Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Default spotlight in ios 7!

with iOS 7 launch approaching, i feel the less appreciated feature in the next iteration of iOS is the spotlight. Although i use regularly spotlight on my mac but i don't use it that much on my ios devices because it is a bit lengthy to use it in iOS 6 as it includes either swiping all the way to the first screen or pressing the home button twice slowly. I have many apps on my iPhone and iPad so finding them without using spotlight takes a lot of time. but with spotlight made so easily approachable in iOS 7,i will be regularly using it as it.

anyone else excited for spotlight feature in iOS 7?

Global Posts
    7,219 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: spotlight in ios 7!

It's great. I use it all the time in the beta.
    iMore Nanite

It only searches apps now though. For it to be useful for me, it'd have to include web searches or at least links to one (like iOS 6)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyFlyy View Post
    It only searches apps now though. For it to be useful for me, it'd have to include web searches or at least links to one (like iOS 6)
    Go to Settings / General / Spotlight Search and turn on search for the components for which you want Spotlight to search. #problemsolved
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

I use spotlight now all the time in iOS 6, both for web searches and for stuff in the phone, a sing I want to hear, an app to open, finding an old email, or document, etc. I look foward to this being more easy to access in iOS 7. I must say I hope that going to settings and controling spotlight lets me still access all those things.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by John Flud View Post
    I use spotlight now all the time in iOS 6, both for web searches and for stuff in the phone, a sing I want to hear, an app to open, finding an old email, or document, etc. I look foward to this being more easy to access in iOS 7. I must say I hope that going to settings and controling spotlight lets me still access all those things.
    Is that enough options?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spotlight in ios 7!-img_1673.png  
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

that'll do just fine! LOL
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,513 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use it all the time. It's indispensable for me.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad Air Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Yosemite 10.10
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Go to Settings / General / Spotlight Search and turn on search for the components for which you want Spotlight to search. #problemsolved
    But there still isn't an option to for web searches... spotlight in ios 7!-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1377400134.616575.jpg
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

why would they take that way? its much quicker to go to spotlight and type a term, then hit search web, than to open safari and type a term, especially with spotlight on every page now.

if this isn't fixed by the general release it means I'll have to find the page with safari, open it and then type the term and hit search instead of just pulling down spotlight, typing in the term and hitting search.

seems more clunky if the new way is how they're doing it and not a beta glitch.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

people who own a mac are into spotlight but people who buy an iOS device first don't know how useful spotlight is. Probably with this version of iOS many people will realise that
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by sanc333 View Post
    people who own a mac are into spotlight but people who buy an iOS device first don't know how useful spotlight is. Probably with this version of iOS many people will realise that
    You are right, I haven't used spotlight ever, it was more of a nuisance then help as I accidentally swipe into it. I'm quite organized on my phone deleting apps I haven't use for a while (knowing that AppStore saves all my purchases and I can get it back for free). But I really want to get used to using it, but I'm not sure that I will. I'm really happy that they're hiding it from my view unless a certain gesture wakes it up (hopefully that wont be an accidental swipe all the time). But Siri (on my iPad, I still use 3GS waiting on iP5s), anyway, Siri launches everything now, including searches within a calendar and email. I guess we'll see.
    cp7
    iMore Beginner

One of my top 3 features I like in iOS7