Anyone already decided not upgrading to ios 7?

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have not decided yet.

I waited for almost a year and a half of my Pre & bought an iphone 4s specifically because i liked the look. I very much don't like that way windows looks with all it's flat tones and text. So ios 7 is a jarring, unwanted shock. Also my phone is used primarily for playing music and podcasts. The music app is important. I'll never use radio, i don't have content from itunes, i don't use match. I just have a large 64gb phone. So my big concern will be changes to the music interface. If menu navigation has changed in a way that makes using the phone music player a pain i'll be disappointed. Like when i had a pre, it was hard to navigate by genre, you just got a massive list of alphabetized songs. With thousands and thousands of songs that's a useless mode. Better it go genre, artist, album, then song. So having not seen that i'll have to wait and see. I just don't know yet. I may load the beta just to see. But i've already bookmarked how to roll back to ios 6 for the future and i've already saved the current ios 6 firmware on my hard drive. I'll have to figure out if there's more i have to do just to be safe. i like some of the feature in ios 7 but they've gutted the looks of it the major reason i got the phone. It's honestly made me reconsider if i'll buy an android phone next time around but the thing is i'm not buying a new phone in the next 7 or 8 months anyways so I have time to see if i change my mind, see if ios 7 grows on me or see if i can change it to make it work for me. Like maybe jailbreak skins come out removing some flatness. Honestly i know nothing about skinning ios or if it's possible but i once saw what i thought were skins that you could install in jailbroken. What i really wish is they'd have given us multiple ios skins and we could simply go into settings and change the look of ios.

ferniesp

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You know, I have used all of the betas and to be quite honest, even if IOS 7 ran perfect, I would pass for IOS 6. It just looks like a kids operating system and the colors have got to go. Yes, I am sure they will work on the colors and some other things but at the end of the day, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Thats how I see IOS 6. I think Apple dropped the ball and should have concentrated on widgets or customization.

Thats just my two cents.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll upgrade to iOS 7. I saw a good news about the beta's fingerprint recognition shared by enolsoft on twitter. I wanna try it ASAP! :D

If, in fact, there is a fingerprint scanner, it won’t be in any device other than the new iPhone. The existing phones don’t have the hardware component...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You know, I have used all of the betas and to be quite honest, even if IOS 7 ran perfect, I would pass for IOS 6. It just looks like a kids operating system and the colors have got to go. Yes, I am sure they will work on the colors and some other things but at the end of the day, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Thats how I see IOS 6. I think Apple dropped the ball and should have concentrated on widgets or customization.

Thats just my two cents.

speaking of kids.. it seems like you're acting like one who did not get the toy they wanted

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The iOS 7 release date can't come quick enough for me. The last time I was looking forward to a software release was iOS 5. iMessage and notifications centre ect.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The iOS 7 release date can't come quick enough for me. The last time I was looking forward to a software release was iOS 5. iMessage and notifications centre ect.

Sent from my iPhone 5 32Gb white.

I'm with you. I spent a lot of time customising my GS3 to have the look and colour scheme of iOS 7, I love what I've seen so far and can't wait.

I guess if that means I'm a 'kid' because I like the redesign, I'm a 38 year old child.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
One of the things I like about iOS is 3 years of free updates.
(3 years being an approximate number. It's not written in stone) ;)
Of course I'm gonna download it.
Then wait for a jailbreak.
Then wait for a patch that kills the jailbreak.
Then NOT download the patch.
(Unless it also fixes something I can't live with) ;)

It's part of iOS culture.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
One of the things I like about iOS is 3 years of free updates.
Of course I'm gonna download it.
Then wait for a jailbreak.
Then wait for a patch that kills the jailbreak.
Then NOT download the patch.
(Unless it also fixes something I can't live with) ;)

It's part of iOS culture.

Three years of free updates? The updates are always free... and will continue to come as long as the hardware supports the feature set of the OS - for the life of the device...

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Three years of free updates? The updates are always free... and will continue to come as long as the hardware supports the feature set of the OS - for the life of the device...

...which is about 3 years.

I'll edit my post to make it more semantically pleasing to you. :)

Edit: I'm basing this on my first iPhone, the 3GS.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
...which is about 3 years.

I'll edit my post to make it more semantically pleasing to you. :)

Edit: I'm basing this on my first iPhone, the 3GS.

Got it. My point was that there is not published timeframe... but there is definitely an "end of life cycle" for most products... and just saying "3 years of updates" is not totally accurate...

We’re good here. :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple will provide you any iOS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPhone OS software release following the version of iPhone OS that originally shipped from Apple on your iPhone, for free.

For example, if your iPhone originally shipped with iPhone 2.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPhone OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPhone 3.x software release.

The problem with this is that there's no clear timeline, something that says 'after such and such a date, your handset will no longer receive updates or security fixes.' That would be clear and concise. It would mean that owners wouldn't have to keep track of which iOS they had on the phone originally and what they have now.

And yes back in the day iPod owners did have to pay...

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
With this also, you can do the math....

Example -

When iOS 4 was released in 2010, the original iPhone could not benefit from any of the new features and was essentially outdated. This meant that the original iPhone had an effective lifespan of three years. The iPhone 3G, released in June 2008, had similar difficulties running iOS 4 when users tried to upgrade from their original operating system.

Apple stopped supporting the iPhone 3G with software updates back in the day, as the newer iPhone 4 was introduced. This meant that both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G had a lifespan of about three years before users would have to seriously consider upgrading their phones. The same is currently going on now.....

Just history in the making....

Attachments

• iOS Stats.PNG
    iOS Stats.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 63

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Apple will provide you any iOS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPhone OS software release following the version of iPhone OS that originally shipped from Apple on your iPhone, for free.

For example, if your iPhone originally shipped with iPhone 2.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPhone OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPhone 3.x software release.

The problem with this is that there's no clear timeline, something that says 'after such and such a date, your handset will no longer receive updates or security fixes.' That would be clear and concise. It would mean that owners wouldn't have to keep track of which iOS they had on the phone originally and what they have now.

And yes back in the day iPod owners did have to pay...

I don’t want to beat a dead horse...but while what you quoted may be Apple's written policy, it doesn’t hold true in all cases. For example, the iPhone 4 was released in June 2010 with iOS 4. The iPhone 4 will continue to support, to some extent, the new iOS 7, which is 2 major updates beyond that published policy. (According to the policy, the iPhone 4 was eligible for iOS 4 and iOS 5 only.) Had that policy been strictly enforced, there would have been no iOS 6 or iOS 7 for the iPhone 4.

The same was true of the iPhone 3GS - upgradable to iOS 6.

My point is that as long as the hardware can support it to a reasonable extent, the new software, that software will be made available for that device.

And you are correct in that Apple used to charge for iOS updates for iPods... We’ve come a long way, baby!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Also the factor of replacing the battery to keep an existing iPhone operational costs nearly $100, many people simply go for the newest iPhone version, with more powerful hardware and operating system...

Resistance is futile!!!! lol

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why or how anyone could justify not upgrading.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

I love my JB too much, that's how I justify it.. Now if a JB comes out for IO7, then I'll reconsider.. but to me, there is just too many pluses to my a JB'd phone to change that. YMMV..

jerseykirby

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have decided to go ahead and try out the Beta finally, it is a refreshing update I will say this. Very fluid even for a Beta, appealing to the eyes, easy to use still. A lot of added functionality, the works. I will say this though, I find it to be a bit lackluster. I realize this may contradict what I said previously but it is currenty how I feel about the update. I guess I was just expecting something more from Apple other than a reskin to the current iOS I suppose. The added functionality is amazing don't get me wrong, I just feel it's too little too late. They did perfect it though, in a way most can't it just works and is a great addition but like I said I expected more. My fault though, not Apple's. They aren't going to lose ground anytime soon with this update nor do I feel they will lose customers, they are most certainly headed in the right direction.