Anyone already decided not upgrading to ios 7?

vakama94

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I want to upgrade but since I have an iPod Touch 4G that may not be possible. Also, I don't have the money to get a new iPod so I guess I'll left in the dust for a while.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. I thought the comment was '...putting a laundry list of gimmicks into a device...', not 'creating ads promoting gimmicks'. I'll agree, Apple hasn't promoted its more notable upgrade iOS gimmicks in ads (just as well really), preferring to flog them to the Macoyltes at conferences and then making a big deal of the fact that some of the apps may actually work as expected in the next iOS. Yeah, that's cutting age innovation.

Apple seems to be devoting more time in its advertising promoting xenophobia rather than the product itself. God Bless America: its designed in California - albeit by a Brit.

As for other OSs gimmicky stuff like eye scroll, pause a video when you look away - yeah, absolutely, I'll agree.
But I will point out those are features in (here I'm guessing you're inferring Android) the stock version of the current OS, but rather are additional 'features' built into particular manufacturer's devices. Users are free to choose the manufacturer and/or disable these apps as they so wish. Choice. You remember choice? Never a hallmark of the iOS experience (short of wallpapers and shifting icons to a different page/order), I daresay its something even some iOS users would appreciate - however gimmicky they want to make their own personal device.

I guess the upshot of all this is, I'm not seeing anything in the comments, reviews or user experiences of the Beta iOS 7 to suggest that this is a new version of the current OS. Its not new. Or an upgrade. Its a patch. At best, a point update - wrapped in pretty new icons. But Apple never talks of patches - always updates. Certainly nothing there (yet) as 'One more thing'.

Disappointing.

What is it exactly that you want? Are you upset that there isn't a widget to do the same thing for you that opening an app does? Are you upset that IOS 7 doesn't give you face unlock, or folder preview, etc? Or is it that you cannot 'choose' your keyboard, live wallpaper, or other third party function? One of my favorite gripes by those who make it known to all as to why they are 'jumping ship' to android is that they are sick of the 'walled garden' and want a platform where Apple doesn't make all of their choices for them. So they scream from their pedestal of how it's good riddance to Apple....and then the 'I'm back' thread inevitably pops up several months later. Why? Because they soon realize that they experienced tradeoffs to have all of that 'choice'. They realized that they spent more time customizing their device to try and get it to work efficiently than they did just using it. They realized in order to minimize the lag, or poor battery life, they had to disable most if not all of the 'innovative features' for the phone to run as they wish. Why do you think that in the iphone 5 forum, there are maybe 5 or 7 threads that get new posts daily whereas in the GS4 there are nearly 5x as many? Because they are littered with people trying to figure out what the hell they just did to screw up their device, or how to fix something that isn't working as planned. But alas, hail 'choice'!

There is truly no reason to take this any further. You are disappointed with IOS 7 and its patch job. You are disappointed in Apple and their lack of a 'one more thing'. Well, stand in line with everyone else then. Because from the Nexus 4, to the HTC One X, to the RAZR to the GS4.....there hasn't been a 'one more thing' for quite some time....

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...I'm not seeing anything in the comments, reviews or user experiences of the Beta iOS 7 to suggest that this is a new version of the current OS. Its not new. Or an upgrade. Its a patch. At best, a point update - wrapped in pretty new icons. But Apple never talks of patches - always updates. Certainly nothing there (yet) as 'One more thing'.

Disappointing.

You don't see anything because you chose not to. Read any of Rene's iMore Blog articles regarding iOS7.... not that any of that would change your mind... and you're disappointed because you want to be.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What is it exactly that you want? Are you upset that there isn't a widget to do the same thing for you that opening an app does? Are you upset that IOS 7 doesn't give you face unlock, or folder preview, etc? Or is it that you cannot 'choose' your keyboard, live wallpaper, or other third party function? One of my favorite gripes by those who make it known to all as to why they are 'jumping ship' to android is that they are sick of the 'walled garden' and want a platform where Apple doesn't make all of their choices for them. So they scream from their pedestal of how it's good riddance to Apple....and then the 'I'm back' thread inevitably pops up several months later. Why? Because they soon realize that they experienced tradeoffs to have all of that 'choice'. They realized that they spent more time customizing their device to try and get it to work efficiently than they did just using it. They realized in order to minimize the lag, or poor battery life, they had to disable most if not all of the 'innovative features' for the phone to run as they wish. Why do you think that in the iphone 5 forum, there are maybe 5 or 7 threads that get new posts daily whereas in the GS4 there are nearly 5x as many? Because they are littered with people trying to figure out what the hell they just did to screw up their device, or how to fix something that isn't working as planned. But alas, hail 'choice'!

There is truly no reason to take this any further. You are disappointed with IOS 7 and its patch job. You are disappointed in Apple and their lack of a 'one more thing'. Well, stand in line with everyone else then. Because from the Nexus 4, to the HTC One X, to the RAZR to the GS4.....there hasn't been a 'one more thing' for quite some time....

Bingo. This is a spot-on analysis, and I could not have said it better.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. I thought the comment was '...putting a laundry list of gimmicks into a device...', not 'creating ads promoting gimmicks'. I'll agree, Apple hasn't promoted its more notable upgrade iOS gimmicks in ads (just as well really), preferring to flog them to the Macoyltes at conferences and then making a big deal of the fact that some of the apps may actually work as expected in the next iOS. Yeah, that's cutting age innovation.

Apple seems to be devoting more time in its advertising promoting xenophobia rather than the product itself. God Bless America: its designed in California - albeit by a Brit.

As for other OSs gimmicky stuff like eye scroll, pause a video when you look away - yeah, absolutely, I'll agree.
But I will point out those are features in (here I'm guessing you're inferring Android) the stock version of the current OS, but rather are additional 'features' built into particular manufacturer's devices. Users are free to choose the manufacturer and/or disable these apps as they so wish. Choice. You remember choice? Never a hallmark of the iOS experience (short of wallpapers and shifting icons to a different page/order), I daresay its something even some iOS users would appreciate - however gimmicky they want to make their own personal device.

I guess the upshot of all this is, I'm not seeing anything in the comments, reviews or user experiences of the Beta iOS 7 to suggest that this is a new version of the current OS. Its not new. Or an upgrade. Its a patch. At best, a point update - wrapped in pretty new icons. But Apple never talks of patches - always updates. Certainly nothing there (yet) as 'One more thing'.

Disappointing.

At the risk of you reading this as "don't the the screen door hit ya..." comment, it’s time to understand that you have choices.

If what Apple offers isn't getting it done for you, why whine about it? Move on. If Apple's offering works, use it and enjoy it. If not, move your feet on down the road and find something that works for you. Life is too short to fight/whine/complain... save yourself (and us) the grief and get an Android, WP or BlackBerry and live your life.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Great summary. As someone who has used multiple platforms, there's no truer statement than OS choice is all about trade-offs. While I liked many of the features of each platform I used (BlackBerry/Android), each had limitations that were frustrating. Truth be told, so does iOS. However, weighing all the pros and cons, iOS comes out on top for me for overall user experience, so I'm sticking with it for now and will definitely be upgrading to iOS 7 when it's available to the public.

tristandc

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how a thread asking about updating to iOS 7 turned into an Android vs iOS war, but okay. I do plan on updating my iPad Mini to iOS 7; I don't really see the argument as to why someone wouldn't.. It's the latest software form Apple, just not updating because of the new visual design (Long overdue BTW) and basing everything on a few betas is crazy. I think it will be a great update. I agree it would have been nice to see some widgets ( and yes they are useful ) but oh we'll. like the previous poster said, there are trade offs with every OS. IOS sacrifices customization and some features for excellent user experience and seamless performance. Android sacrifices some performance for more features. I don't pick one over the other. I have a iPad for a tablet and a GS3 for my phone. The main problem with Android now is the bloat and garbage that manufacturers put on their phones nowadays. Sure some Samsung features are useful but the phones suffer from unstable battery life and occasional lag. Stock jellybean (ala Nexus 4) is pretty much on par with iOS in terms of performance; Google has done a really good job with stock Android. But for some reason people flock to Galaxy phones.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Preach it brother!!

Sent from Jack Bauer's PDA.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Also these people are all fluff and stuff. They always post stupid these stupid responses than are never heard from again. Obviously cause their arguments can't hold water once our voices of reason speak.

Sent from Jack Bauer's PDA.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading. I can't wait. it looks like its gonna be a killer release! and now with apple purchasing hopstop, it'll have native transit support again. (assuming thats ready by september anyway)

I can't wait!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I do not see any reason why I shouldn't update to iOS7, especially since every major update brings more functionality with it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Great summary. As someone who has used multiple platforms, there's no truer statement than OS choice is all about trade-offs. While I liked many of the features of each platform I used (BlackBerry/Android), each had limitations that were frustrating. Truth be told, so does iOS. However, weighing all the pros and cons, iOS comes out on top for me for overall user experience, so I'm sticking with it for now and will definitely be upgrading to iOS 7 when it's available to the public.

Yes. The overall user experience combined with the upcoming iOS 7 enhancements is what triggered my move back to iOS from over a year in Android land. Now picture someone with a Galaxy Note 2 and its massive screen, 4G LTE, and solid features going back to a mothballed 4S and iOS 6.1.3. That's me. Why would I do this besides gaining the apparent goodness that will be iOS 7?

The main reason is seamless integration with the OS X, iCloud, and Apple TV ecosystem in the house. Throw in iMessage and FaceTime capabilities with extended family members, and a solid support set from Apple as a few more reasons. Consistent user interface and a functional native backup system with iTunes are yet more reasons.

I'm holding out for a larger iPhone than the 5. If that doesn't materialize I'll still pickup a 5S or whatever the next one is. That's how much I'm willing to temporarily give up related to form factor and features in exchange for a seamless, stable, solid, and relatively worry free experience.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I know this is probably a horrible analogy, i just hope ios 7 doesnt end up being like the "windows 8 experience" where as the os is so drastically changed. For me personally i love apple products and it is the little things that count for me. I probably will update anyways just because i want my apps to continue to be supported. I guess we will have to wait to see the future of apple now that Steve is no longer the control of things. Miss you man!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I know this is probably a horrible analogy, i just hope ios 7 doesnt end up being like the "windows 8 experience" where as the os is so drastically changed. For me personally i love apple products and it is the little things that count for me. I probably will update anyways just because i want my apps to continue to be supported. I guess we will have to wait to see the future of apple now that Steve is no longer the control of things. Miss you man!

IMHO, this is a horrible analogy. Sure Apple has switched up quite a bit about iOS 7, but I defy anyone to convince me that they can look at it and not know what to do. Windows 8 was an incredible change to the very functionality of the device/OS. Savvy and seasoned techies had no clue how to proceed.

Sure, the icons and the "look" of iOS 7 could be considered a drastic departure from previous versions of iOS, but you still launch apps by tapping on the icons... tapping the home button still takes you to your home screen... "Settings" still functions similarly to the previous versions, though some additional niceties have been added - including shortcuts to toggles for some of the basic controls (Airplane Mode, Wifi, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb, Rotation Lock and media player controls)... and Apple has given us a lot of new functionality.

Whether or not you approve of the new look and the new icon set, iOS 7 is definitely a big evolutionary step for iOS, not a complete redo of the interface that makes its use difficult, confusing and a downright frustrating experience.

Last edited:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
It never fails to amaze me how quickly Apple fans take umbrage to any individual / blog site / media outlet who suggest, even with regrets, that perhaps an Apple product isn't as good as advertised / hoped for - and how loudly (and often, unpleasantly) these enthusiasts lash out. And Apple seems to rely on these folk to 'keep the brand alive', even when they know work must be done.

In my original post, I noted I have an iPhone 4 and I stated I would be upgrading to iOS7 to see what was improvements were there. But I also suggested that perhaps the improvements would be incremental - at worse, cosmetic - rather than improving the iOS experience for me. Later in the thread we discussed smartphones maturing and perhaps only a finite number of things one can do to them and I agreed with that, but thought perhaps Apple had gotten distracted with adding 'features' (Newsstand, Passbook, Siri, Facebook integration, the replacement of Maps) rather than fixing the existing iOS, its built-in apps and the user experience. The iPhone (and its OS) - 5 years on - has got to be better than an over-sexed iPod Touch and more than a direct conduit to Apple's money-maker, the iTunes Store.

Meanwhile, my suggestion that perhaps my next phone wouldn't be an iPhone opened the floodgates to a lot of apparent hate-on for the Android OS (and, as is appropriate per the market share, Windows) - and I'll admit there's bad (and good) things about these alternative systems and the apps they include. But not enough to encourage the sturm und drang that accompanied the responses.

The iPhone and its OS may be the best of the lot at present, but that is no reason for Apple to rest on its laurels. OS creators on all sides should learn and adapt - and not just sue others to distract from lack of anything 'insanely great'. And Jobs is dead - get over the fact the anti-social megalomaniac no longer tells you want you want or that you hold the product wrong. Demand more from Apple - because there are options.

But the whole Apple vs Them rage from Macoyltes is so 1990s and wildly misplaced.

scottalg

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I will absolutely upgrade all my devices to iOS7...been playing around with the beta releases and think it's a long overdue refresh of the user experience...so much cleaner and almost eliminates the need for jail break...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2