iOS 7 Crisis !

3adnan

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello all , I am new to this website , although I have always visited and read articles but never really signed up until now.

Yesterday I said , I will not sleep without getting iOS 7 on my phone , stupid I was , I downloaded the GM version through a friend of mine ( he is a developer )
and then hell started. The problem is that the iTunes that support iOS 7 GM is only available for Mac. and I am a Windows user. Anyway , I was able to upgrade to the iOS 7 but of course now I can't connect my iPhone to iTunes because it does not support it !! I really regret downloading iOS 7 now , for me , iOS 6 is way much better and more stable , there is a lot bugs that is still in iOS 7 .. maybe because most application does not match with the iOS 7. I am not sure how I feel about the iOS 7 , it does not feel stable and does not feel as powerful as iOS 6 . But anyway , I have a couple of questions I hope someone would help me with them.

1- is it possible for me to simply " downgrade " to iOS 6 ? and if so , how ? my iTunes does not even support my iPhone now !

2- on September 18th , when the GA version of the iOS 7 is out , how can I update to the iOS 7 ? will it be OTA ? I am really confused about this because I don't want to be stuck on the GM version ! ( please tell me the way in details of how I can upgrade from GM to GA later on )

Please be noted that I really REALLY don't want to lose my backup , I would rather go back to iOS 3 than losing any personal data haha :p

Thanks <3

madisonjar

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
#1. welcome to imore
#2. http://forums.imore.com/ios-7/257880-how-downgrade-ios-7-beta-back-ios-6-imore-blog.html (downgrade back to ios6)
#3. When it is released it will be available OTA just go to settings software upgrade.

And just a tip before creating a thread browse around the forums and see if there is already a thread up with your subject, you could have had your answer before even writing this! let us know how things go and we are here to help.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re #1... no, you can't go back.
Re #2... if you've installed the GM - you already have what will be released then. The GM is the iOS version that gets released 9/18. You don't do anything 9/18. You've already done it. If you've done iCloud back-ups, those are still available to you. Or once iTunes releases an update for Windows, the last back-up you made should be available to restore to.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can absolutely go back to iOS 6 if you're on iOS 7 GM. Just need to put your phone into recovery mode
and click the restore button. I just did it without a hitch.
Everything I've read said you couldn't go back to a prior iOS after installing the GM... perhaps it's just you can't go back to prior betas...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Everything I've read said you couldn't go back to a prior iOS after installing the GM... perhaps it's just you can't go back to prior betas...

Just betas. I tried to go back to beta 6 and couldn't. I entered recovery on my iPhone 5 and iTunes
went ahead and installed iOS 6.1.4 without a problem. It was only while the phone was on with iOS
7 GM that iTunes (on Windows) wouldn't connect my phone.

Edit: When I put my phone into recovery I used TinyUmbrella to do it. So I don't know if I was necessarily
in DFU or actual recovery mode.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think that is the key -- putting it in DFU mode. You can't just connect it to iTunes and simply hit restore, at least not with version 11.0.5.

It's even the key for people who try to restore as new at times and get errors. Sometimes DFU is just the way to go.

daniel_alexie

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Confirming what Heisenberg is saying here. Updated my 4S to IOS 7 GM from IOS 6.1.3. on a Windows PC. Battery life was very bad and since I didn't wanted to restore as new and update via ICloud since I decided that I'd prefer waiting till the 18th instead of possibly having decent battery life on a new install and live without my music library for a week, I tried following the steps in the "Downgrade to IOS 6" thread posted in this forum and it worked. Back on IOS 6. Hope this helps,

Daniel

daniel_alexie

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
P.S. (forgot to mention in previous reply)

I made an Icloud backup before updating to IOS 7 because I think I've read somewhere on this forum that ICloud backups made on IOS 7 can't be restored on IOS 6.

Thingofmyth

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that the iTunes that support iOS 7 GM is only available for Mac and I am a Windows user.

If you want support you could try some third party alternatives to itunes. There are plenty out there and they shouldn't be to hard to find and use until the GA version of itunes 11 comes out.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can also do a shift upgrade vs restore and all your data stays on your phone .. You still will not be able to sync with iTunes atleast for now but no need to restore

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You can also do a shift upgrade vs restore and all your data stays on your phone .. You still will not be able to sync with iTunes atleast for now but no need to restore

Will the shift+upgrade even work on something other than iTunes 11.1?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You can downgrade by going into DFU mode until iOS 7 is released and previous version iOS is no longer signed by apple. Yes it can be done.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Will the shift+upgrade even work on something other than iTunes 11.1?

Yes it can u still can't sync but it avoids restoring from iCloud because all things stay on your phone

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW