What Hapened to Contrast?

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I had no issues updating to iOS7 yesterday, and there are things about it I really like. But what I really don't like is the light text on white background that everything seems to have. All of the "title" text within apps seems to be the light blue on white which can be very hard to read, especially for those of us who do not have the best eyesight as we get older.

So, other that the "press the home button 3 times to enter the high contrast mode", which I have been dong, but which also necessitates undoing afterwards, anybody have any other solutions I have overlooked in iOS7?

Or possibly a third party mailbox manager that allows for a nighttime or otherwise high contrast white text on black background. I am willing to pay for the app if it meets my needs, so it doesn't ave to be free.

Any help is, of course, very much appreciated.

Nodnerb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You can set bold text and a few other text options in the accessibility settings. Not sure if that helps or not.

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
There's an option in Accessibility to bold the text. That helps some with the white on white. Doesn't work everywhere though, but at least it's not thin white letters on light background.

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - I should have mentioned it, but I did enable the "Bold" text, and you are correct, it did help some, but there is almost no contrast, which I just don't get.

Perhaps I am just too old and don't get the "modern" look. -_-

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not even "old" but I have the same problem/complaint as you, Blackfeet. I think this was a step backward for Apple. Everything is just too light and thin! :(

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Tried that also - not much improvement - at least to me.

I am going to sound like a broken record, but there is just not enough contrast. Stoneland said it well with, " Everything is just too light and thin!".

gamergurl89

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Blackfeet and stoneland, I couldn't agree with you guys more. That's my number one complaint and really my only complaint so far anyways with ios7. Everything is so bright and white! I like the darker colors cause it's easier on the eyes. Glad to see I'm not alone!

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Blackfeet and stoneland, I couldn't agree with you guys more. That's my number one complaint and really my only complaint so far anyways with ios7. Everything is so bright and white! I like the darker colors cause it's easier on the eyes. Glad to see I'm not alone!

Did that, and enabled "Bold Text" also. It doesn't really help. The issue is the color choice. Light Blue on a light background just all blends together. You can make it as bold as you want, but the color has to separate. Basic UI design premise, and apparently something Apple forgot or intentionally ignored.

gamergurl89

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed! I have to blooded the text and such and it doesn't make a big enough difference. Actually I personally don't believe it makes any difference.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Jobs was the only UI designer at Apple before. The new guys did a poor job. I'll have to check my daughter's phone when she gets home. I don't remember this one.

- Matt

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Invert doesn't work too well for the parts we're talking about. Essentially it goes from white text on a light background to black text on a dark background...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2