Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Siri location based reminder not working iOS 7?

So today on my way home I asked Siri to remind to charge my Fitbit Flex when I get home. She repeated the reminder and asked me to confirm, which I did. I did notice there was no geo-fence after I confirmed. 2 hours after I got home, still no reminder. I even tried to 'remind' Siri, and she confirmed there was a reminder set for when I got home. So, then I opened the reminders, and then it sounded. Am I missing something? Anyone else having trouble with Siri location based reminders in iOS 7?
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: Siri location based reminder not working iOS 7?

Doesn't work for me either
    iMore Nanite

Apple says that the location bases reminders are not working, when the reminder-app is not working (in foreground or in the multitasking-view).
    If you open the reminder-app, add a location-based reminders and terminate the reminder-app in the multitasking-view, it doesn't remind you either.

Apple says that this is no bug. It is "intended behavior". Look at my post in the apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23043449#23043449

in iOS6 the reminders work in background fine even if i terminated it.

That's really uncool in iOS7! In the Settings you can switch the "background-activity" for the reminders on (with geofencing) but if the reminder-app is not open it doesn't work.

That Sucks! Let's hope, Apple fixes this
    iMore Nanite

Make sure your wifi is on even if it's not connected to anything and the address of your location you're trying to get reminded for needs to be on a contact. This should work. I finally figured this out yesterday and it has worked every time and is very darn accurate!!
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Scstoney View Post
    Make sure your wifi is on even if it's not connected to anything and the address of your location you're trying to get reminded for needs to be on a contact. This should work. I finally figured this out yesterday and it has worked every time and is very darn accurate!!
    My Wifi is always on and the Adress (all the Adresses I tried) is in the Contacts. Does not work (only when Reminder-App is in Foreground or appears in Multitasking-Window)

iMore Nanite

Same for me. Specifically an iPhone 4S with iOS 7 does not offer the opportunity to create an Task / To-do with a location service.

I checked Settings > Privacy > Locations Services and the individual apps that can be turned on or off. Reminder app does not appear in the list.

I have checked a colleagues 4s and the same for him. I have checked a 4 and a 5 and both can use location reminders and both have the Reminder app in their Location Services

At this moment I believe its a 4s iOS 7 issue
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I have a 5S and it's the same way. Unless I manually enter the reminder and location and leave the reminders open, it doesn't work. I don't know what Apple was thinking when they set up IOS7 this way. Google Now kicks Apple's but in this area.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I found out that Siri will remind me when I get home. Works perfectly. It just doesn't work anywhere else. The reminder will show up in the reminders app but unless I manually go in and add the location, it won't work. Except, like I mentioned earlier, if I say "remind me to.......when I get home, it works great.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

No fix yet? Maybe in 7.1?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,724 Global Posts

In iOS 7.0.X apps cannot track your location in the background when the app is closed or kill that's why geofence reminders don't work. This is suppose to be fixed in iOS 7.1 though.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

They work. It's that Siri can't make them work. I always leave everything running in the background so that's not a problem. I never have a problem if I do it manually.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Well I got the new 7.1 update and they didn't "fix" this issue. At least Google works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Just found this thread for my research. 4S running 7.0.6 and location reminders not working as of last night.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Siri will set up a reminder for home or work but for anywhere else, Siri will create the reminder but you have to physically open the reminder in the reminders app and edit it to add the location.

iMore Newbie

Just went in to Settings > General > Background App refresh and turned back on. Hope this helps. I'll try on the commute today.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Didn't help with mine. Tell Siri to remind you to get something the next time you're at Walmart. Then tell Siri to remind you to do something when you get home. See which one you get a notification for.