No Quick Reply for messages? iOS 7 Developer Build

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: No Quick Reply for messages?

Curious about this: can you put up a screen shot showing a banner notification?

Here you go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371002468.462348.jpg

The notification will just abruptly slide down from the top, last a short while, then slide back up. Very 'in your face', and (ironically) not as subtle as the way the banners would roll in for IOS6.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Here you go.

View attachment 32194

The notification will just abruptly slide down from the top, last a short while, then slide back up. Very 'in your face', and (ironically) not as subtle as the way the banners would roll in for IOS6.

Wow, that's a surprise! So they're not only a different color (now black) and larger, but no longer roll at all? Quite a change.

Can you still swipe them left (or pull down slightly and release) to dismiss the notification?

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Never tried it before, usually just wait for the notifications to disappear on their own). Anyways, I just restored back to 6.1.3. The new features weren't worth the lag, heat and random reboots.

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Wow, that's a surprise! So they're not only a different color (now black) and larger, but no longer roll at all? Quite a change.

Can you still swipe them left (or pull down slightly and release) to dismiss the notification?

You can slide them UP to hide them now, much more convenient than the previous sliding them down and then up way - The box does seem a little larger than it needs to be, doesn't it? I assumed it was just needing to be tweaked slightly, but the thought of something being "missing" is an interesting one. There was a lot of talk about IOS7 being behind and staff were pulled from OS Mavericks to help develop it, maybe the quick reply feature simply wasn't ready in time to be showed off?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Improved Siri voice isn't in beta 1 ... Although it was discussed I think future betas may add to the feature set.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Intriguing ideas and it does seem like the banners are bigger just chilling waiting a quick reply button LOL.

Also I think a lot us would really love a quick compose widget!!

Sent from the collector home world.

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Has Apple ever introduced a major UI feature via beta that they didn't show at WWDC and included it in the final release? I'm trying to think of one. I know they have added smaller features, touched up UI elements, and laid the foundation for larger features without including them before.

I found one such feature and it is actually on ios 7. In mail there is an option now to mark all, then mark as read. A mark all as read option to me is pretty substantial but that wasn't mentioned at all.

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

With full multitasking, you don't need to have this quick reply option. Just go into your messages, reply, and go right back where you were. Nothing has stopped or changed. And since you can now just swipe to get back and forth between apps, it should be very fast and easy. So your desire to have a quick reply for messages is needless.

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

With full multitasking, you don't need to have this quick reply option. Just go into your messages, reply, and go right back where you were. Nothing has stopped or changed. And since you can now just swipe to get back and forth between apps, it should be very fast and easy. So your desire to have a quick reply for messages is needless.

Well the whole point is so you don't have to use multi tasking you just click reply type then send eliminating the extra move by moving from the message app to the one you were in

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Well the whole point is so you don't have to use multi tasking you just click reply type then send eliminating the extra move by moving from the message app to the one you were in

Yup, exactly. I hope this feature comes to iOS 7! If it does I can look past the yucky icons :p

Is there any way to change the color of that black banner? It looks so obtrusive. I wonder why they didn't give any gradient or translucency for that...

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Yup, exactly. I hope this feature comes to iOS 7! If it does I can look past the yucky icons :p

Is there any way to change the color of that black banner? It looks so obtrusive. I wonder why they didn't give any gradient or translucency for that...

And no need to jailbreak lol

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, it does look like a qr could come in a future beta release! Gimme that, and a dark theme, and I would be the happiest jailbreaker running stock you'll ever find ;)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Regardless of how fast it is, it will still feel wrong to me to be pulled out of an app (and then have to launch the multitasking UI to return to it) just to reply to a message--especially when it happens repeatedly in the course of a conversation. It's not about whether or not anything has "stopped or changed," it's about creating a fluid user experience. The current method adds unneccesary steps/clicks/taps to what should (in my view) be a momentary interaction.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
No Quick Reply for messages?

Here you go.

View attachment 32194

That looks really bad. I hope this isn't their intent....
Far from the elegant look that Apple is used to presenting.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

when i used to jailbreak i was like "Apple better implement quick reply or else!"

now... i'm like "Eh, i'll reply when i feel like it"

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I found one such feature and it is actually on ios 7. In mail there is an option now to mark all, then mark as read. A mark all as read option to me is pretty substantial but that wasn't mentioned at all.

Yeah that is a wanted feature. I'm not sure if I would call it a UI type feature that quick reply would be but that is something interesting that they neglected to mention when highlighting the new mail app. Good find. Thanks.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

That looks really bad. I hope this isn't their intent....
Far from the elegant look that Apple is used to presenting.

I like it better than the current implementation. I think the current notifications are awkward looking. Having something rotate in using the same screen space as whatever app you are using has always seemed clumsy. At least with iOS 7, as was described, it slides down over the app which would be consistent with creating layers throughout the OS. Its not perfect but its better. Of course if they don't add quick reply or some actionable quality, there is no need for the size of the notification.

Last edited: