Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Random alert sound

i have almost the same issue on my iphone 5 with ios 7.1 !
    i have a tri-tone notification every day at 13.00 and 21.00 o'clock!!!
    every day the same time!!!it is very annoying and disturbing!!!
    any solution ideas?
    kdude12345 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

To remove unwanted sound alerts when emails are sent you.Go to settings ,then email .then go to sounds .you will see an arrow checking a a ringtone at top of page you will see a volume with curser to raise or lower the sound on your annoying alert ringtone, bring the curser on volume control and bring it all the way to the left that will set volume control to lowest settin and vwalla IMO sound emmited
    Thanked by:
    Daddies1girl (07-08-2014)
    iMore Nanite

Possible solution

If you use the Gmail App, it could be that Mail (the phone's own app) is making the sound with new emails, but you don't see any new messages when you check the Gmail App because they are categorised differently (e.g. promotions, updates) and don't appear in your Gmail Inbox.

This bug has been making the unwanted sound for me, even though notifications are turned off for Mail.

To fix:
    Go Settings > Notification Center > Mail > [Your mail client] > Alert Sound. Set Vibration to None and Alert Tones to None. Do this for every [mail client] you use, in my case just Gmail.

This should solve it - if your bug was the same as mine.
    iMore Nanite

I'm wondering if anyone has found a definitive reason for this....
    i have an iphone 5s STILL running ios 5.01 !!

my problem is not attributable to anything mentioned in this post.
    this "random alert" only happens maybe 1 every several weeks. it's not before or after any "real" event - just out of the blue...

BTW/FWIW - if anyone @ apple is listening...

ios7 - R U freaking kidding me! what a waste!! I want to UPGRADE my ipad back to ios6 !!
    that ios is "spit" - bring back steve jobs - let him translate that into language you'd be more familiar with...

I remember when "apple" meant Quality, Uber Tested software, Supreme ease of use and INTUITIVE.

apple - the new microsoft.

please bring back steve jobs.... surely someone can re-animate him!!
    Thanked by:
    kdude12345 (05-30-2014)
    kdude12345 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Mail

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    iMore Nanite

Exactly my situation, on a new to me iPhone 4s. Wildly random.
    kdude12345 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Have made this change. Will report in 10 days. Crossing fingers. Thanks much PhillyMark72.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by iMark View Post
    Every 10 minutes or so, my 5S sounds an alert. I look at the phone to discover:
    No call or voice mail
    No e-mail
    No Message, text, IM
    No Facebook or Twitter messages
    No calendar appointment
    No Reminder due

I checked in Settings --> Sounds and nothing out of the oridanry has a sound associated with it. Also went through the settings for all the apps and I don't see any that have a notification sound associated with it.

If anyone might have a suggestion as to where/what to check, you'd save me from pulling out more hair.
    I have this problem too...
    Thanked by:
    Daddies1girl (07-08-2014)
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Thanks....had already gone through those before psoting.

Looks like I have disengaged any social app, and all non basic notifications.

The sound is the "Tri-Tone" tone. None of my notifications are set with that sound.

It doesn't occur at regular intervals, so it's not a calendar or timer alert. Occasionally they come in back to back, but it's not an e-mail, text or IM alert as none of those have been received. And I turned off notifications for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc so it's not that. It's just weird since it's not a tone I use, I didn't set it up, and there doersn;t appear to be anything visible taht it would be alerting me to.
    Same exact thing with me, only I have 2-3 different sound notifications that are ones I don't use, that are sporadically sounding, yet nothing is displaying on the screen. Known apps like FB, calls, text, email, messenger, ebay, payplal, and other social apps are notifying as expected, but these random sound notifications are sounds I didn't setup and they started a few days ago out of the blue. No OS updates, no app updates, no syncing, 5Gb of storage open, its really wierd, but maddening. It happens at the worst possible times.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Olivo View Post
    I have alert go off that is not associated with anything now. It used to be my email alert but I change it. It still goes off now and then but no email, no nothing, just the alert. I'm thinking of deleting the tone since it's one I bought on iTunes and see what happens. It sucks getting an alert and it being nothing
    I have same problem...
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by theguruguy View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has found a definitive reason for this....
    i have an iphone 5s STILL running ios 5.01 !!

my problem is not attributable to anything mentioned in this post.
    this "random alert" only happens maybe 1 every several weeks. it's not before or after any "real" event - just out of the blue...

BTW/FWIW - if anyone @ apple is listening...

ios7 - R U freaking kidding me! what a waste!! I want to UPGRADE my ipad back to ios6 !!
    that ios is "spit" - bring back steve jobs - let him translate that into language you'd be more familiar with...

I remember when "apple" meant Quality, Uber Tested software, Supreme ease of use and INTUITIVE.

apple - the new microsoft.

please bring back steve jobs.... surely someone can re-animate him!!
    I agree 100000000000% with everything you said. I have exact same problem, along with many more, including the elusive audio switching / sound issue 1000s are having, where one day your phone rings, the next it doesn't, same with notifications from all apps & ipod playback... Not to mentioned maps dont work, spell-check/auto-correct has lost its mind, FB & Safari crash all the time & keep refreshing losing all work/typing, when coming back from phone lock, or hot switching between apps. Overall instability & crashing. Horrible! iOS6 was tons better, wayyyyyyyyy better!
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Not mail....
    iMore Nanite

Had the same problem. I went to my notification center and started turning things off. Not sure what it was but only left essentials and ringing vanished.
    iMore Nanite

This was driving me bonkers! I turned off all of my notifications and was still getting the annoying random alert. So, I turned off Background App Refresh and it worked! Settings/General/Background App Refresh - Off. Hope this helps.
    iMore Nanite

Default Random alert sound

Every 10 minutes or so, my 5S sounds an alert. I look at the phone to discover:
    No call or voice mail
    No e-mail
    No Message, text, IM
    No Facebook or Twitter messages
    No calendar appointment
    No Reminder due

I checked in Settings --> Sounds and nothing out of the oridanry has a sound associated with it. Also went through the settings for all the apps and I don't see any that have a notification sound associated with it.

If anyone might have a suggestion as to where/what to check, you'd save me from pulling out more hair.
    Hey I have been experiencing this same problem I went to my setting went to mail and there was the problem I jus switched it to none and BAM problem solved it still vibrates but that annoying dinging sound is GONE.. Hope this helps😊
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 07-08-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    iMore Nanite

Now that you say that, it does seem this alert happens with an app update notification. I just upgraded to the 5C, and I'm use to the front lighting up and telling me why I'm getting the alert. This phone doesn't do that, apparently. Or, maybe it does and I haven't figured out how to make it do it. Technology, right?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123