FIX - iOS 7 Developer Build beta 1 - iMessage and FaceTime issues - RESOLVED!

James Barnard

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello world,

After upgrading to iOS 7 on any of the iDevices, some users experienced loss of Push capability.
It reflected mostly in users trying to use iMessage and FaceTime and in return, receiving an annoying popup message that reads: "Connect to iTunes to Use Push Notifications"

The sad truth is that all Push capability is lost. No Exchange push, no WhatsApp push, no Game Center push (I wonder if that bothers anyone...)

So here I offer the solution to you world. Enjoy and remember that the tool was provided by the great developers of RedSn0w.

IMPORTANT: Do not do the steps below if your iDevice's UDID is not registered with Apple iOS Developer Program.

Instructions:
  1. Download RedSn0w from the following links:
    Mac OSx: Click here
    Windows: Click here
  2. Connect your iDevice to the computer with the USB cable
  3. Open RedSn0w
  4. Click on "Extras"
  5. Click on "Even More"
  6. Click on "Deactivate"
  7. Now your iDevice is deactivated and should show an activation screen
  8. Open iTunes on your computer
  9. iTunes should detect that the iDevice is connected and try to activate it
  10. If all is good and apple sends the activation tickets, your iDevice goes back to normal, only this time - with Push Capability.

Enjoy!
:cool:

IMPORTANT: Do not do the steps above if your iDevice's UDID is not registered with Apple iOS Developer Program.

Thanks a million. Have been killing myself for a fix for the last few days. IOS7 worked fine om my old iPhone 5 and when upgraded the other day all hell broke loose. Thanks once again also to the RedSn0w team

hdtracy

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I appear to be somewhere in the minority, as we did pay the $99 for the hubby and I to get the new beta, but neither of us fully knows what we're doing either, and wouldn't classify ourselves as "developers". Mostly out of the curiosity and impatience won out. I don't feel as though I don't deserve to be using iOS 7, as I have rightfully paid for it - but at the same time, like knowing that there are places like these forums that would hopefully be willing to offer some help were I to get stuck along the way somewhere.

Jerry Mosley

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: FIX - iOS 7 beta 1 - iMessage and FaceTime issues - RESOLVED!

It's ok. All you have to do is downgrade to iOS 6, activate the iPhone. And then upgrade the iOS 7.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I appear to be somewhere in the minority, as we did pay the $99 for the hubby and I to get the new beta, but neither of us fully knows what we're doing either, and wouldn't classify ourselves as "developers". Mostly out of the curiosity and impatience won out. I don't feel as though I don't deserve to be using iOS 7, as I have rightfully paid for it - but at the same time, like knowing that there are places like these forums that would hopefully be willing to offer some help were I to get stuck along the way somewhere.

For us, this is a catch-22. We are indeed here to assist you, but that assistance may come in the form of a warning. For instance, "do not install beta software on your device unless you are fully aware of the risks AND understand that if something goes horribly wrong, you are responsible." Furthermore, some members have the notion that we are "obligated" to help, and that is so untrue. We're merely volunteers who enjoy helping "when we can". What often happens is that someone messes something up on their device, freaks out because they now think that the device is now a brick, logs on, post a question and then post another one 60 seconds later because they've become both impatient and scared. Then they will post a message similar to, "What kind of place is this? No one wants to help? WTH!" or "I NEED HELP NOW!". They forget that we are volunteers and fail to rationalize that we may not be logged on at the time of their dilemma. That is when the reality of the ignored warnings set in. Yes, we are here to help, but there are reasons we sometimes can't, and if you truly understand that then, hey, do what you want with your device.

hdtracy

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
For us, this is a catch-22. We are indeed here to assist you, but that assistance may come in the form of a warning. For instance, "do not install beta software on your device unless you are fully aware of the risks AND understand that if something goes horribly wrong, you are responsible." Furthermore, some members have the notion that we are "obligated" to help, and that is so untrue. We're merely volunteers who enjoy helping "when we can". What often happens is that someone messes something up on their device, freaks out because they now think that the device is now a brick, logs on, post a question and then post another one 60 seconds later because they've become both impatient and scared. Then they will post a message similar to, "What kind of place is this? No one wants to help? WTH!" or "I NEED HELP NOW!". They forget that we are volunteers and fail to rationalize that we may not be logged on at the time of their dilemma. That is when the reality of the ignored warnings set in. Yes, we are here to help, but there are reasons we sometimes can't, and if you truly understand that then, hey, do what you want with your device.

Completely agree :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Bingo! As usual, D, your comments are spot on.

We have an adage in programming that states that idiot-proofing is the majority of effort, and idiot-proofing is extremely difficult because idiots are ingenious - they often do things than no sane person would ever attempt... and it seems that sometimes that adage would apply to iOS betas. #justsaying

Last edited:

fluffybunnydeath

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Alas, I've encountered it (for the first time) with Beta 6. The Red Sn0w workaround hasn't fixed it for me, nor has the changing the DNS. Looks like I'll be doing the downgrade/upgrade trick.

ashton_martin

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Did everything you said to and this came up:
"Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes."
I have done a hard re set
I have tried to connect to iTunes but it keeps saying "there's a problem with the network"
My wifi is working fine so I don't think that's the issue. But I have tried activating through wifi and LTE and it STILL won't even let me activate my phone. Any help would be VERY APPRECIATED!

ashton_martin

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Follow the directions in this post and it should fix it, but you need to ensure your device is registered as part of the developer program or you won't be able to activate it.
I obviously wasn't smart enough to realize my phone should've been part of a developer program before I started this and now my phone won't activate through wifi, the cellular network, OR iTunes. Any advice??

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I obviously wasn't smart enough to realize my phone should've been part of a developer program before I started this and now my phone won't activate through wifi, the cellular network, OR iTunes. Any advice??

Im having the same problem!! Help please!

The download servers and the activation servers are getting slammed with all of the requests.

I’ve also seen one report that the activation servers are currently down.

1. Be patient
2. Keep trying
3. Go to 1

owlyn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
ixxd_com,

You are a genius. I used the RedSn0w trick, and in lkess than 60 seconds, I have a fully-functioning OS7 iPhone 4s. Thanks!

ashton_martin

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

You were right. Late last night I tried logging in one last time and IT WORKED! Thank you for the encouragement and reassurance!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner