Upgrade question

bmantz65

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife just received an iPhone 5 (we are new to the IOS universe) and it is running IOS 6.1.4 and she has her phone backing up daily to iCloud. This week she is going to port her old wireless number to the iPhone. I understand the iPhone has to be wiped in order to change the phone number, correct? So with her phone reset and max storage available, should she upgrade then to IOS 7 and then restore her backup from iCloud? Would that work ok?

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My wife just received an iPhone 5 (we are new to the IOS universe) and it is running IOS 6.1.4 and she has her phone backing up daily to iCloud. This week she is going to port her old wireless number to the iPhone. I understand the iPhone has to be wiped in order to change the phone number, correct? So with her phone reset and max storage available, should she upgrade then to IOS 7 and then restore her backup from iCloud? Would that work ok?

First of all, I have never heard that you had to wipe a phone in order to change the phone number. Where did that information come from? I’d be interested in seeing that documented, as I have never heard/seen/read that anywhere.

Certainly she can back up her phone, wipe it and install iOS 7, then restore from the backup... but not sure why she would do that - especially in light of my suspicion about the previous statement.

The easiest option should be to go to Settings > General > Software Update on her phone, and just do the iOS 7 update OTA (over the air). The only requirements for that would be to be connected to a wifi network, and have a full battery charge (or have the phone plugged into a charger).

bmantz65

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I have never heard that you had to wipe a phone in order to change the phone number. Where did that information come from? I’d be interested in seeing that documented, as I have never heard/seen/read that anywhere.

The Sprint sales rep told us this. He advised her not to customize the phone too much because when you port your number over the iPhone has to reset and you lose all yourdata. I was skeptical of that (I have done this with a BlackBerry but never lost data) but I understand the phone probably has to reset but for it needing to be wiped clean?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint sales rep told us this. He advised her not to customize the phone too much because when you port your number over the iPhone has to reset and you lose all your data. I was skeptical of that (I have done this with a BlackBerry but never lost data) but I understand the phone probably has to reset but for it needing to be wiped clean?

That is interesting. I am not arguing with you or the rep, but I’ve never heard that before... but I’m AT&T and on GSM, changing a phone number is a simple matter of swapping SIM cards. Hopefully one of the CDMA users (Sprint, VZW) can chime in on this...

However, she certainly can do whatever she wants to the phone, and then do a backup (I'd recommend a backup to both iTunes (computer) and iCloud)... do whatever is necessary to port the number/change the number and then just do a complete restore from the backup.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Sprint doesn't require you to wipe your phone in a simple number change in the past just a short off network timeout but then again the iPhone tends to use your sprint number in strange ways in the settings app so it could be a possibility what the rep told the OP could accrue

Sent from my iPhone 5

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner