iOS7 Developer Build looks awful

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: iOS7 looks awful

Like how Siri and Maps were 'just in beta', right?

Then what the heck was Craig demoing on his iphone5 during the IOS7 keynote on Monday? How come they get one version and developers get another? At this point (~2 months before they start manufacturing the next iphone and installing IOS7 on them), IOS7 should be more or less ready for prime-time.

No. Like this is not available for public consumption. You have to be a developer to legally get it on your device, or go way out of your way to install it and risk bricking your phone when beta 2 drops.

​You know that's a possibility for you now, right?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

No. Like this is not available for public consumption. You have to be a developer to legally get it on your device, or go way out of your way to install it and risk bricking your phone when beta 2 drops.

You know that's a possibility for you now, right?

They do now. :)

glitched2020

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

I am a student and I loaded iOS 7 on my main phone (iPhone 5). I knew this would happen and I was prepared, everyone at school wanted to try it out. Everyone hated the design, everyone, this isn't an exaggeration. They said the UI looked "fake," and "girly," and they thought it was just a jailbreak theme.
I also experienced many problems (well it is a beta!)
-iMessage wouldn't activate, nor Facetime
-eBay is completely broken and freezes the whole phone
-No notifications AT ALL from third-party apps
-Reminders didn't work (very annoying, so I downgraded within 12 hours!)

I did test the Activation Lock method (because I am so scared of getting my iPhone stolen) and it worked! Impressive, Apple!

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

You're a brave man. I won't Install it unless I see significant changes for the better, because there's likely no way back once you upgrade.

Unless ios7 gets jailbroken, which it might not be for awhile if ever.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

It's growing on me with the exception of the Settings and Sadari icons.

I'd have to agree; the safari icon (imo) needs to not look like a compass, and the settings icon looks like the heating element coil on my stove ;-) . . . I think its growing on me too, but its been good to hear some people who know more than I do say that things could change a fair bit yet, I knew it was beta but since they went public with it (in the presentation) I figured it was pretty well set except for bug fixes and functionality.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

The whole UI is refreshing. I don't care how kindergarten it may look. It's a tad bit
hard on the eyes (for me, at times), but I'll take it. TouchWiz on meth? Hell yeah
it's TouchWiz on meth. I love it. Just watch and see when Samsung starts copying
UI visuals from this. And the new functions do NOT have a difficult learning curve.
The OS is still easy as heck to use and access things. You can give this phone
to the stupidest person on the planet and they'll figure out where to download apps
from on it 1,000 times quicker than they would if you handed them a Galaxy s4.

SithLord

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Like how Siri and Maps were 'just in beta', right?

Then what the heck was Craig demoing on his iphone5 during the IOS7 keynote on Monday? How come they get one version and developers get another? At this point (~2 months before they start manufacturing the next iphone and installing IOS7 on them), IOS7 should be more or less ready for prime-time.

I think Craig may have been using a 5S or whatever the next next phone is called. It might explain why beta 1 doesn't have the Siri improvements. Seems like a lot of the features are going to be tied to Siri, so I can see Apple announcing Siri 2.0, but only making it available on the next model.

just a thought

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Its not just that a couple of the icons are a little ugly.

The problems are deeper than that, there are many places where the new UI is just fundamentally badly designed.

It's not just users that are unhappy with the new look (though in all polls I've seen, there's a solid 20-33% minority who don't like it, which is troubling enough by itself.)

Many of the people opposed to the new UI are designers, who are really baffled by Apple going against, what is objectively speaking, good design. Designers and people who know quite the art and science of design is a group that you would expect to praise the new UI, and that they're so many in that camp don't like ios7 is a fact that I find deeply troubling.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

I would not describe it as awful. But I share your concerns. They have a good many months here to clean and polish everything.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

The problems are deeper than that, there are many places where the new UI is just fundamentally badly designed. .

Like?

I think you can make an argument for certain visuals like the icons and the overly blurred opaque dock and control centre but those are nuances that can worked out as the OS matures prior to public release.

What iOS 7 isn't though is fundamentally badly designed... A lot of thought has gone into it and it renders Vanilla Android and BlackBerry 10 (Which I find quite refreshing) relatively primitive.

Like I said, once all the visual nuances are worked out this has the potential to leave the others scrambling once again.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

​You know that's a possibility for you now, right?

EDIT: This isn't directed at anyone specifically, even the post I quoted, so I hope no one takes offense.

Let's be honest:

You have to pay Apple 99 dollars to be legal so to speak and to use betas. You don't have to be developer. Heck, it appears we got so many "developers" in the forums that iMore should be doing a spotlight each week on your all's apps or something.

If this issue really tears at people, I can only imagine what the jailbreak section is doing to you as it's not Apple's intention for anyone to be jailbreaking. We certainly don't tell people who screw up their phones by jailbreaking what idiots they are or that they shouldn't have been jailbreaking.

If someone wants to install the beta, then by all means, more power to them. I couldn't care less how they install it. Paying that 99 wouldn't empower me to think I'm something that I'm not or to run around admonishing other users on what Apple's intent is. Personally, I don't pay the 99 but I don't fool with iOS betas either (because it's too much of a hassle as opposed to other kinds of betas). But I like reading about people's experience with them.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

We don't mind jailbreaking. That's a whole different issue. And we don't really mind people loading the beta who have no right to load it (it's on them, after all if their phones brick, or if Apple find out who was responsible). What irks us is that the majority of people loading the beta without being devs or working with devs don't seem to understand what a beta is or is for, and their whining about inconsequential things makes us want them to switch to Android!

Some of the comments I've read over the last few days make me want to grab the poster by the collar, shake them, and ask them how many times their mammas dropped them as infants. It's akin to a 1st grader sitting in an organic chemistry class. Yea, it's exciting, and you see some neat stuff, but comprehension? None.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Jailbreaking is not illegal nor is it an actionable item from a legal perspective. Apple won’t help you, but they can’t prevent it. The beta release software is governed by legal documents (EULA and NDA) that restrict its usage and/or disclosure about its content and function. Breaking those agreements IS legally actionable.

But as Alli said, if you aren’t legit, or break the rules (or your device), it’s on you.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

We don't mind jailbreaking. That's a whole different issue. And we don't really mind people loading the beta who have no right to load it (it's on them, after all if their phones brick, or if Apple find out who was responsible). What irks us is that the majority of people loading the beta without being devs or working with devs don't seem to understand what a beta is or is for, and their whining about inconsequential things makes us want them to switch to Android!

Some of the comments I've read over the last few days make me want to grab the poster by the collar, shake them, and ask them how many times their mammas dropped them as infants. It's akin to a 1st grader sitting in an organic chemistry class. Yea, it's exciting, and you see some neat stuff, but comprehension? None.

More like letting a bunch of 13 year old boys play in the weapons test lab, then being surprised when it goes noisy and big holes appear in the walls.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

Ok . . I've made a few comments in the forums expressing my dislike for the new icons . . .

fwiw, I'd now like to repent and recant (not that anybody really cares, but this way I feel better).

After further review (yes, I'm an NFL fan), I can now say I have made peace with, and adjusted to, the new icons (for the most part) and actually now find the old ones to seem somewhat kludgy in comparison.

My apologies for the earlier expressions of my opinion . . carry on . . . .

Last edited:

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

You're a brave man. I won't Install it unless I see significant changes for the better, because there's likely no way back once you upgrade.

Unless ios7 gets jailbroken, which it might not be for awhile if ever.

I'm sure iOS 7 will get jailbroken. Once it actually comes out in the fall. I am just going to keep my phone with iOS 6. If I had another device to test the beta on, I would. But I don't feel like messing up my only phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods