Things to do before updating to iOS7

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to wait awhile on updating my 4S. I want to see what the fallout is. But I'm feeling ok about updating my ipad4 during the first week of release.

Can anyone recommend backup procedures prior to updating? Like backing up to iCloud? How do I go about doing that? Thanks in advance. I'm psyched to upgrade.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd probably backup my iPhone using iTunes and iCloud. To backup using iCloud just connect to wifi, go to Settings> iCloud> Storage & Backup> Backup Now

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that you really need to do is to make sure you have a good back up. As rayz336 said, I’d recommend backing up to both your computer and to iCloud. #beltandsuspenders

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably backup my iPhone using iTunes and iCloud. To backup using iCloud just connect to wifi, go to Settings> iCloud> Storage & Backup> Backup Now

No doubt, and besides, you never know when you may need to restore your device without having access to iTunes. Also, if you have hundreds or even thousands of photos on your device, back them up to an external hard drive, another cloud service or your computer for safe keeping, just in case.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah heck, why not?

Things to do prior to updating to iOS 7:

1. Backup your device, preferably to both iTunes and iCloud.
2. If you have tons of music & photos, back them up to a computer, cloud service or external drive, just in case.
3. Decide if you're going to restore from a backup or restore as a new device. IF YOU RESTORE AS NEW, ALL PREVIOUS DATA WILL BE LOST.
4. Be sure to download the latest version of iTunes FIRST. -- http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes --
5. Expect delays or slow connections, although you may be able to upgrade quickly.
​6. Expect a learning curve and be patient with it.
7. If there's an OTA update and you opt to do it that way, make sure your device is either fully charged or close to being fully charged.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Ah heck, why not?

Things to do prior to updating to iOS 7:

1. Backup your device, preferably to both iTunes and iCloud.
2. If you have tons of music & photos, back them up to a computer, cloud service or external drive, just in case.
3. Decide if you're going to restore from a backup or restore as a new device.
4. Be sure to download the latest version of iTunes FIRST.
5. Expect delays or slow connections, although you may be able to upgrade quickly.
​6. Expect a learning curve and be patient with it.

iTunes 11.1 isn't available just yet for Windows

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since you can?t install/sync the iOS 7 general release without it, it will be here today for both platforms. No need to panic...

I have iOS 7 installed but I'm starting to go insane without my music on my iPhone & iPod touch for the past week now...

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that for the people on the west coast, it's only 6:56 AM...:)

So that means that we’re looking at at least another 3 hours before it’s out... once again, patience is the word for today. Even when it’s "out", downloading will be slow, as the entire iOS world will be clammoring to get it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
ok i selected back up now to the cloud so it's doing that.
now how do i get the data on my phone once ios7 is installed?

After the update, you will be prompted to restore from a backup or set it up as new. Simply select the restore from iCloud backup option.

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
ok i followed the steps that justMe'D suggested.... all set and ready to go... and now im sitting here in front of my computer........ waiting.... i have my iphone plugged in and iTunes open..... glass of water, and a cup of tea to my right, a bag of kettle chips (cracked pepper and sea salt) to my left..... at 1pm i will hit the "check for update" button like a crazed lunatic... is that pretty much how y'all are doing it?? ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
so if i don't back up my music. it'll all get erased?
I highly doubt it, especially if you do an OTA update. When I updated to the iOS 7 beta GM, I didn't lose ANYTHING, but I did not restore it as new. Still, it doesn't hurt to backup your music, photos, etcetera just to be on the safe side. Some people will probably inadvertently select restore as new after the update and lose everything.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2