Unable to turn on location services in iOS 7 on iPad 2

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
So far I'm loving iOS 7 on my iPad 2. There's a bit of stuttering on some animations, but everything is as fast as on iOS 6. One problem I'm having is that I cannot turn location services on. The switch is greyed out so cannot be turned on. I would like to enable this so find my iPhone will work on this device. Any ideas why this would be? I have rebooted my iPad and when I updated my iPad I did a restore and a new install of iOS 7.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
You're right that the wifi iPad 2 doesn't have gps, but it uses wifi to triangulate its location. Without location services on, find my iPhone won't work and it definitely used to work on iOS 6.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're right that the wifi iPad 2 doesn't have gps, but it uses wifi to triangulate its location. Without location services on, find my iPhone won't work and it definitely used to work on iOS 6.

You're right. I used the Find My iPhone feature with it often when I had it via iOS 6.1.3 and prior and it worked well. I can't see why Apple would discontinue that feature on it. Heck, the iPad Mini is basically a miniature version of it and I can use the location services on it without a problem. Maybe try a reboot. If push comes to shove, restore it as new.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
You're right. I used the Find My iPhone feature with it often when I had it via iOS 6.1.3 and prior and it worked well. I can't see why Apple would discontinue that feature on it. Heck, the iPad Mini is basically a miniature version of it and I can use the location services on it without a problem. Maybe try a reboot. If push comes to shove, restore it as new.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried a reboot and that didn't work. It seems to me that it has been greyed out on purpose. I cannot understand the reason though.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 7 last week. This morning after reading this thread, I went to see if location services were, in fact, enabled (or enable-able) on that device. And curiously enough, I checked the NC and saw no weather information. But as soon as I unlocked the iPad, I got an alert that asked me if I would allow "weather" to use location services. I said 'yes' and, BAM! Weather now appears in the Notification Center. Not necessarily an odd turn of events, but certainly curious timing...

Rody2

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem on my iPhone and I have tried to allow changes to location services but to no avail :( Any ideas?

Aquarian3

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Solved on iPhone 4S - thank you! Re: Unable to turn on location services in iOS 7 on iPad 2

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for your advice of turning on Location Services in the 'Restrictions' area first, I upgraded to iOS 7 last night and turned off LS's as I noticed my battery going down quickly, then I realised my 7:30am alarm didn't go off as the time on my phone was 1pm! I tried turning LS on again but the little button wouldn't slide, it was driving me bonkers, thank the lords for the Internet and your help! Strangely enough my battery has dropped 7% since taking it off charge - which was only 1hr 15 mins ago so one prob solved and another to solve!!! Anyway, thanks again, you're a star :rotfl:

Best wishes,

Lisa

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner