Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Restore as New Device - as always

is it necessary? probably not but it sure helps my OCD lol

I'm with you, and I believe we have a decent track record of success with our devices because of it...;)

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Restore as New Device - as always

is it necessary? probably not but it sure helps my OCD lol

I apologize for the noob question, but when you say restore as new, does that mean you do a hard reset and reload all your apps and settings manually?

BTW, I installed OTA, but then I did a hard reset and restored from iCloud.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I apologize for the noob question, but when you say restore as new, does that mean you do a hard reset and reload all your apps and settings manually?

BTW, I installed OTA, but then I did a hard reset and restored from iCloud.

Basically, yes or connect it to iTunes and then select restore, and after it boots up, set up as a new device and not from a backup. I even go as far as remove the ipsw file to the trashbin, put my device in DFU mode and then restore. It causes iTunes to download a fresh copy of the latest iOS version and install it, but that's "my personal" preference...;)

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
OTA for both iPad and iPhone - No issues(keeping my fingers crossed)

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Basically, yes or connect it to iTunes and then select restore, and after it boots up, set up as a new device and not from a backup. I even go as far as remove the ipsw file to the trashbin, put my device in DFU mode and then restore. It causes iTunes to download a fresh copy of the latest iOS version and install it, but that's "my personal" preference...;)

this is EXACTLY what i do. thank you for the good explanation!

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Since I was jailbroken, I did Restore iPhone which loaded ios7 and then restore as new instead of backup so as to avoid any lingering jailbreak tidbits!

Backed up pics and contacts prior...Mail and calendar are through google so it was no brainer to do as new for me.

Loving it so far👍👍

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the explanation, although I have no idea what the ipsw file is or what DFU mode is.

redneck86

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I used iTunes and backed up like the updater advised me to do. After about 25 minutes of downloading and installing I was on the iPhone first boot screen.
I upgraded a iphone 5.

To me even if you don't like the new look just the fact that the apps update themselves and badges are off is a huge step forward to me.

The control center is snazzy too

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I used iTunes for iPhone 5, restored and used iCloud back up. iTunes for iPad 4, straight update. Not sure why I did them differently, but both ways seemed to work out fine.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Cool everyone. Glad so many people have had mostly trouble free updates, no matter the method used.

I myself have never done an OTA update. Not sure why, but I like being "hardwired" to my laptop during an update. Guess it's old school habit.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation, although I have no idea what the ipsw file is or what DFU mode is.

You're very welcome. :) By the way, A file with the IPSW file extension is an Apple Device Software Update file. In other words, it's your iOS update.

DFU stands for Device Firmware Upgrade, and it allows iOS devices to be restored from any state. In other words, putting your device in DFU mode will allow it to become usable again when it is believed to be bricked...;)

Last edited: