Wallpaper size issues on iOS 7

Brad Cook1

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wallpaper

I turned on the setting for reduce motion on my phone and it would not let me pinch the photo to make it smaller to the point where it would show black above and below the picture like it would before. Instead when I pinched it would bounce back to the bigger size.

The reason it won't allow the picture to be shrunk down a large amount is because the iPad selects the smallest size scale that accommodates landscape AND portrait orientations. It sets a lower limit because it assumes you want roughly the same view in both orientations. Simplified, it doesn't want your picture to look amazing in landscape and stupid in portrait.

Brad Cook1

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The reason it won't allow the picture to be shrunk down a large amount is because the iPad selects the best size scale that accommodates landscape AND portrait orientations. It sets a lower limit because it assumes you want roughly the same view in both orientations. Simplified, it doesn't want your picture to look amazing in landscape and stupid in portrait.

HankUSMC418

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
it doesn't work changing it to "reduce motion" does nothing and I still am unable to make smaller my photo so as to fit into my phone screen size properly.

Auxsheelia Brijit

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
There is an app for that, called Wallax- Scale, Resize & Make your own wallpapers for iOS 7. https://itunes.apple.com/app/id722262021?at=10l3Vy works for both iPhone & iPad. Which lets you resize & scale iOS 7 wallpapers like in iOS 6 but instead of black background in iOS 6 it adds the blurred version of the wallpapers itself.:):yes: It also helps you make 8 different styles of wallpapers for iOS 7 like plain, gradient, dotted, Blur, White & Black, Bokeh, Focused & Padded. More effects coming soon..

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
There is an app for that, called Wallax- Scale, Resize & Make your own wallpapers for iOS 7. https://itunes.apple.com/app/id722262021?at=10l3Vy works for both iPhone & iPad. Which lets you resize & scale iOS 7 wallpapers like in iOS 6 but instead of black background in iOS 6 it adds the blurred version of the wallpapers itself.:):yes: It also helps you make 8 different styles of wallpapers for iOS 7 like plain, gradient, dotted, Blur, White & Black, Bokeh, Focused & Padded. More effects coming soon..

Neat! I bet there are a bunch that will love that blurred effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

karrenola

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Everybody's got really great stuff to say about such a simple but irritating change in iOS7. Lots of us want to position our wallpaper pics like we want and miss that old black background that could make any size pic look good. So taking all you guys' help into consideration here's what I did -- I took the pic I wanted and put it on a blank Pages document. I noted my picture was square with a gradient color change in the background from black at the top to blue at the bottom. Then I put a square shape in the background and used the 'gradient' functionality in the Pages Inspector to get the black to blue like the picture I put in the middle. Then I adjusted the picture to appear about 40% smaller than the background 'box'. Next I took a screenshot of it, labeled it, put it into iPhoto and made sure that latest import was synced with my iPad / iPhone. Then I used Settings to go to Wallpaper and selected that image I just made.

Man, it was almost perfect! I redid the image on Pages and took screenshots five times, shrinking/ shifting the picture around to get the kind of position the iPad would let me enlarge even a little so I could move it up and down to position better. In the end I got a great wallpaper for my iPad. The same shot for my iPhone comes out rather big still and hard to center, but I can do that one later. Did I EVER have to work to get a perfectly sized image on my iPad though!! I'm shocked Ive, as into design as he is, couldn't've made doing our wallpaper way easier than this. Maybe he wants us to do what he does for free, hehe. Anyway, thanks guys! Getting just what I wanted on my wallpaper was worth all that designing time on Pages. :kiss:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Or my app: Fix My Wallpaper (Mine came first).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fix-my-wallpaper/id718000759?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

My app interface isn't as refined but it gets good reviews vs others. I welcome other options (Wallax) but picking almost the same name? :). This kind of thing makes me want to make my app free permanently. I probably will in 2014.

There is a free way to do it as well. Save the image to your computer and place it on a larger background. Then put it back on your phone.

Tip: make sure to try turning off reduce motion in settings then setting the wallpaper again in that order. For a lot of people that is enough of a fix. If you want your image even smaller you'll need to scale the images using one of these apps or on your computer.

Some have suggested the iWork apps like Keynote but exporting as a single image doesn't exist so you end up having to take a screen shot. This degrades image quality as explained in post above. And the background options aren't as nice (no gradients etc).

Hope you find the method that works best for you.

Cheers, @Scatabrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobias Howard

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
EZ fix you can re-size your pic the fix... In Photoshop or another photo editing program make a blank page size 1000 pixels x 1600 pixels or 13" x 22". Past your image in the middle save as jpeg and load to iPhone. You be able to enlarge or shrink as you feel.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Great tip.

If your want to get it exact add 400 pixels in each direction to an image the same size as your phone / iPad native resolution and you will be able to leave the Reduce Motion setting to off and get a full sized un zoomed image.

Cheers. @scatabrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox