Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jessicalt1
  • 1 Post By Peligro911
  • 1 Post By nitinparmar1985
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Problems restoring iOS 7 to iOS 6

Okay before I explain my issue, I would like to ask for you not to post criticizing comments about how I shouldn't have downloaded the iOS7 Beta. I agree, I shouldn't have, but what's done is done, and I can't go back (although I regret it). So here's my issue.

I have had a white iPhone 5 for almost a year now (September of 2012), with no problems. About a month ago (June 20th) I decided to illegally download the iOS7 beta off the internet (terrible idea) and install it on my device. Very soon, I found out that the beta was glitchy and at times unbearable. I downloaded the iOS 6.1.4 firmware off the internet, and tried restoring my iPhone to the backup I did RIGHT BEFORE I installed iOS7, with no luck. I could not restore my iphone (texts, contacts, photos, etc) from the backup, and was hit with this error message:
    Problems restoring iOS 7 to iOS 6-screen-shot-2013-06-18-5.15.09-pm.png

I can see that there ARE infact backups that are visible for the iOS6.1.4, however when I try to backup my phone on the iOS 6.1.4. to one of them, it tells me that it cannot be done as it is too old and not compatible with the software. The only thing I CAN do is reinstall the iOS7 firmware and backup to my most recent backup of the iOS7.

Now I understand this and it makes sense that you cannot back up your iOS7 data onto the iOS6.1.4, however I am okay with that if I can just backup to the most recent backup i did with iOS6.1.4 in June 20th (and I am okay if I lose whatever I did since having iOS7).

So I figured oh well, I'll tough it out and stick with crappy iOS7 until the REAL software comes out, however then I ran into an even bigger problem (fml right?).
    Last night I'm sitting around a bonfire and manage to drop my phone on the cement, shattering the front screen. Phone still works, just spiderwebbed all over.

So here's my actual question:

What do I do now?

1. I have a broken phone that I can't really take into Apple with the iOS7 installed (I'm assuming downloading it voided my warranty).
    2. I can re-install the ios 6.1.4 and go to Apple and they wont know the warranty is voided if I don't have iOS7 installed(?) and have them replace it. This however is risky, as I stated before that my phone wasn't allowing me to revert to an iOS6.1.4 backup.
    3. I have a friend who can fix screens for $200, which may be the best option as of now.
    4. I am looking into buying a Samsung Galaxy s4 perhaps, however would they be able to transfer ALL my stuff over?

In the end, ideally I would like to have a fixed iphone 5 screen running ios 6.1.4, with mostly all my contacts, photos, and texts on it.

Please, if there is ANYONE who has ANY suggestions on what I should do, please reply to this, or email me at

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default re: Problems restoring iOS 7 to iOS 6

Replace the screen... then go here How to downgrade iOS 7 beta back to iOS 6 | iMore.com -- and follow those directions to reinstall iOS6 - then restore from your last iOS6 back-up.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,787 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Replace the screen... then go here How to downgrade iOS 7 beta back to iOS 6 | iMore.com -- and follow those directions to reinstall iOS6 - then restore from your last iOS6 back-up.
    I actually have done this before, tried it about three times, all times it failed to bring back my photos and texts, however my contacts were all still there...any ideas?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    19,943 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bezbatchenko View Post
    I actually have done this before, tried it about three times, all times it failed to bring back my photos and texts, however my contacts were all still there...any ideas?
    Your contacts are probably on iCloud. Your Photo Stream photos are probably there as well.

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

NB. Taking a physically broken iPhone to Apple for a replacement is probably just fine.

An ordinary warranty doesn't cover breaks, so you're paying for a screen repair or a refurb unit anyway. ($150-229, depending which it is.)

If on the other hand you have AppleCare+ and are willing to burn one of your $49 replacement incidents, they shouldn't care what has happened to it, period -- you'll pay your $49 and get a "new" phone.

Update: Actually, may be wrong on this. Depends on the Apple Store.

If very cautious, then perhaps friend's screen replacement is best you can do.
    Last edited by tigerinexile; 07-08-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

well I would recommend putting the phone with pwn dfu (courtesy of redsnow) and restore the phone however you can't retrieve your backup because itunes will say 6.1.4 is too old so your kinda screwed with the backup until ios 7 is officially released.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Why don't you set it up as new, then upgrade your software, and reset, and restore a backup at that point?
    djjohnson and jerryjin like this.

Global Posts
    2,472 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    well I would recommend putting the phone with pwn dfu (courtesy of redsnow) and restore the phone however you can't retrieve your backup because itunes will say 6.1.4 is too old so your kinda screwed with the backup until ios 7 is officially released.
    Pwned DFU mode only applies to the iPhone 4 and older. A5+ devices don't have the limera1n exploit and thus cannot be put into Pwned DFU mode.

iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bezbatchenko View Post
    Okay before I explain my issue, I would like to ask for you not to post criticizing comments about how I shouldn't have downloaded the iOS7 Beta. I agree, I shouldn't have, but what's done is done, and I can't go back (although I regret it). So here's my issue.

I have had a white iPhone 5 for almost a year now (September of 2012), with no problems. About a month ago (June 20th) I decided to illegally download the iOS7 beta off the internet (terrible idea) and install it on my device. Very soon, I found out that the beta was glitchy and at times unbearable. I downloaded the iOS 6.1.4 firmware off the internet, and tried restoring my iPhone to the backup I did RIGHT BEFORE I installed iOS7, with no luck. I could not restore my iphone (texts, contacts, photos, etc) from the backup, and was hit with this error message:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 5.15.09 PM.png 
Views:	433 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	33884

I can see that there ARE infact backups that are visible for the iOS6.1.4, however when I try to backup my phone on the iOS 6.1.4. to one of them, it tells me that it cannot be done as it is too old and not compatible with the software. The only thing I CAN do is reinstall the iOS7 firmware and backup to my most recent backup of the iOS7.

Now I understand this and it makes sense that you cannot back up your iOS7 data onto the iOS6.1.4, however I am okay with that if I can just backup to the most recent backup i did with iOS6.1.4 in June 20th (and I am okay if I lose whatever I did since having iOS7).

So I figured oh well, I'll tough it out and stick with crappy iOS7 until the REAL software comes out, however then I ran into an even bigger problem (fml right?).
    Last night I'm sitting around a bonfire and manage to drop my phone on the cement, shattering the front screen. Phone still works, just spiderwebbed all over.

So here's my actual question:

What do I do now?

1. I have a broken phone that I can't really take into Apple with the iOS7 installed (I'm assuming downloading it voided my warranty).
    2. I can re-install the ios 6.1.4 and go to Apple and they wont know the warranty is voided if I don't have iOS7 installed(?) and have them replace it. This however is risky, as I stated before that my phone wasn't allowing me to revert to an iOS6.1.4 backup.
    3. I have a friend who can fix screens for $200, which may be the best option as of now.
    4. I am looking into buying a Samsung Galaxy s4 perhaps, however would they be able to transfer ALL my stuff over?

In the end, ideally I would like to have a fixed iphone 5 screen running ios 6.1.4, with mostly all my contacts, photos, and texts on it.

Please, if there is ANYONE who has ANY suggestions on what I should do, please reply to this, or email me at
    I would say option number 2 put iOS 6 back on take it to apple for repair or replacement .. If they repair try restoring it to your backup again or do it while at apple see of it comes back if not ask for more help maybe they will replace the phone to see of your info comes back to that one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I would also question where you downloaded the 6.1.4 Ipsw why not just go to recovery and let iTunes download 6.1.4 instead

jerryjin likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

This happened to me too, and when I couldn't backup to my most recent one because an iOS7 backup overwrote the 6.14 one I did the same day, I tried to backup to one from about three weeks before that and it restored nothing, so in the end I lost everything and had to get all my phone numbers from people again.

And the thing is, I backed up to iCloud loads of times and iTunes tried to say i've never backed up fml

To be honest, I sync my phone everyday with iTunes to put music on my phone and I think it should backup by default when you do this (is there an option for this?)
    iPhone Beginner

Are you doing this on windows or mac? (the reason i ask is becuase i know this works on windows)

you need to locate the folder where backups are stored, once you have done this look for the date of the folder that was just before you upgraded to iOS7.

relocate all the other backups to another loaction for now, this will force itunes to back up the "newest" (which is actually the older version) backup to your phone.

quick goole search will show you where the files are loacted, as i say i have done this on windows and i know it works.

good luck
    jerryjin likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: Problems restoring iOS 7 to iOS 6

I had a similar problem like this one, however I took my iOS 6 backup I had on iTunes and I saved it on my desktop.
    When I had to go back to iOS 6 because my iOS 7 broke I put it in recovery mode, restored it as a new phone and after that I restored the phone from a back up.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel John1 View Post
    This happened to me too, and when I couldn't backup to my most recent one because an iOS7 backup overwrote the 6.14 one I did the same day, I tried to backup to one from about three weeks before that and it restored nothing, so in the end I lost everything and had to get all my phone numbers from people again.

And the thing is, I backed up to iCloud loads of times and iTunes tried to say i've never backed up fml

To be honest, I sync my phone everyday with iTunes to put music on my phone and I think it should backup by default when you do this (is there an option for this?)
    Did you ha e iCloud contacts on ? If you did a back up or not your contacts should be ok .. The backup restores data pics etc .. Contacts are synced

Global Posts
    15,678 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

When I have been downgrading. I setup as new. Then Reset all settings and content. Then load up the a icloud back up from 6.1.4. Works for me......
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Newbie

Well for your screen problem I would go to an apple store with 6.1.4 and have them replace it for 150.
    For the backup problem run your original backup with all your contacts, etc... Use iCloud to sync all your information. Not an iCloud backup just turn all the switches on then downgrade the phone. Use the same iCloud account and all the information from the switches will come back.

Your apps, photos, and music are going need to be imported with iTunes and synced then put back on. Hope this helps.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts

Put pone into dfu mode. Restore through iTunes back to 6.1. Set up as new phone if you can see screen if not leave as is and return phone. After repair or replacement worry about restoring from backup.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts

That was the exact same problem I had when I downgraded back to ios6 and lost everything on my phone so I had to restart and add everything all over.. Which sucks.. But now I am gonna be waiting till official release of the iOS 7
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

@pearlyrob This was what I was thinking. Restore as new, get replacement, restore replacement from backup...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts

Seems like the most logical and simple way. At least I'm not alone in this thought! Lol.