Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default iOS 7's Calendar App needs some drastic improvements

I still can't get over the removal of all the "month view" functionality. That was my most used view in iOS 6... you get to see the entire month, you know when you have events, and when you press a particular day, the list view of that day's event shows on the bottom in a great list. I've tried almost every 3rd party calendar app, and I kept going back to the stock app even thought it wasn't the most attractive.

Now, Apple has decided to neuter the "month view" and the "week view" requires you to scroll through the entire day (24 hour day) even if you only have one event that day! WTF. At least provide an option to preview the week view with a list function instead of a full day function. Very disappointing.

Although I like the look of the new calendar app, the usability and functionality are terrible compared to older stock app.
    ruger141 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: iOS 7's Calendar App needs some drastic improvements

Quote Originally Posted by grujaz10 View Post
    I still can't get over the removal of all the "month view" functionality. That was my most used view in iOS 6... you get to see the entire month, you know when you have events, and when you press a particular day, the list view of that day's event shows on the bottom in a great list. I've tried almost every 3rd party calendar app, and I kept going back to the stock app even thought it wasn't the most attractive.

Now, Apple has decided to neuter the "month view" and the "week view" requires you to scroll through the entire day (24 hour day) even if you only have one event that day! WTF. At least provide an option to preview the week view with a list function instead of a full day function. Very disappointing.

Although I like the look of the new calendar app, the usability and functionality are terrible compared to older stock app.
    In iOS 7 b3, when I tap on a date in month view, the calendar switches to day view for that day, and lists all events scheduled for that day. To go back to month view, just tap the name of the month at the top of the screen. Not sure it’s an issue... but then, I rarely use the built-in iOS calendar app... I use Fantastical...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,992 Global Posts
    iOS Version

As far as I can see, the month view is still there. See the screenshots here:

Am I missing something?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Are you saying the events don't display on the month view on your iPad?
    If that's the case I would really be disappointed.
    TIA

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Are you saying the events don't display on the month view on your iPad?
    If that's the case I would really be disappointed.
    TIA
    No, the iPad calendar's month view seems to work as it should. The iPhone on the other hand has lost functionality in the month view. If you look at the month view in iOS 6, you'll see that when you click on a day, the events for that day appear below the month grid (in the blank space below) so that you can scroll through them very easily. This allows for great multi-tasking and provides a good amount of information. Now with iOS 7... when you click on a day in the month view, it's takes you to the week view. You no longer can simply click through different days in the month view and see all of your events below.

Also, when you do get to week view, the events are listed in a full 24h day view below. Not a simple list view of only when you have appointments. I really don't understand this. I don't need the calendar to show me my free time, I know that if I have an appointment scheduled from 1pm - 2pm and the next appointment is at 5pm, then I have 3 hours of free time. Why do I have to scroll through 3 hours of blank space just to see that I have some free time??? And what makes it worst is that it's a full 24h day. As if I have appointments scheduled at 2am!
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

No, the iPad calendar's month view seems to work as it should. The iPhone on the other hand has lost functionality in the month view. If you look at the month view in iOS 6, you'll see that when you click on a day, the events for that day appear below the month grid (in the blank space below) so that you can scroll through them very easily. This allows for great multi-tasking and provides a good amount of information. Now with iOS 7... when you click on a day in the month view, it's takes you to the week view. You no longer can simply click through different days in the month view and see all of your events below.

Also, when you do get to week view, the events are listed in a full 24h day view below. Not a simple list view of only when you have appointments. I really don't understand this. I don't need the calendar to show me my free time, I know that if I have an appointment scheduled from 1pm - 2pm and the next appointment is at 5pm, then I have 3 hours of free time. Why do I have to scroll through 3 hours of blank space just to see that I have some free time??? And what makes it worst is that it's a full 24h day. As if I have appointments scheduled at 2am!
    OK now I understand you concerns grunaz10.
    As do you, I like the way the month view currently displays the events in iOS6. Gonna have to get use to the Week view.
    And hopefully, the final release will give you the option to not display the free time in the day view.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 07-13-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Newbie

I do not have an iPad running iOS 7, just my iphone 5, can someone post some screencaps of the calendar app in its various views?
    Thanks
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Hello everyone, I've searching and it seems no so much people are affected with this. But I use stock calendar app a lot and have scheduled specific events trough every day and a lot of all day events such as birthdays.

Question is, in iOS 7 all day events don't show up in notification center's "today" view and in "tomorrow" view it says "there's xx events programmed for tomorrow, fist one starts at 9 am" but tomorrow there's an all day event too and it is ignored.

Are you experiencing this? Is there an option or setting am I missing?
    I've have same settings used in iOS 6 and of course they worked fine.

Pals I'm aware it's beta, I'm just sharing my experience to find out if it is a known bug or if there's a workaround (there's nothing about this in Beta 3 release notes).
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Wow, this would be absolutely horrible if they removed the events area at the bottom of the month view and instead made you change views to see what you had scheduled.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,814 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by quamdar View Post
    Wow, this would be absolutely horrible if they removed the events area at the bottom of the month view and instead made you change views to see what you had scheduled.
    Yes I miss that also it makes it hard to see what you had scheduled

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Nanite

when you press a particular day, the list view of that day's event shows on the bottom in a great list. I

Now, Apple has decided to neuter the "month view" and the "week view" requires you to scroll through the entire day (24 hour day) even if you only have one event that day! WTF.
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!
    I hope they'll change that soon..
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I miss the List View.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I miss the List View.

Good Luck
    I’m really liking Fantastical as a replacement... it has a month view that is similar to the old Apple calendar month view... and the list view, too...

Global Posts
    11,444 Global Posts
    iOS Version

one can get a list view of calendar events via simply pulling down the notification center if they set up calendar to be in the notification center...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu (09-18-2013)
    rdubmu likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    one can get a list view of calendar events via simply pulling down the notification center if they set up calendar to be in the notification center...
    Mine shows Tomorrow "There are 2 all-day events scheduled"
    But it doesn't list the events & nothing appears for the following days.
    Guess I'll have to adjust or get a 3rd party app.
    Tks Keith

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I’m really liking Fantastical as a replacement... it has a month view that is similar to the old Apple calendar month view... and the list view, too...
    Tie Fausty, I'll check it out.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    Thanked by:
    AllanRosen (09-19-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Mine shows Tomorrow "There are 2 all-day events scheduled"
    But it doesn't list the events & nothing appears for the following days.
    Guess I'll have to adjust or get a 3rd party app.
    Tks Keith
    Wow, I can't believe they neutered it so bad.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts

This is sad, probably one of the best features of the calendar. Makes me rethink my switching back. At the same time, with the Apple ecosystem, I can probably find a great app to replace it
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

on month view, select the day, then the Search button next to the + sign. Boom you have your events for that day.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu (09-19-2013), TurboTiger (09-19-2013)
    rdubmu likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    You can also get something close to a list view in the iOS 7 calender simply by clicking on the magnifying glass icon within the calendar app. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn close.
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu (09-24-2013), TurboTiger (09-19-2013)
    rdubmu likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

When I click on a date in month view it separated and shows me events for that day. When I hit the month it goes back to full month view.

I'm trying to upland a photo but tapatalk is telling me to make a stupid ID and it's not accepting anything.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 5

I have been using a calendar program called Week Calendar It's not free, but worth the few dollars I paid. Besides the usual calendar views - month and day, it has a week's agenda view- 8 blocks of time (it doubles up on Sundays) and lists your appointments in each day with times making it easy to see the week ahead at a glance. There is a month view like iOS 6 that shows the month with the appointments below, but there is also a mini month view which shows the entire month with your appointments written in each box. There are 6 wasy to see your data. There are many more functions but I only use the most basic. I don't mind the stock calendar on my mini, but the phone app is lacking in my opinion.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Question - I see the next scheduled appointment listed in the pull down Notification Center, but not all appointments for today. Is there something I am missing?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by greystealth View Post
    on month view, select the day, then the Search button next to the + sign. Boom you have your events for that day.
    Wow! That worked.
    Tks gs
    Good Luck.

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    You can also get something close to a list view in the iOS 7 calender simply by clicking on the magnifying glass icon within the calendar app. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn close.
    Yes I got that greystealth's post above yours
    Works for me.
    Tks Fausty

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Cigar Lover
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast