ibooks banned?

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just read on cult of mac that apple's attempt to stay the DOJ's penalties while it seeks appeal has been denied.

I'm not clear though on what that means for me the consumer.

when they say apple can't make deals for five years, even on music, and movies, does this mean no deals at all, and apple can't sell books and music and movies anymore, and iOS7 will now have to take away ibooks and the itunes store, or does it simply mean apple has less control over the pricing, but that I'll still be able to buy music, books and videos from apple?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I just read on cult of mac that apple's attempt to stay the DOJ's penalties while it seeks appeal has been denied.

I'm not clear though on what that means for me the consumer.

when they say apple can't make deals for five years, even on music, and movies, does this mean no deals at all, and apple can't sell books and music and movies anymore, and iOS7 will now have to take away ibooks and the itunes store, or does it simply mean apple has less control over the pricing, but that I'll still be able to buy music, books and videos from apple?

It means that they will be forced to close the iBookstore, if they don't win a future appeal. Music, movies, and apps will remain unchanged. The App Store and iTunes are totally unaffected by this ruling. The only thing in iTunes that may change would be that Apple would be required to let people like Amazon advertise their books and music in iOS apps and make direct purchases from those apps. Nothing to worry about here, unless you are a big iBooks fan.

Last edited:

Tryptykon

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I hope not, ever since I found out that iBooks could be used to read PDF files that has been my go to app for reading those types of files, I do have a few samples of books sitting on the virtual bookshelf and thought about purchasing copies of those through the iBookstore. Plus I love the look and feel of the app

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't use iBooks and I think that Apple are guilty of price fixing but I think that not allowing them to sell books through iBooks is harsh. They could allow other vendors to sell books through their apps on iOS devices and that would be a suitable punishment IMO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR