Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iTunes - Firmware not compatible?

Hello all.

In attempts to option click update on my Mac and update to iOS 7, iTunes tells me the firmware is not compatible. No error number either. I am positive I have the proper firmware for my model. I also restored to iOS 6.1.4 as new before hand so I am assuming the error is within iTunes (which is on the latest version).

Any advice on how to fix this issue would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    The energy of the mind is the essence of life.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Re: Firmware not compatible?

firmware is not compatible means that the ipsw you got is not the right one for your phone. What is your iPhone? if it's an iPhone 5 there are two models 428 and 429 I think. I know mine is the 428 model but if for instance you got the other ipsw you would get that error. If you give us some more info about your iPhone then we can help more.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    Thanked by:
    7break (11-14-2013)
    7break likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    firmware is not compatible means that the ipsw you got is not the right one for your phone. What is your iPhone? if it's an iPhone 5 there are two models 428 and 429 I think. I know mine is the 428 model but if for instance you got the other ipsw you would get that error. If you give us some more info about your iPhone then we can help more.
    Thanks for the response. It is on Verizon, CDMA. I downloaded the 429 for CDMA. Then I thought, well since that doesn't work maybe I should try the GSM version (428) so I did that and got the same result. It's an iPhone 5.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Update: got it working simply by switching and trying another computer. But now I'm getting an "Error 3194". Know how to bypass that?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I think this will be a lot easier if you tell us the steps you're doing to load the file? Also are you doing it on Windows or a Mac? maybe post up a screenshot. Also when was the last time you downloaded the ipsw? sometimes when the servers get slammed you can end up with corrupted downloads. So now that the mad rush has probably subsided you might even download the file again to make sure you have a good copy. I'll check back to see more of your info.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Alright. I was originally doing it on my Mac but abandoned that. Here's what I've done

1) restored my iPhone to updated 6.1.4 and started "as new iPhone" relinquishing my jailbreak and returning it back to stock.

2) downloaded .ipsw via [source] which was reliable, for CDMA iPhone 5.

3) plugged in iPhone and launched iTunes on a Windows PC rather than my Mac that wasn't doing it for some reason.

4) shift click update on PC and selected the iOS 7 .ipsw that I downloaded.

5) allow iTunes to extract software and perform the update as it would normally, which it extracts without flaw.

6) connecting to iTunes Store after extraction.. Success.

7) BAM! The dream crush after hours of waiting to get this far. Error 3194. Haunting me with its unwanted presence.

Saw a solution to delete some type of coding in system32> etc folder that holds "host" file. Going to do that now.

So, I believe the .ipsw is solid. Windows PC. iPhone 5. Will try to screenshot if it fails. Don't really know PC too well, but screenshot shouldn't be difficult one would assume.

P.S. THANK YOU! For taking the time to assist me with this, you are extremely helpful. Please keep me posted with possible solutions as I will do the same.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've done it my friend, my goodness this OS is brilliant.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by iRy757 View Post
    I've done it my friend, my goodness this OS is brilliant.
    how did you do it
    i need to know
    iPhone Nanite

heyy
    how did u bypass the not compatible firm ware thing. im using a windows laptop with ios 6.1.3 on my ipod touch 5 and im sure that i have the correct ipsw file for ios 7
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just followed directions. Downloaded the .ipsw - should have labels as to which device it works on. Updated and restored my iPhone to latest version which was 6.1.4 and set up as new. Shift/option click UPDATE not RESTORE and selected the downloaded .ipsw.

The not compatible thing I couldn't bypass for some reason on my Mac so I used my fiancé's PC and it went through.

For the 3194 error you have to delete a command in c:/ windows / system 32/ drivers / etc / host with iTunes closed. Reopen and shift/option click update and select .ipsw again and it went through. With the help of my fingers being crossed of course.
    iPhone Nanite

I have a similar problem. It says that my iphone is not compatible.
    I am on rogers so I downloaded the correct gsm file.
    (I have the iphone 4 16gb model)
    please help!! im dying to try out ios7!!
    iPhone Nanite

HELP !!!!! i have a iphone 5 a1428 model and i downloaded the right firmware of iOS 7 twice ! i restored to the latest 6.1.4 but still when i hit option+update it says "firmware not compatible " . i even tried with a a1429 firmware , but no luck.pleeeeeeeez help !!!!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

