Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default iOS 7 icons - Your opinions?

In a couple threads people who don't like the native iOS 7 icons mostly don't like the same set of icons. I know there are some great image creators here so lets have a little fun. If you were the designer post up your icons and talk about why you would have done it the way you did. I'm doing the same so I'll post mine for sure once I'm all done just want to see what other people would do if it was their choice. This is just for fun so lets stay away from the "Apple would never do that" or any comments on the icons themselves. It's not like we're seriously thinking Apple is going to use them we're just having a little creative fun.

iOS 7 icons - Your opinions?-ios-7-icons.png
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)

Global Posts
    14,613 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1

Default Re: iOS 7 icon your take

Good thread and question Ricky.... I am not going to attempt with my limited graphics knowledge or the iOS 7 ZBeta itself but i will say just by looking at these and some others they have gone from IMO a 3D great look to a plain flat look with no appeal to me especially the Settings app.
    ~JAG~
    Ambassador @ iMore

​In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Ipheuria and revtech like this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    Good thread and question Ricky.... I am not going to attempt with my limited graphics knowledge or the iOS 7 ZBeta itself but i will say just by looking at these and some others they have gone from IMO a 3D great look to a plain flat look with no appeal to me especially the Settings app.
    exactly IMO very true. I'm working on my own and thought it would be fun to see what other people could come up with too.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

The entire Icon look is causing me severe pain. I've been so upset that I was actually thinking of taking my iphone 5 back and exchanging it for an Android phone because those icons will make the iphone a laughing stock for the android community. I'm praying that those icons are just beta icons and the actual icons will be 100% better. I don't want an iphone with icons that look like they should be in a fairy tale book with princesses and frogs dancing around lily pads. Seriously......Apple...this is your flat design look on a phone so beautiful that competitors are trying to out due with bigger screens and boom speakers? How could you do this to a work of art such as the Iphone 5? I need answers because I only have a few more days until I can no longer return this phone to exchange it for a phone that is made by designers that would never turn their flagship device into a childish fantasy novelty item.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I hate to say it but I completely agree with you. The layout and inner working of ios 7 is great but the colors and icons they chose look down right childish. I've been with apple and iPhones since the 3G and I wish I wouldn't have wasted my upgrade on my i5. Unlike me you still have time to switch yours out. I'd go for the galaxy S4 or HTC one if I were you.
    redbeard and stoneland like this.
    iPhone Beginner

not a fan, i was hoping for a more professional look......
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was also very vocal about the icons but they don't bother me that much anymore. They look a whole lot better when actually using iOS 7 as they blend in with other elements of the UI especially wallpapers. Don't judge them based on screen shots.

I'm actually enjoying the crap out if iOS 7.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (07-03-2013)
    dannejanne and hdtracy like this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,548 Global Posts

You guys do realize that the only purpose an icon serves is to tap on it to open an app. They're not there for you to admire. I guess I'm underestimating all those who sit and stare at their homescreens for long periods of time. Heck, my background is all black. If I wanted to see a picture, I'd open an app.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I love the feedback in the thread but where are some concepts? come on fire up Photoshop or whatever image editor you use and get creative.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iOS 7 icons - Your opinions?

I don't know - I guess I'm in the minority - but I really like the iOS 7 icons... Maybe because I've had iPhones since day 1 in 2007 and pretty much was ready for something new and different... But I find the new look refreshing and actually don't mind the color palette. Different and refreshing and that's good for me. Everyone wanted a new and different look to iOS... Well they got their wish
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I guess the name of the thread is a little misleading but anyway I've been playing with the icons so here is my idea.

iOS 7 icons - Your opinions?-icons1.jpg

The native icons use a color grouping for the type of apps they represent.
    Green - Messaging
    Black - Information

So I just used a different color for a different group and for me the icons look much better. The green is used for messaging to make it stand out but black with white also stands out although maybe red or blue would be a better choice. There are a couple of problems with switching to black which I just realized. The green that is used on the messaging apps is represented by the green bar at the top when you move away from the phone options(dialer, speaker, etc) so having black on the black taskbar wont work. So perhaps blue is a better choice since the blue bubbles in iMessage would match up and having the bright blue on the top would be nicer. So maybe I will redo the icons in blue instead of black but it just goes to show that using a different color other than the ugly green would change the icons so much. I also took the gears from the old settings icon and sort of edited them to be a little more flat but I like this way better than the stock iOS icon and it just goes to show you that moving away from one look doesn't mean you throw everything away. I'm by no means a designer so the images are rough but it does give a little look at what can be changed to make them a little more pleasing but then again that's just my take.

iOS 7 icons - Your opinions?-ios-7-icons-edited1.jpg
    TurboTiger likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Nice work iPheuria.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.2
    Former Storm2 & Palm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Thanked by:
    Ipheuria (06-27-2013)
    Ipheuria likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

I am so Disappointed in the way iOS 7 looks. I posted before, but probably in the wrong thread. Quite frankly, I Hate the way iOS 7 beta looks now. The feel, well, could get used to it if it wasn't too buggy, but the look!? c'mon apple, what is it: windows 8 & android mix? Ugly.. stick to being apple. Since this is in the icon thread, Icons are Ugly and Cheap looking! If we wanted win8 or android, we'd use them... Please don't keep the interface the same! Cook's would be ashamed
    redbeard and Grabber5.0 like this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Nice work iPheuria.

Good Luck
    Thanks I redid the messaging icons in blue which meant the other icons I did in green went back to using black. I submitted it to Apple as feedback lol don't think anything will change but hey the sun shine's on a dog's rump sometimes right.
    iMore Nanite

While I really like the new features, I thoroughly dislike the new icons. It's been said that the icons are only a path to the content but to me when I look for the icons or controls within an app at that point in time those icons or control buttons are the content. The current icons in iOS 6 had detail like they were made with pride to be part of the experience. The new ones lack that effect. They honestly look childish. Is this supposed to be the " look that will endure with time?" In my opinion they really need work. Also I've heard features like book pages turning have been removed, yet they add lighting and snow in the weather app. That's not being consistent. I like those types of features and hope they are present in he final version. Also need more contrast in Control Center and Notifications. Some of the controls are difficult to find quickly.
    stoneland likes this.

Global Posts
    17,445 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I like the icons associated with iOS 7 and I can't wait to enjoy the iOS 7 experience this coming fall.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (07-02-2013)
    qbnkelt and JoyfulHeart35 like this.
    iPhone Nanite

I, too, am probably in the minority. I actually like MOST of them. I dislike the ones with the white backgrounds, such as Game Centre and Photos applications. One thing that I also don't like is that everything is white. Game Centre looks so terrible now with those colourful balloon things. Honestly, it seems like that out more effort into iOS 6 than iOS 7. Another one is the notepad... Seriously, it doesn't even look like one anymore, just a blank piece of paper, but I don't really mind since I don't use it that much anymore.

But back on to the icons, I like them.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I thought the icon talk would have died down by now. I wasn't very fond of them in the beginning but I really don't notice them anymore.

Global Posts
    14,991 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Ya it's different.. But we adapt and over come
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

pr1nce likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    16,080 Global Posts

Actually I LOVE the look and colours of iOS7. That's the reason I'm so impatient right now.
    gorob and John Yester like this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

The entire iOS 7 is soo much better now! From icons, folder limitless icons, multiple windows(cards), it's all a great step! Plus being an ol' webOS user this is a much anticipated move!
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

At first I was like Eek!! But now I'm I could deal with it with no problem I'm super excited! for all the improvements that ios7 has
    iMore Expert

agree we have to look at ios7 as a whole, not judging over screenshots only, I personally like them, I dont have a problem with colorful icons, but I totally understand why some people hate them..

Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I didn't care for them at first. But I'll get used to them.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You guys do realize that the only purpose an icon serves is to tap on it to open an app. They're not there for you to admire. I guess I'm underestimating all those who sit and stare at their homescreens for long periods of time. Heck, my background is all black. If I wanted to see a picture, I'd open an app.
    I understand your point, and agree with you that we shouldn't make mountains out of molehills, but the way ios works one is always going back to the home screen; its what you see when you turn it on, its what you see everytime you hit the home button, its what you see when you go into fast app switcher . . its a very prominent feature and often in front of the user. I agree with John Yester, I'm sure we will adapt and overcome, but personally I don't care for the look at all (and I'm glad to hear from those using the beta that it looks better in the context of daily use than out of context screen shots).
    Thanked by:
    redbeard (07-03-2013)
    redbeard and stoneland like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast