A Windows Phone Fanboys Review of iOS 7 on the 5S

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
As a windows phone fanboy, I was hoping to see a good review that could persuade me to stay with the Iphone 5S(I have one now and I am having trouble adjusting to it) but this was...not a good review. SMH

LOL I could likely give a good review that is far less biased as this :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As a windows phone fanboy, I was hoping to see a good review that could persuade me to stay with the Iphone 5S(I have one now and I am having trouble adjusting to it) but this was...not a good review. SMH

LOL I could likely give a good review that is far less biased as this :p

​Go for it...:)

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Most of the other posters are off the mark. Take a breath everyone. The OP seems like he's giving a decently thought out opinion. Take a seat fanboys. Disagree, but don't be dismissive, I say.

He admits to being a fanboy, which is not a crime. The fact that a self-proclaimed fanboy from a non-iOS platform can give a moderately positive review is saying something. Doesn't seem like a troll to me. Thanks, OP for an assessment from your perspective.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll be writing up a full review once I've spent a bit longer with the device. I likely should've referred to this as initial impressions. For the record, I am using it today and the only major issue Im having is the low level of Facebook integration

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your opinion however coming from WP8, I have to say that WP8 is a long, long way off to being decent. You cannot customize notifications, the live-tiles are not live and only update intermittently or not at all. PDF support is basically non-existent(or has that changed?) especially when Microsoft stresses work functionality. Having an app list is ridiculous but I guess it works as WP8 doesn't have too many decent apps. Honestly the UI gets even more stale than iOS as there is no backgrounds or anything, just solid color and live-tiles that are basically showing the same things all the time. Basically when Microsoft can do nothing except rail on the iPad not having a usb(when Microsoft touts cloud storage at that; completely hypocritical), a keyboard(which is simply untrue, you can get a keyboard for it if you want) and a frickin' kickstand? *LOL* It's absolutely mind-blowingly hilarious. WP8 is a long way off from being anything except maybe something to use mobile office and I already have that now thanks to Apple.

The first big update did nothing(well, it bricked my 920, does that count?). The second update brought nothing. When you say that iOS brings nothing new to the table, I have to only laugh.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'll be writing up a full review once I've spent a bit longer with the device. I likely should've referred to this as initial impressions. For the record, I am using it today and the only major issue Im having is the low level of Facebook integration

What facebook integration are you talking about? I rarely got facebook notifications on my 920 and get them instantly on my phone(i5) now. I can setup a facebook account on iOS and it integrates perfectly. I have facebook messenger that instantly allows me to communicate on my i5. The facebook chat integration that you're talking about only drained battery on my 920 pre and post Portico. I always left it off. I always leave facebook messenger on (on my i5) and I have less than 1% idle battery drain with it and whatsapp running.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Look, I'm not a blind follower who drinks the apple flavored kool-aid but I do admire the product finally. It's no longer some archaic OS on mid-rangey hardware. It's a perfectly functional OS that compliments the hardware excellently. My only problem is that it doesn't offer anything new or profound, everything I can do on it, I do on my Windows Phone now, usually in less swipes and with more uniformity across it. It's beautiful, just not revolutionary YET and I emphasize the word, "Yet" because I truly feel that it could be now.

Yes, you are. This is the problem with your type. You go into other forums, rail on the other phone in a disrespectful manner and when people come to defend it, you get all ****-hurt and you start calling people iSheep. I have been to WPCentral and it and CrackBerry are filled with a bunch of children who like to call Apple users iSheep and call everything uninnovated while turning a blind eye to their own company of choice and how little, and I mean very little, they bring to the table. GDR2 and GDR3 was and will be a joke. People like you turn a blind eye to how little each new Windows Phone hardware brings to the table. A 41 MP camera? Ok, what else? Tell me any software innovations Microsoft has made.

Tell me how you can customize notifications. Tell me how you can choose colors that you want instead of a pre-collection of colors. Tell me how live-tiles are actually live. Tell me how you have a notification center or and easy way to access quick settings. Tell me how a Microsoft work phone has top notch PDF support. Tell me how I have don't have to unclench my teeth every time I update because there is a risk of bricking my phone. Tell me why the touted cloud storage option is any different than Apple's. Tell me what innovation WP8 or Nokia or HTC has brought. Tell me. Tell me how you have a half-assed voice assistant that is a knock-off from Siri. Tell me how the sync software is top-notch. Tell me how XBox games revolutionized mobile gaming. Tell me how it can play any video format. Tell me about the enthusiast program and how Microsoft always keeps their promises. Tell me how to go into multi-tasking mode and easily kill apps. Tell me how you have independent volume and ringtone profiles. Tell me what apps you have to make my life easier.

No, factually. It was an OS that hadn't received a significant UI upgrade since it was released in what? 07? 08? Now they finally brought it up to speed and made it intuitive. Prior to this it was a static sea of icons that was dependent on the apps to sell the device. Now, it's an OS to be reckoned with.

Don't. Just don't. Anyone who has been with Windows Phone knows the situation with updates. Go ahead and list all the updates your phone got and the features that were added. Go on. Show us what Microsoft does for its users.

I must say though, while I'm enjoying the OS, I have never seen a more blindly faithful and outright rude moderator. I'm pretty sure he approved this post strictly to make a mockery of it. At WPCentral, we acknowledge our shortcomings and try to sell you on the plus sides. Here the moderators are more like, "No, you're wrong, our OS is perfect, you're inferior." There is no call to be such an elitist over a phone OS. They all have their benefits and they all have their flaws.

I have been on WPCentral and you are simply using rose-colored glasses while over there. With all due respect, open your eyes and take off the glasses. You are posting like this and don't expect people to respond to you? Should we all bow down to your logic and smash our iPhones and go out and buy a clearly inferior product?

Not at all, I enjoy the iPhone but the elitist ideals that some people have here is somewhat disturbing. Sure, I insult people but I came here to say Apple was finally headed towards something revolutionary and it just needed a bit extra and I'm met with a few good responses and then mods who are outright rude.

Again, open your eyes when you go back to WPCentral. You admit you insulted people and you expect them not to defend themselves? Really? Yes. Apple is always heading to something revolutionary that the others attempt to adopt. Android leads to revolutionary things which others attempt to adopt. Yet WP8 and BlackBerry? Nope. Sorry but if you're not seeing anything extra with all the shortcomings of Windows Phones then you will never switch. I'm sorry but as you stated in your OP, you are what they call a fanboy and will never see anything revolutionary because you don't want to. You want to stick to a brand out of loyalty not out of functionality and how the company keeps its promises and how it delivers.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
What facebook integration are you talking about? I rarely got facebook notifications on my 920 and get them instantly on my phone(i5) now. I can setup a facebook account on iOS and it integrates perfectly. I have facebook messenger that instantly allows me to communicate on my i5. The facebook chat integration that you're talking about only drained battery on my 920 pre and post Portico. I always left it off. I always leave facebook messenger on (on my i5) and I have less than 1% idle battery drain with it and whatsapp running.

Not everyone (meaning myself) wants to have a cluster of notifications constantly going off. I prefer the "delay" that WP gives and how I can purposely have a select few of apps be in my constant sight for notifications.

Yes, you are. This is the problem with your type. You go into other forums, rail on the other phone in a disrespectful manner and when people come to defend it, you get all ****-hurt and you start calling people iSheep. I have been to WPCentral and it and CrackBerry are filled with a bunch of children who like to call Apple users iSheep and call everything uninnovated while turning a blind eye to their own company of choice and how little, and I mean very little, they bring to the table. GDR2 and GDR3 was and will be a joke. People like you turn a blind eye to how little each new Windows Phone hardware brings to the table. A 41 MP camera? Ok, what else? Tell me any software innovations Microsoft has made.

Tell me how you can customize notifications. Tell me how you can choose colors that you want instead of a pre-collection of colors. Tell me how live-tiles are actually live. Tell me how you have a notification center or and easy way to access quick settings. Tell me how a Microsoft work phone has top notch PDF support. Tell me how I have don't have to unclench my teeth every time I update because there is a risk of bricking my phone. Tell me why the touted cloud storage option is any different than Apple's. Tell me what innovation WP8 or Nokia or HTC has brought. Tell me. Tell me how you have a half-assed voice assistant that is a knock-off from Siri. Tell me how the sync software is top-notch. Tell me how XBox games revolutionized mobile gaming. Tell me how it can play any video format. Tell me about the enthusiast program and how Microsoft always keeps their promises. Tell me how to go into multi-tasking mode and easily kill apps. Tell me how you have independent volume and ringtone profiles. Tell me what apps you have to make my life easier.

Obviously, Windows Phone didn't do it for you with these fields, but that doesn't mean it didn't work for everyone. No, there aren't separate media volumes and ringtone notifications, but it is customizable, you can customize your notifications, you can view PDF files EASILY, there are SEVERAL apps that make your life easier, multi-tasking works fine (on 1 GB devices) and killing apps are done in the settings (Not sure what has always been the obssession with knowing that you physically closed an app when the OS is optimized with the battery in mind to have things running or paused in the background), and so on.

Don't. Just don't. Anyone who has been with Windows Phone knows the situation with updates. Go ahead and list all the updates your phone got and the features that were added. Go on. Show us what Microsoft does for its users.

AFAIK, all of the detremental updates have reached ALL devices, and outside of Apple, no other companies have gotten it right as close as Microsoft has with Windows Phone, and this is with MULTIPLE devices. Do they come out as soon as announced? No, but be honest: Apple is in control of EVERYTHING, Microsoft is only in control of the software (not hardware).

I have been on WPCentral and you are simply using rose-colored glasses while over there. With all due respect, open your eyes and take off the glasses. You are posting like this and don't expect people to respond to you? Should we all bow down to your logic and smash our iPhones and go out and buy a clearly inferior product?

To you it's inferior, for me it does a better job than my iPhone did. I'm not looking for an argument and I'm not looking to be right. All of this is subjective, but you are getting on the OP for being biased but seem to be doing the same thing just cause you had a bad experience. I could write off the iPhone as a piece of crap because the battery life was horrible FOR ME, but I know several people personally that can get through a full day of heavy use. And BTW, the OP didn't advise anyone to go buy a Windows Phone, so that shows you didn't really read his original post

Again, open your eyes when you go back to WPCentral. You admit you insulted people and you expect them not to defend themselves? Really? Yes. Apple is always heading to something revolutionary that the others attempt to adopt. Android leads to revolutionary things which others attempt to adopt. Yet WP8 and BlackBerry? Nope. Sorry but if you're not seeing anything extra with all the shortcomings of Windows Phones then you will never switch. I'm sorry but as you stated in your OP, you are what they call a fanboy and will never see anything revolutionary because you don't want to. You want to stick to a brand out of loyalty not out of functionality and how the company keeps its promises and how it delivers.

He didn't insult ANYONE in his original post, so why don't you log off for a minute and chill out?

As far as the "shortcomings" and the "non-revolutionary" things that WP is doing, I see a LOT of metro influence being adopted by Android and iOS7 so.....

And WP8 was enough for me to switch from Apple AND Android (had an iPhone 5 and an Optimus G)

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The malice here is beyond ridiculous, especially for someone who came to say they mostly enjoyed the product. I don't download many apps so having to download an app for any level of social networking seems dull and let's face it, Apple took a lot from the Jailbreak community who took a lot from Windows Phone 8 with their new OS.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
The malice here is beyond ridiculous, especially for someone who came to say they mostly enjoyed the product. I don't download many apps so having to download an app for any level of social networking seems dull and let's face it, Apple took a lot from the Jailbreak community who took a lot from Windows Phone 8 with their new OS.

I'll admit right off the bat that I know nothing about WP so correct me if I'm wrong on this.
The jalbreak community had been around for a few years prior to the WP redesign.
How is it that the jailbreak devs borrowed from WP?

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because while the community has been around for some time, they are constantly evolving. When they saw Windows Phone's incoming call screen, they got it because it looked good and was practical, both Android and iOS took the card style multi-tasking from Windows Phone now and there are several more flat design elements that simply would not be if not for Windows Phone. Wozniak himself carries around a Lumia alongside his iPhone because even he appreciates it. To demean something simply because it's not your style is ridiculous.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Because while the community has been around for some time, they are constantly evolving. When they saw Windows Phone's incoming call screen, they got it because it looked good and was practical, both Android and iOS took the card style multi-tasking from Windows Phone now and there are several more flat design elements that simply would not be if not for Windows Phone.

On behalf of the mobile nations community, I'd like to welcome you to the world of smartphones.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Because while the community has been around for some time, they are constantly evolving. When they saw Windows Phone's incoming call screen, they got it because it looked good and was practical, both Android and iOS took the card style multi-tasking from Windows Phone now and there are several more flat design elements that simply would not be if not for Windows Phone. Wozniak himself carries around a Lumia alongside his iPhone because even he appreciates it. To demean something simply because it's not your style is ridiculous.

?????
Where did that come from?
How am I being demeaning?

lippidp

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
So Apple is the first company to successfully implement a near-perfect biometric identification device into a mobile phone and the potential to revolutionize security, but the hardware "brings nothing new to the table". LOL

Ok then!
Who told you this? The Apple marketing team? There are already reports of your near-perfect biometric revolutionary security system falling to hackers. Hey, I'm OK with people liking iPhones, but you really gotta tone down the horse****.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro