iOS 7 and the Rejection Of The Unfamiliar

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iMore Blog has a short and interesting article with the above title. Having read it, I'm not sure I'm in agreement. I mean, I agree that some will be uncomfortable with the new design but from what I'm gathering here throughout the forums, the dislike is not from unfamiliarity but from the aesthetics. People have mentioned "child-like" design and colors to weird-looking icons. But then again, the people that frequent the forums are mainly techies and not necessarily Apple's core users. What say you? You can read Ren?'s article via the link below:

http://tipb.com.feedsportal.com/c/3...os0E70Eand0Erejection0Eunfamiliar/story01.htm

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The 'dislike' I see around here is of unfamiliar aesthetics... and something tells me some of the same people doing the itch-baying about how much change there is would be just as vocal if everything was too much like iOS6... haters gotta hate.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The 'dislike' I see around here is of unfamiliar aesthetics... and something tells me some of the same people doing the itch-baying about how much change there is would be just as vocal if everything was too much like iOS6... haters gotta hate.

Bingo!

A lot of the "dislike" is being voiced by some who, for years have complained that iOS has become stale, and needs a major redesign/overhaul. So Apple gives it to us, and now it?s childish, and "My Little Pony-ish". With that said, though, Apple has given us a new, fresher look, and added most of the features that have been requested through the years. Clearly, though, in some cases, familiarity has bred contempt. Therefore, the only option is to bring a new, unfamiliar face to what iOS is.

There are also a lot of users of other platforms being drawn here to bash Apple in favor of their personal platform of choice and accusing Apple of simply copying feature A, B & C from this OS, and features D, E & F from that one.

To D's point, if it?s simply a matter of unfamiliarity, that will change as we become more familiar with the new look and feel. As self-professed techies and junkies, we definitely view this new version of iOS through a much different lens than will the general population.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Bingo!

A lot of the "dislike" is being voiced by some who, for years have complained that iOS has become stale, and needs a major redesign/overhaul. So Apple gives it to us, and now it?s childish, and "My Little Pony-ish". With that said, though, Apple has given us a new, fresher look, and added most of the features that have been requested through the years. Clearly, though, in some cases, familiarity has bred contempt. Therefore, the only option is to bring a new, unfamiliar face to what iOS is.

There are also a lot of users of other platforms being drawn here to bash Apple in favor of their personal platform of choice and accusing Apple of simply copying feature A, B & C from this OS, and features D, E & F from that one.

To D's point, if it?s simply a matter of unfamiliarity, that will change as we become more familiar with the new look and feel. As self-professed techies and junkies, we definitely view this new version of iOS through a much different lens than will the general population.

Outstanding! 😄

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Key takeawy from that article: Familiarity bias and loss aversion.

I agree, but many of the same people who are now griping were previously & vehemently arguing that Apple needed to do something different. They complained how iOS had not changed since 2007, etcetera. Well, you've read the complaints and know what I'm saying...:)

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but many of the same people who are now griping were previously & vehemently arguing that Apple needed to do something different. They complained how iOS had not changed since 2007, etcetera. Well, you've read the complaints and know what I'm saying...:)

While this is largely true, I think people have a valid complaint with regard to the icons in iOS 7. Flat icons are one thing but ugly flat icons are another thing entirely. It lacks the usual Apple panache and is reminiscent of something from a 70's comic book. I sincerely hope they rethink the direction they've taken there. I kind of like what they did with the WWDC app icon... Light gradient, colourful, no gloss... Just gorgeous, instead of the overly bright remix of pastel and fluorescence in the iOS 7 system apps.

The other aspects of iOS 7 are brilliant and well thought out though and worth the update alone.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While this is largely true, I think people have a valid complaint with regard to the icons in iOS 7.
I don't have a problem with that because it is a given that some people will like them and some won't.
Flat icons are one thing but ugly flat icons are another thing entirely.
That is subjective. You cannot assume that we all consider the icons ugly because all of us do not.
It lacks the usual Apple panache and is reminiscent of something from a 70's comic book.
That description is from "your" perspective. From "my" perspective, the flat icons are refreshing, simple and a welcome addition to the Apple iOS. See the contrast?
I sincerely hope they rethink the direction they've taken there.
Why? An argument can be made that Apple was pushed/forced/pressured into going in the direction they've taken.
I kind of like what they did with the WWDC app icon... Light gradient, colourful, no gloss... Just gorgeous, instead of the overly bright remix of pastel and fluorescence in the iOS 7 system apps.
No problem

The other aspects of iOS 7 are brilliant and well thought out though and worth the update alone.
I can't wait for it to be released to the general public this fall and am eagerly awaiting the chance to install it when it's finished. Anyway, great post. Take care. ;)

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a problem with that because it is a given that some people will like them and some won't. That is subjective. You cannot assume that we all consider the icons ugly because all of us do not. That description is from "your" perspective. From "my" perspective, the flat icons are refreshing, simple and a welcome addition to the Apple iOS. See the contrast? Why? An argument can be made that Apple was pushed/forced/pressured into going in the direction they've taken. No problem

I can't wait for it to be released to the general public this fall and am eagerly awaiting the chance to install it when it's finished. Anyway, great post. Take care. ;)

All good D.

Although it is my personal opinion that the icons look terrible I just can't see the vast majority being happy with them as they are. I think the mere fact that they're so much of a talking point already speaks volumes.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All good D.

Although it is my personal opinion that the icons look terrible I just can't see the vast majority being happy with them as they are. I think the mere fact that they're so much of a talking point already speaks volumes.

You could very well be right in regard to the vast majority, but there is no way to tell right now. As for the talking points, that is expected. I'm sure the tech bloggers and general tech media will milk news in regard to iOS 7 as long as they can, and what better way to do that than by hyping the new OS and then writing reports to contrast it. I still believe the overall general public still have not really paid close enough attention to what it looks like or even care. When Apple officially introduces the next iPhone and we start seeing commercials about it and iOS 7, that is when we'll get a true gauge, in my opinion.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
You could very well be right in regard to the vast majority, but there is no way to tell right now. As for the talking points, that is expected. I'm sure the tech bloggers and general tech media will milk news in regard to iOS 7 as long as they can and what better way to do that by hyping the new OS and then writing reports to contrast it. I still believe the overall general public still have not really paid close enough attention to what it looks like or even care. When Apple officially introduces the next iPhone and we start seeing commercials about it and iOS 7, that is when we'll get a true gauge, in my opinion.

Fair enough.

Honestly, though, the icons shouldn't deter from what is a massive leap in iOS 7.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My first reaction to the UI was with a raised eyebrow but honestly who sits and stares at their icons long enough to even care? More than likely someone who is looking for something to be wrong, just like they do in other areas of their life

At the end of the day battery performance and stability are my main concern and it looks like we're heading that direction..

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm so glad we have a select few here who can tell us why we like or dislike iOS 7.

That being said, all are entitled to their opinions, and yes, whether you like or dislike the new aesthetics of iOS 7 is highly subjective. However, neither side is right or wrong. If iOS 7 does or doesn't look good to you, it doesn't mean you are a fanboy or a hater.

Personally, I do like the overall look and feel of iOS 7, but I also think some of the icons could use some work. Since the OS is still in beta and things could still change, I'll reserve final judgement until its officially released.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The past few articles seem like they are trying to defend apple because they have changed just to change. I like what they are doing with IOS7 but I can see why many dislike it and how it appears in many cases to be haphazardly put together quickly( and yes I know it is only beta 1 and will be better come launch)

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The past few articles seem like they are trying to defend apple because they have changed just to change. I like what they are doing with IOS7 but I can see why many dislike it and how it appears in many cases to be haphazardly put together quickly( and yes I know it is only beta 1 and will be better come launch)

I agree. I like most changes as long as they don't take away functionality or my ability to do what I was used to doing before. Unless I missed something, there does not seem to be a reduction in function/capability. While I would like to see some other options brought to us, the added features already listed are enough to make me look forward to iOS 7.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I welcome change and new things, what I don't welcome is when that change is for the worse, and it's **** ugly. But thanks for the armchair psychology..:)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I welcome change and new things, what I don't welcome is when that change is for the worse, and it's **** ugly. But thanks for the armchair psychology..:)
You've made you point... you dislike iOS7... what are you going to do about it? Continue to make your point ad nauseum? Beyond??

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
You've made you point... you dislike iOS7... what are you going to do about it? Continue to make your point ad nauseum? Beyond??

Yes, we are discussing iOS 7 here..

The people who like it are constantly gushing about it, what are they going to do? Continue to make their points ad nauseum?

Goes both ways..

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, I love the whole look to include the icons. The next phone is one that is MINE and that I won't skip at all. The new UI, to include the new icons, is gorgeous and I CANNOT wait.

Really, I am counting days and saving money. I want my next iPhone unlocked, so it will be 749 outright.

I suppose I'll gush ad nauseum all summer as to how much I like it and how much I want it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods