Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Default Disabling Find My Phone with broken screen on iOS 7

Good evening! So I put the latest beta on my trusty iphone 5 last night and toyed with it for a few minutes and then went to be; content. I woke up this morning to my alarm going off, as per usual, but I couldn't turn it off. I couldn't turn it off because the screen wouldn't come on. So, I did some troubleshooting and it's a hardware issue, apparently coincidental. I spent several hours today troubleshooting it and I'm a fairly tech savvy guy, so I'm completely confident it's a hardware issue(read on and you can Verizon concurs). Any how, Verizon is sending me a new iphone tomorrow, but I want to know what steps I need to take to clear the iphone which has no working screen? I'm posting this here because in my troubleshooting I noticed that I couldn't restore the phone with turning 'Find my iphone' off on the phone. Well, if the screen worked, no biggie, but it doesn't. What steps do I need to take here? I assume I can disable this some how independently of the busted iphone? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Global Posts
    19,260 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default re: Disabling Find My Phone with broken screen on iOS 7

Connect it to iTunes and see if it will recognize it. If so, follow the step via the following link to put your phone in DFU mode to downgrade back to iOS 6.1.4.

http://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-i...eta-back-ios-6
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

thanks for your advice! i'm trying it now but the phone only went into recovery mode. i suspect this won't work but we'll see. if it doesn't, and i can't get into dfu mode (the timing is easier with a functioning screen), any other suggestions?

Global Posts
    19,260 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hopefully, it will work for you. By the way, iTunes will still mention "recovery mode" even though the device could be in DFU mode. We'll know soon enough, huh?...
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Well, it worked. I still needed to put in my apple credentials prior to activating it though. My concern is I want to disable the find my iphone feature and disassociate it with my apple id, but i'm not sure how to go about that? Thanks again for your help!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by travva View Post
    Well, it worked. I still needed to put in my apple credentials prior to activating it though. My concern is I want to disable the find my iphone feature and disassociate it with my apple id, but i'm not sure how to go about that? Thanks again for your help!
    You can turn off Find My iPhone in the settings menu. Simply go to Settings - iCloud - scroll down to "Find My iPhone" and turn it OFF. This will disable that feature until you turn it on again.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Thanks for your reply but i'm not sure if you read my post. My screen does not work, in any way.

Global Posts
    19,260 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Rose is correct. Also, are you now able to use the retina display?

Global Posts
    19,260 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default somewhat unique situation

Thanks for your reply but i'm not sure if you read my post. My screen does not work, in any way.
    Disregard my last post in regard to the screen. Furthermore, you can login to iCloud.com, select the find my iPhone option, view your devices and select the one in question and then hit the "X" next to it to remove it from the list. It will state that it will show up again once the device is connected to the Internet but disregard it. The device will need to be configured with your Apple ID.
    Thanked by:
    travva (08-07-2013)
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Disregard my last post in regard to the screen. Furthermore, you can login to iCloud.com, select the find my iPhone option, view your devices and select the one in question and then hit the "X" next to it to remove it from the list. It will state that it will show up again once the device is connected to the Internet but disregard it. The device will need to be configured with your Apple ID.
    Ah, fantastic! And, no, sadly the screen doesn't work still. It comes on but there's nothing but a blank screen that appears unresponsive. Not that I doubt you, but do you have a source for this piece of info? Or, have you done with ios 7, preferably beta 5? Thanks again for all your help!

Global Posts
    19,260 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default somewhat unique situation

You're very welcome, and no sir, I do not have any experience whatsoever with iOS 7.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Default Re: somewhat unique situation

Well shucks. I'm specifically talking about a newer feature in ios 7, specifically something that was enabled in beta 5. This article explains it further: iOS 7 preview: Activation lock aims to keep out the crooks | iMore

Global Posts
    19,260 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: somewhat unique situation

Well shucks. I'm specifically talking about a newer feature in ios 7, specifically something that was enabled in beta 5. This article explains it further: iOS 7 preview: Activation lock aims to keep out the crooks | iMore
    The article states the following:

"If you remotely wipe a device, you can re-activate it using activation lock and your Apple ID and password as well."

That tells me that if you login to iCloud.com, select the Find My iPhone feature, and then use it to erase your i-device, that is all you need to do. It makes sense because your Apple ID is needed to deactivate the feature from your iPhone and since you're logged in to iCloud using your Apple ID, it should be assumed that the remote wipe legit. I hope that made sense.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Default Disabling Find My Phone with broken screen on iOS 7

Sorry, yes I did miss that part. In the case of your screen not working, what D posted will work.... You can remove your iPhone from Find my iPhone by logging into iCloud.com - Click on the Find My iPhone icon - Click on Devices at the to left - select the iPhone that they wish to remove - Click on "Remove From Find My iPhone". This will remove the iPhone.

Edit: Disregard this post. I see that you have fixed this part.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.