I'm also dealing with the same issue -- says it's not compatible!
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by AdityaMEHTA View Post
    HELP !!!!! i have a iphone 5 a1428 model and i downloaded the right firmware of iOS 7 twice ! i restored to the latest 6.1.4 but still when i hit option+update it says "firmware not compatible " . i even tried with a a1429 firmware , but no luck.pleeeeeeeez help !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agpe17 View Post
    I'm also dealing with the same issue -- says it's not compatible!
    Check with your developer boss or contact Apple through the Dev Center for assistance. If you’re not a developer, put down the software, step away from the beta.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Check with your developer boss or contact Apple through the Dev Center for assistance. If you’re not a developer, put down the software, step away from the beta.
    Do those who are $99/year devs have to download anything? Or does iOS 7 just appear as a software update in iTunes?

Global Posts
    19,347 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Do those who are $99/year devs have to download anything? Or does iOS 7 just appear as a software update in iTunes?
    Check out the information via the link below/

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

If you don't know the answer to that and/or don't know how to install the beta, then maybe you aren't/shouldn't be in the dev program…
    Thanked by:
    Fausty82 (06-12-2013), Seabassthegreat (06-19-2013)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

He sent me a screenshot of my name on the dev list! STILL will not work....what if you currently have 6.1.4? Do you still need to restore?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    If you don't know the answer to that and/or don't know how to install the beta, then maybe you aren't/shouldn't be in the dev program…
    So by your logic, if you don't really know too much about something, no use in doing it?

I'm new to beta testing and UDID registration, so forgive me.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

So by your logic, if you don't really know too much about something, no use in doing it?

I'm new to beta testing and UDID registration, so forgive me.
    When it comes to beta software, yes. if you have no clue, then just don’t do it. If you want to learn how, go to the dude who hooked you up and ask him to show you how to help him (because that’s what you’re supposed to be doing with it). If you just got it to have it, then go pound sand.
    Dryland and Karenkcoulter like this.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

When it comes to beta software, yes. if you have no clue, then just don’t do it. If you want to learn how, go to the dude who hooked you up and ask him to show you how to help him (because that’s what you’re supposed to be doing with it). If you just got it to have it, then go pound sand.
    Exactly. The person who gave you access to it should help you install it assuming you're a legit tester on a legit iOS developers account.

If you just decided to pay $99 to sign up for the iOS developer program (so you are the dev), then there are instructions on the Apple Dev pages where you download the beta. If those instructions don't make sense, then maybe you shouldn't have joined the dev program.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

You're making it seem as if I'm the only one who registered their UDID JUST to have the iOS 7 beta -- if that's what you're hinting at, you're definitely mistaken. There are TROVES of people who registered their UDID "just to have it(iOS 7)", and have nothing to do with app development or SDK's.

I just came looking for some guidance on the issue, I didn't expect such negative feedback. My apologies for any inconveniences I've caused you guys. Just looking for some help.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

You're making it seem as if I'm the only one who registered their UDID JUST to have the iOS 7 beta -- if that's what you're hinting at, you're definitely mistaken. There are TROVES of people who registered their UDID "just to have it(iOS 7)", and have nothing to do with app development or SDK's.

I just came looking for some guidance on the issue, I didn't expect such negative feedback. My apologies for any inconveniences I've caused you guys. Just looking for some help.
    So you spent $99 to join the dev program just to get the beta!!! Like I said the instructions are available on the iOS dev portal. Go have at it.

If you "registered their UDID", with some random dev or some shady website, no we don't want to help you. Getting the beta in that fashion is against Apple's policies and legit devs don't want to risk their dev account by registering random people or helping them. And if you did go this route, we aware that when the next beta drops, it is possible that your phone may just stop working.

Yes, all of us here know that people here do these sorts of things to get the beta. We don't have to help facilitate it though.

That being said, if you can PM me some proof that you are a legit member of the iOS dev program, I can try to offer you some help in getting the beta installed.
    Thanked by:
    Seabassthegreat (06-19-2013)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I’ve not been inconvenienced by you or any one else... but clearly you don’t know what you are doing. And this is precisely why Apple intends to restrict the beta release of all of their software to bona fide developers... it’s tough enough developing a new version of an operating system without having to babysit all of the wannabes... I suppose if you want to shell out $99 to play with buggy new software, who can stop you... but that’s an expensive status symbol, IMHO.

Good luck.
    Thanked by:
    Seabassthegreat (06-19-2013)
    Seabassthegreat likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

hey i got the same problem its say famware is not compatible and i have iphone 4 its gsm and i got the same famware please help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast