happening since upgrading to ios7. i've checked everything possible. my alert sounds almost like someone turning a page in a book. i thought maybe it was a 3rd party app with its own custom alert since that sound isn't listed on the default alerts. have found anything yet. it doesn't happen often enough that it's annoying....just a curiosity. hopefully a fix will come in an update soon....
    iMore Nanite

I've been having the same issue with my iPhone 5.

I just happened to go into the App Store and noticed there was one pending update (with a red badge on the updates icon bottom-right, but NOT on the App Store icon itself. Could this alert be related to the presence of new app updates?

Checked the Notification Settings and there doesn't appear to be a sound option for the App Store. Although I had badge and banner selected, neither of these occurred.

Just a thought.

John
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I am having the same issue and stumbled upon this thread as well.

Question: What carriers do the folks who are having this problem have? I have T-Mobile.

It may not be the problem, but its worth a check.
    iMore Intermediate

I have had it, and I am on AT&T. Seems to me I notice it more when WiFi connected though. Not a scientific judgment, though!
    iMore Nanite

I have too a random sound on my iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.4
    iMore Nanite

Hey guys i have the same issue on the iPhone 5. It sounds like clearing the recycle bin in Windows and the strange thing is it happens at 23:35 everyday. so what I have done is i went to Settings-General-background App Refresh and turned it on and then turned all the apps off and then turned the main Background App Refresh off. Will check tonight if it plays up again.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Spooky wooky

I can be sat in the living room watching TV and every now and then there's the 'whoosh' tone from my 5s!! I don't have that sound assigned to anything. Gotta be an ios7 bug? surely?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast