Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 3 Post By Agpe17
  • 1 Post By Agpe17
  • 1 Post By John Yester
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Agpe17's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

    Default Switched back to 6.1.4

    So I just wanted to share my experience with iOS 7 with you guys...

    Got it last week, initially, absolutely loved it. The flow, the practicality of it, the look. I liked it a LOT. Over the course of using it for a few days, the little beta 1 bugs and (moreso) UI began to actually make me MISS iOS 6 more. It's actually less about the bugs, more about the general daily use of iOS 7 for me. The menus I initially loved began getting too white for me. The entire OS is so BRIGHT and light -- and again, initially, I thought it was a GREAT change and I'd like it a LOT. iMessage and SMS -- everything is so bright. I found myself missing the grey, subtle iOS 6 keyboard and the non-SUV background of text messages.

    The BIGGEST deterrent was the battery life. I'd be down to 50% in 4 hours, with BARELY any use, location and wifi off, and brightness pretty damn low. Even with a MOPHIE, I'd have to charge it back up fully with it, and then charge it overnight AGAIN. It's something I knew might happen, but I didn't know how severe it was. Until a beta comes out with a solid battery life post, I'm staying here I think.

    Now granted, these ideas are ALL of my own! So please, don't hate! But i just restored back to 6.1.4, and I feel surprisingly at home (no pun intended).

    So I'm back to iOS 6 until beta 2 drops, may pick that up.

    Anyone else switch back?
  2. #2  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    3,461 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,978 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    They are not ideas, they are issues with Beta OS. Almost 98% of those on it, are having the same issues, if not worse...

    Things will improve later on.

    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


  3. #3  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,954 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,956 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    I think you kind of missed the point of this whole experience...especially since you're not a developer and had no real business loading it to your phone outside of pure curiosity. And even in the case of curiosity, you have to expect everything you described and then some, using this version of iOS is almost a job, not something you do because you want the newest features on the phone, they put it out there so they can get feedback on what works, what doesn't and what needs to be changed/adjusted/improved so that the final version is as polished as we've come to expect from Apple.

    You just downloaded it so you could have iOS 7 on your phone, which did no good for you or anyone, and defeated the purpose of the beta. This is becoming a problem year by year with these things.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    mayconvert (06-19-2013)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Agpe17's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I think you kind of missed the point of this whole experience...especially since you're not a developer and had no real business loading it to your phone outside of pure curiosity. And even in the case of curiosity, you have to expect everything you described and then some, using this version of iOS is almost a job, not something you do because you want the newest features on the phone, they put it out there so they can get feedback on what works, what doesn't and what needs to be changed/adjusted/improved so that the final version is as polished as we've come to expect from Apple.

    You just downloaded it so you could have iOS 7 on your phone, which did no good for you or anyone, and defeated the purpose of the beta. This is becoming a problem year by year with these things.
    First off, relax. Yes, I did download iOS 7 without being a developer. As did MILLIONS of others -- and, sorry to burst your bubble, but it will continue to grow by the year and OS. And you, like many of the other hard-headed people on this forum ripping on "non-devs," will continue the tradition, I'm sure. PEOPLE WILL DOWNLOAD IT WITHOUT BEING A DEVELOPER -- deal with it and stop trying to change the movement. Developers are not the only people who can get a beta of any OS out. Because the people who AREN'T developers (you know, the ones who use it every day, the consumer) also need to provide feedback. Get off your high horse.

    Second, I knew there would be bugs and things left to be corrected with future betas. I understand the beta concept completely - I'm not a tech noobie who has no idea what they're doing. My only issue was battery life, thus my reason for restoring back to a previous OS. My entire reason for this post was just to put my ideas out there on my logic for switching back, and to see if anyone shared them. Not to engage in a "DEVELOPERS ONLY -- YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS USING THIS" type of ignorant argument.

    While I respect your opinion completely, I don't respect your ignorance. What does it matter if I'm not an "OFFICIAL DEVELOPER" -- feedback was still given to Apple, thus, bettering future releases.
    Thanked by:
    Daniel Smith4 (06-17-2013), Plastilina_Ve (06-17-2013)
    Plastilina_Ve, mab4285 and TLO201 like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Agpe17's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    They are not ideas, they are issues with Beta OS. Almost 98% of those on it, are having the same issues, if not worse...

    Things will improve later on.

    Absolutely man. Hoping to see the beta 2 release soon! Looking forward to seeing where iOS 7 is going -- it really is a beautiful upgrade.
    John Yester likes this.
  6. #6  
    Duvi's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,935 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Or wait for the official release. I only say this because you void your warranty with Apple. So if you ever need them to check something out, they will deny you.


    Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
  7. #7  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    3,461 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,978 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Duvi!!! Hey buddy!!

    ​Yes just DFU and restore back to 6.1.4 and you will be all good
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


    Duvi likes this.
  8. #8  
    domiag's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Agpe17: Couldn't agree more! Liked it initially but switched back to 6.1.4. Didn't really agree with the new look...
  9. #9  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,954 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,956 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Agpe17 View Post
    First off, relax. Yes, I did download iOS 7 without being a developer. As did MILLIONS of others -- and, sorry to burst your bubble, but it will continue to grow by the year and OS. And you, like many of the other hard-headed people on this forum ripping on "non-devs," will continue the tradition, I'm sure. PEOPLE WILL DOWNLOAD IT WITHOUT BEING A DEVELOPER -- deal with it and stop trying to change the movement. Developers are not the only people who can get a beta of any OS out. Because the people who AREN'T developers (you know, the ones who use it every day, the consumer) also need to provide feedback. Get off your high horse.

    Second, I knew there would be bugs and things left to be corrected with future betas. I understand the beta concept completely - I'm not a tech noobie who has no idea what they're doing. My only issue was battery life, thus my reason for restoring back to a previous OS. My entire reason for this post was just to put my ideas out there on my logic for switching back, and to see if anyone shared them. Not to engage in a "DEVELOPERS ONLY -- YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS USING THIS" type of ignorant argument.

    While I respect your opinion completely, I don't respect your ignorance. What does it matter if I'm not an "OFFICIAL DEVELOPER" -- feedback was still given to Apple, thus, bettering future releases.
    You don't respect my ignorance? lol...aww, did i strike a nerve with you bud?

    Where did i say anything about the program being only for developers? I said that you had no business putting it on YOUR phone and that you were not a developer, in fact, before i posted it, i went and read the other thread you started clamoring on about your envy FOR developers because they had iOS 7 and you wanted it. So what do you do? You ask how you can become a developer and asked if some people did it just to have early use of new features. People download iOS 7 all the time who arnt developers, this is as true as anything can get, but in that, the ones that partake in such things properly are doing so for the betterment of the system, they continue on with it and put the work in, they document their findings and they report back...they don't stop a few days later realizing how they only wanted the new features and nothing more and end up reverting back anyways.

    There are many people like you, the ones that simply wanted the new features, maybe even to show it off to friends, maybe just to simply say "I already have it!" I mean, you pretty much spelled it out in black and white EXACTLY what i was talking about above...you simply wanted early access to the new features. If there's anything "ignorant" in this thread, it's the fact that you're trying to argue a point that is false, because your own words create the reality I retorted to you above, not mine, i simply made the comment.

    So before you throw anymore temper tantrums because someone shoved your own truths in your face, and before you tell someone to "relax" and call them "ignorant", go back and read your thread you posted before and understand that I was in no way on a high horse, hell...i don't have iOS 7 on my iPhone because i have no desire to go through the paces of properly evaluating a beta software update...I'm not trying to change a movement, I was simply pointing out your mistake, you loaded iOS 7 on your phone for the wrong reason, it turned out to be the wrong move for you, and thus, you went back to iOS 6. This isn't rocket science kiddo, it is what it is.

    And in the future sweetheart, typing everything in caps just looks silly. I know you were trying to portray some kind of passion and "threatening" nature, but you just look desperate. And if you're trying to tell me that you paid your yearly developer dues to have iOS 7, you're simply full of sh*t...and because of such, you gave no legitimate feedback to Apple at all, so please stop with the high and mighty plight of Agpe17, lol, it's become humorous.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  10. #10  
    Duvi's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,935 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Keep calm and relax folks!

    Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
  11. #11  
    Duvi's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,935 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    Duvi!!! Hey buddy!!

    ​Yes just DFU and restore back to 6.1.4 and you will be all good
    What's up buddy? Long time no see. Never thought I'd ever see you on the iOS side. I saw Android before iOS.

    Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
  12. #12  
    John Yester's Avatar

    Posts
    3,461 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,978 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Yup doing well.

    Hit me up via PM soon
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com


  13. #13  
    Daniel Smith4's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    90 Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    I had a similar experience, though I can't say the love of the design started to fade for me, I think the new design/layout and colours are amazing! I downgraded again because after several days of using IOS7, the small bugs that I could initially overlook began to grow more inconvenient, the battery life, despite tweaking the settings etc.. continued to be quite poor, despite standby life for some reason being utterly amazing.

    It is Beta 1 though, so you'd expect all of this. Being back on IOS6 again, whilst familiar, suddenly feels restricting. As someone who likes to change the screen brightness several times away, having to go into the settings app each and every time is suddenly far more tiring than it was before IOS 7!
  14. #14  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    this is exactly why people leave iOS to go to android and then back to iOS

    the overall flow and workability are unmatchable
  15. #15  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    My battery life sucks.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
  16. #16  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    My battery life sucks.
    ... on 6.1.4?
  17. #17  
    fubaracing7374's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    I just did the same thing last night. Back to iOS 6.1.4. Loved iOS 7 and can't wait for beta 2 or 3. Battery life just needs to be a little more stable but I love where Apple is going.
  18. #18  
    zigg8272's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    and this is why NON-Devs get a bad rep, You installed something that doesn't belong on your phone, we pay to use the beta features Leagally! so we can adapt our apps to the new OS, then some dumb punk say gee i sure hope beta 2 comes out soon. All devs that have been around a while know that Betas come out about once a month give or take a week or two. it's just dumb to say somehting like i sure hope beta 2 comes out soon. So what your a damn consumer. I personaly hope apple comes out with something the next few years that will completly lock your device if they find out who all the Non-Devs are.
  19. #19  
    mynameis's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switched back to 6.1.4

    I will not be trying the beta. Am I super excited for iOS 7? Hell yes. But I am going to be waiting for the public release in the fall. I have patience.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
  3. Anyone switch back to Android?
    By durangojim in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
  4. Buyers Remorse? Switching back to 3GS
    By jexner325 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 10:28 PM
  5. Anyone thinking about switching back to their old phone?
    By NMprofessional in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM

Posting Permissions

B