iOS7 Developer Build looks awful

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Before we saw what ios7 looked like, I knew it wouldn't please everybody. And the haters would keep hating, no matter how it looked. But boy oh boy, I did not expect something that.... Awful.

Seriously, what are they thinking? It looks like Touchwiz on meth. or one of those awful feature phone UIs you buy in Chinese Iphone knockoffs.

The colors are jarring and loud, the design goes in all directions, buttons you can't tell are buttons, and icons that either don't make sense, or look like they were designed by a four year old.

This designer believes that ios7 looks like it was designed by committee (https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/275a56688510) and he does have a point. It took a little bit of Windows Phone, some Meego and Palm, sprinkled some Android on top, and presto!

This isn't just about ios7 looking "different." Its a regression in many, many ways.

IOS 6 led where others followed. It was snazzy, elegant, beautiful but most of all unique and confident. iOS 7 on the other hand uses loud colors and loud effects without purpose. It borrows design elements here, there and everywhere, and follows where others are leading the charge.

iOS 5-6 were timeless. It would look good in any era, when you saw it for the first time. Ios7 on the other hand will ridiculous in a few years when the current "flat UI" craze is over. This is a fail on so many levels, and I for one won't upgrade.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: iOS7 looks awful

Well, I was prepared to come in and call you a troll, but I pretty much agree with all of your points.

I don't mind the new UI but I don't think it's as great as many people think it is.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

I agree 100%. I think it's also not very optimized for visually impaired folks. The bright colors, the white backgrounds, it's all very hard to see and read, especially with the new font being so light and thin. Even the Messages app is all white (and white text on blue bubbles, who thought that was a good idea?). I'm REALLY hoping there is a dark color scheme we can switch to, but something tells me there won't be (and why was it all shown on white iPhones?) The colors are just to garish and there really isn't any uniformity.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

And if it looks bad for us, imagine what the regular folks will think.

You know, we're geeks and like computers and gadgets, but many of us on a regular basis interact with family members and friends who want technical assistance. Over the years, many of us have moved them onto macs and iPhones, because "it just works".

Well, how are regular folks supposed to understand that a couple of blobs means "game center" and a kaleidoscope of colors is the icon for "pictures". Those icons are horrible, its even worse inside some of the apps, where you can't tell a button apart from a tag. Ios7 is user-hostile as opposed to user friendly.

I hope to god they change some of it for the better (those at this point, very little usually changes) cause there's going to be a mile long queue of people in the Apple store who are going to ask how they can get their "old iPhone" back, because they updated it, and didnt expect Apple to vandalize their phone like this.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I agree 100%. I think it's also not very optimized for visually impaired folks. The bright colors, the white backgrounds, it's all very hard to see and read, especially with the new font being so light and thin. Even the Messages app is all white (and white text on blue bubbles, who thought that was a good idea?). I'm REALLY hoping there is a dark color scheme we can switch to, but something tells me there won't be (and why was it all shown on white iPhones?) The colors are just to garish and there really isn't any uniformity.

I'm going to trust Apple on this one. They have always been really good on accessibility options and I don't think that is something they would overlook but I understand your concern.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I imagine they could look beneath the icon and read the lable that tells them what it is ;)

Yeah see, that's a design fail right there. A big one. A sorry kid-you-flunked-this-class kinda fail.
The whole point of icons is that it's a visual representation you immediately understand. Otherwise why have then in the first place? We could save a lot of space by just having text.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to trust Apple on this one. They have always been really good on accessibility options and I don't think that is something they would overlook but I understand your concern.

Actually, I just saw this on hacker news, where they're also steaming mad about ios7.

fudged71 7 hours ago | link

It gets worse. In their design guidelines they say that instead of visual cues for buttons you should use COLORS. As a colorblind dude I'm ******* apalled.

I haven't read the design guidelines myself, but colors instead of visual cues is just an awful idea.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Yeah see, that's a design fail right there. A big one. A sorry kid-you-flunked-this-class kinda fail.
The whole point of icons is that it's a visual representation you immediately understand. Otherwise why have then in the first place? We could save a lot of space by just having text.

I am not the biggest supporter of the new icons either, but lets be honest, it isn't like all of a sudden they are now providing unintuitive icons. Did a sunflower with a sky background scream 'photo album' to you anymore than a color palette does? Same thing with the current compass look of Safari vs the new dial? If that is the argument, that one should immediately understand the visual representation, then these icon changes shouldn't be a big deal because Apple has been inconsistent at providing that since the beginning.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

I hope so and I agree, Superjudge. Apple has always been good with Accessibility options but I wish they could have shown those off too somehow. It's just a lot of white and against the white iPhone it looks nice, but what if you prefer (or even need) a darker look?

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I love and appreciate the increased functionality. And generally system looks rather nice. But those florecent icons is throwing everything away. If they fix that, I am sure the OS would look fine. Things like the cluttered control settings is not always seen, and i could live with the clutter in favor of the increased control. But the icons.. the icons.. the Safari and Messeages icons.. Do something with that before fall please Apple.

EggoEspada

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't really care for the new iOS either. As mentioned by many here, it's not very user friendly. The most basic functionality are incredibly complex to comprehend versus the previous versions and thetes crazy amount of inconsistencies. Different apps have different interactions for certain actions and design cues do not match one another. And those icons, they seem so bland and childish. They could of easily kept the current icons with some minor changes and remove the glossy layer. The littlest of details have been overlooked and that's never been Apple's style. Something as small as the control center and a lot of apps using the old rounded squares or the new cirlces in different areas as targets or at the same time to launch an app or toggle an option is frustrating

I feel Apple has caved. They changed the design language and added features in a sloppy manner to appease the advanced users with very specific aesthetic tastes versus the larger, basic masses.

As someone who had an iPhone 5 and a proud owner of an iPad, I've always respected Apple's design choices and their attention to detail. No company seems to match what Apple has done. I enjoyed iOS pre-7, but I was looking forward to some changes as well. They didn't execute correctly and I'm incredibly disappointed. Really all I wanted was less gloss and faux leather, etc. Plus some added functionality like what control center has done, but cleaner and more like a part of the experience since day one rather than an add on. They went to far, and I don't completely like this direction.

Sent from my HTC One

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I hope so and I agree, Superjudge. Apple has always been good with Accessibility options but I wish they could have shown those off too somehow. It's just a lot of white and against the white iPhone it looks nice, but what if you prefer (or even need) a darker look?

Yeah they didn't show one black iPhone during the whole presentation which makes me wonder what the OS looks like surrounded by black. It was a noticeable omission.

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi all - I'm going to jump in here because I posted the same thoughts in another thread and have yet to recieve a response! :( I'm so with you though on it looking bad. Do you think?:

1. Is there going to be a new phone coming out? My old iphone 4s's screen cracked and I'm up for an upgrade to the 5 if I'd like. I'm wondering if I should just get the 5 with installing the new software in Fall or trying to work Verizon to let me work around upgrading a bit later for a possible new phone? Any ideas/suggestions?

2. Do you know if the app icons are customizeable to stay looking the way they are now vs. the new "flat" look?

3. Is the text message background customizable to not be all white with the blue and grey messages? I really like the look of the texting now. I'm also thinking the new layout will be too much white on an all white iphone.

4. I'm a female and have had a white iphone for the last few years but was thinking of switching to black cause it looks sleek and it's different. I've read that the black scratches easily with a case, etc. and that the paint isn't that great on the back. Have any of you had issues with this? Do you prefer black to white and why?

5. I wonder how the new screens will look against black. It'd be awesome to see someone who installed the beta by them maybe sending screen shots?

I look forward to your feedback and my new phone. Hoping to get it today sometime if you recommend that the 5 is the way to go!

Thanks in advance!

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Yeah they didn't show one black iPhone during the whole presentation which makes me wonder what the OS looks like surrounded by black. It was a noticeable omission.

The OS looks good with the black iPhone. The white contrasts nice with the black. I would have, however, preferred the option of a black theme... Like the film section in the iTunes Store.

dedavumu.jpg

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I like the design changes, yes different but tends to have a personal feel when you use it for a few hours, I love that colors are dynamic and robust. Change is sometimes hard, but this change is pretty wow in my book.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Before we saw what ios7 looked like, I knew it wouldn't please everybody. And the haters would keep hating, no matter how it looked. But boy oh boy, I did not expect something that.... Awful.

Seriously, what are they thinking? It looks like Touchwiz on meth. or one of those awful feature phone UIs you buy in Chinese Iphone knockoffs.

The colors are jarring and loud, the design goes in all directions, buttons you can't tell are buttons, and icons that either don't make sense, or look like they were designed by a four year old.

This designer believes that ios7 looks like it was designed by committee (https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/275a56688510) and he does have a point. It took a little bit of Windows Phone, some Meego and Palm, sprinkled some Android on top, and presto!

This isn't just about ios7 looking "different." Its a regression in many, many ways.

IOS 6 led where others followed. It was snazzy, elegant, beautiful but most of all unique and confident. iOS 7 on the other hand uses loud colors and loud effects without purpose. It borrows design elements here, there and everywhere, and follows where others are leading the charge.

iOS 5-6 were timeless. It would look good in any era, when you saw it for the first time. Ios7 on the other hand will ridiculous in a few years when the current "flat UI" craze is over. This is a fail on so many levels, and I for one won't upgrade.

I agree I am not a fan of the color palette that they chose, I wish they at least would have allowed the option for dark or light theme. The dark theme would go really well with the black iphone just how the current light theme goes with the white iphone IMO

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

There is an accessability option to invert colors which will switch it to a dark "theme" but you wouldn't want to use it unless you had to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh