Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By taz323
  • 2 Post By Massie
  • 1 Post By lukeforester1
  • 1 Post By Massie
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default iOS 7 icon design

Rene put up a really great read yesterday iOS 7 and a second coat of paint | iMore.com and in it was a link to Neven Mrgn's tumblr “Wrong” - Neven Mrgan's tumbl talking about the icon design. What I found interesting was that while Neven says that Ive's icon grid is wrong from a designer's standpoint. The large majority of customers of iOS devices are not designers. I'm not a designer and looking at the icons in the post I actually prefer the one created using the grid. When I look at the two side by side I just like that one better the overall look of it. So I think that it is an opinion, some will love it and some will hate it.

iOS 7 icon design-tumblr_inline_molza0kvzd1qz4rgp.png
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)

Default Re: iOS 7 icon design

I think they both look good, but the one made with grid seems to stand out more. I really do like how fresh they look.
    Ipheuria and iSeans like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I agree with the designers—to my eyes there isn't enough "breathing room" between the circle and the icon edge in the new design. And it's not just a question of using a grid system; as seen here a different grid gives a much more familiar (and to my eyes more balanced) result:

iOS 7 icon design-image.jpg
    TurboTiger and redbeard like this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    I agree with the designers—to my eyes there isn't enough "breathing room" between the circle and the icon edge in the new design. And it's not just a question of using a grid system; as seen here a different grid gives a much more familiar (and to my eyes more balanced) result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	32780
    I'm with you Massie.

Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad Air Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Yosemite 10.10
    Cigar Lover
    iMore Newbie

In the example given with the safari icon, I prefer the current icon to the smaller one, I feel like there is a lot of wasted white space as it is, I don't see the point if making the content of the icon smaller. :/ just my $.02
    Ipheuria likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's definitely an issue of personal preference--to me that white space isn't "wasted," it's being used to balance the color used elsewhere in the icon. (To compare, I wonder if the smaller icon in the first post feels like "wasted blue space" to users?)

At any rate, I don't recall there ever being such a vocal public backlash against an iOS release (at least from a design standpoint). It will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes before the final release.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    iMore Beginner

As a designer myself, some icons just need some better negative space. Like you said earlier massie there is no breathing room and to me just hurts the eyes. Making the icons smaller should open up some negative space and make it easier on the eyes and more appealing.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Well, for one, I am just glad maps no longer shows you driving off the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I agree with Massie it is a very personal thing and it should be really interesting to see how the main stream consumer reacts to it. I just find that it's funny the grid system would be "wrong" but it creates icons that would be preferred by some. So is it really wrong or just wrong to a certain set of people?
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Newbie

Well IK I'm only one person, but I am a consumer opinion, not a dev. I don't design much of anything except a basic website for my moms business. I don't think about design the same way someone who's been through design school does. My first reaction to, for example, the safari icon was "why doesn't the blue circle go right up to the edges on the icon, leaving only a tiny amount of white space in the corners?"
    Make of that reaction what you will. As of now I'm pretty happy with the icons. Honestly, once everyone upgrades they'll all forget about it in two weeks, once they get used to it they won't even notice the icons anymore. It's only been one week for me and I hardly even notice them.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	32780
    The Ives icon is much better than the other one.