Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Random alert sound

Hey I have ringer going off and locking my phone out! When I'm in the middle of a project any news!
    iMore Nanite

Turn off icloud keychain and tones will stop

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Pressl View Post
    Well guys, not one of the tips here helped to solve my problem. It still makes this annoying sound in the background once in a while. That means I have to reset my iPad5 and start from scratch. That means a looot of work. What a waste of time!!!!!!
    I don't think resets or even a restore as new will stop that. You'd be wasting your time doing anything. I've had the same alert tone go off randomly for a long time. No one seems to know what it is. But I don't think there is anything you can do to be rid of it. It would be nice if an Apple tech would chime in and explain what it is. It's annoying for sure. Mostly because I don't know what it is. It does sound a lot like the tri-tone alert sound. I have nothing set to that. Odd.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    iMore Genius

There’s another thread around here somewhere where the poster was talking about a similar occurrence. Check ALL of the apps in the Settings > Notifications, even those listed as DO NOT INCLUDE. The gist of that thread was that just because it’s NOT on the notification screen, it’s still possible to have an alert set.

Don’t know if that is the issue you are having, or if it will help at all, but it’s worth checking out.

Also, make sure the sound is actually coming from your device. In our office we have a T-style desk. My wife's iMac and my rMBP sit back-to-back. I was hearing "random alerts" for which I could not find the source. It was making me crazy and finally I checked her iMac. She keeps the volume all the way down unless she is doing something that requires audio. Long story short, she had left the volume up and the alerts were coming from her iMac.
    My Daily Drivers: iPhone: MGAU2LLMacs: MC976LL, MD387LLiPad: MGTX2LL
    Freelance Curmudgeon I run with scissors I have played in traffic
    iMore Nanite

I'm having the same problem!
    iMore Nanite

Ive been having the same problem and came here for help... After seeing no conclusive answer I decided to go to the settings and look again, every notification was off on the phone, so I went to facebook settings, and there was a setting INSIDE facebook that was to allow notofications that was STILL ON... even tho I turned it off on my phone itself... I also remember that this tone was only used on facebook when I used to allow the notifications before I turned them off... Ive turned that off, and we shall see if that works... try for yourself if this is the solution... it might just be!
    iMore Nanite

I have iPhone 5 with ios 6 I didn't do the ios7 update yet but still experiencing the same notification problems you guys have
    iMore Nanite

I too have the phantom alert, I've tried everything...

Have iPad Air - had this problem a couple of weeks now. If I figure out how to stop it or, if it stops I will report back.
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Constant random alert sound

I woke to my Iphone 4 with an alarm type notification - as others I have been through everything FML - I had to put ph on mute as it is constant... just beep beep beep constant - I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to this !!! SOS
    iMore Nanite

I was having the same exact issue but I just went to settings then I went to mail and I turned off the noise. But if you go to sound settings it won't show up. You have to go to mail and disable the sound and it'll stop.
    iMore Nanite

Yesssss!! The exact same thing keeps happening to me. Sounds like I keep getting text messages on my cell phone, went through every sound notification I have and none of them are set to that.. Did you ever find a solution
    iMore Nanite

I had exactly the same problem

I found MY solution, but most I think most of us are experiencing the same thing though.

You have set a reminder and have forgotten about it.

Here's how you test to see if it's a reminder, pay attention to the time that your chime goes off.

Go to Settings > General > Clock and set the time to 1 minute PRIOR to when your chime sound goes off.

THEN

Go to Settings > Sounds > Reminder Alerts and change the sound to VIBRATE ONLY.

THEN

Wait.

What should happen is a vibration 1 minute from the time at which you have usually have a chime sound.

If so, you have set a reminder and have forgotten to delete it.

I had one for almost 6 months every day and it drove me crazy .... until I decided to do exactly what I suggest here.

Hope this helps someone.

Miles.

I had one for a long time. It was the tri-tone alert sound. I finally found it was the notification sound for a forum app I thought I had turned off.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Got another Phantom alert tone sounding off about 6 times a day. This time it's the "Input" alert tone. I've been through all my Notifications thoroughly.
    iMore Nanite

Maybe it's someone watching us and hacking our stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Hipol View Post
    Maybe it's someone watching us and hacking our stuff...
    Nah, I found my culprit. One of my 7 email accounts.

iMore Nanite

wow- THANKS - I NEVER knew this part of my iPod existed..!
    Will see if it makes any PEEPS Now!
    (I had a bunch of OLD notifications there.. That was all)
    iMore Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Nah, I found my culprit. One of my 7 email accounts.

Yeah, I have discovered that some apps can make noises even if you have Notifications and/or Sounds off. Beyond being annoying, it's a PITA to find and disable.
    My Daily Drivers: iPhone: MGAU2LLMacs: MC976LL, MD387LLiPad: MGTX2LL
    Freelance Curmudgeon I run with scissors I have played in traffic
    iMore Nanite

This. I searched through my sounds menu under settings, didn't see a single thing with an alert or sound matching the one that was randomly occurring, reviewed a list of all notifications I'd gotten that day, nothing, looked at all the things under the notifications menu one at a time to see what might have an alert with that tone, nothing. Then I noticed that my several email accounts did not fall under my sounds menu and only appeared at the bottom of my notifications menu under another heading called DO NOT INCLUDE. I opened each of them individually and found that one, iCloud, was using that alert tone. Changed it to something much shorter, like bamboo or something, and presto, problem (finally) solved.
    iMore Nanite

I'm having the exact same problems with my 6+, version 8.4. Have reset all settings, wiped my phone clean at least 4 times (once restoring with a backup, once restoring using iTunes, 2xs restoring as a new phone!!! I took off all my apps and just had the basic apps given with a new phone. Still happened. I turned off all my notification sounds, no vibrations, etc.....still happened. Went to the Apple Store 3xs to try to get a fix. No such luck. They finally gave me a new phone. 2nd morning I had it, it started all over again!! And it's a tone I don't have for any of my notifications. It happens most mornings after I wake up the phone - even if it is set to Do Not Disturb and/or Airplane Mode!!! SO, SO frustrated!!!
    iMore Nanite

I was having the same challenges, especially since there is no easy way to list all the applications and events that ARE using notifications.

And it can be very tricky when one app has multiple events that shoot off a notification. And some of those events seem so strange, like why would anyone WANT such a notification.

Anyway, my mystery noise was from MAIL (company account), and it was tied not to just any old message coming in (I shut that off almost immediately since the phone would be buzzing all the time). It was tied to somebody replying to a meeting invite. Why anyone would need to "jump right on that situation" is beyond me.

I think the phones are working right, but there are settings that are buried deep in multiple places that make it hard to figure out what is actually happening.

Keep your sanity and good luck!
    Ledsteplin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sspera View Post
    I was having the same challenges, especially since there is no easy way to list all the applications and events that ARE using notifications.

And it can be very tricky when one app has multiple events that shoot off a notification. And some of those events seem so strange, like why would anyone WANT such a notification.

Anyway, my mystery noise was from MAIL (company account), and it was tied not to just any old message coming in (I shut that off almost immediately since the phone would be buzzing all the time). It was tied to somebody replying to a meeting invite. Why anyone would need to "jump right on that situation" is beyond me.

I think the phones are working right, but there are settings that are buried deep in multiple places that make it hard to figure out what is actually happening.

Keep your sanity and good luck!
    Thanks for that update!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234