Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By kch50428
  • 2 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By Massie
  • 1 Post By vdroide
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Default Apple Selling Out!!

Is it me or do you think Apple is really selling out with this whole "new flat look" thing? The rich textured 3D skeumorphic (not sure what this even means) look is what defines Apple and I have always personally thought it looked really really slick. The flat design is what everyone else has ... Apple would be conforming rather than trend setting, falling into one of the crowd. The problem with the OS is not the look of the apps/surrounding, it is with the lack of customization, quick access to things, creativity with some key features like the usefulness of the fast app switching bar, notification system, process for texting, lock screen capability ... I could go on and on. I really don't want to be negative before I even know what it truly looks like, but I really think I am going to hate it! Anyone else feel the same way?
    Last edited by csal80; 06-07-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Re: Apple Selling Out!!

I think we can't say anything until the keynote on Monday. Just because people say it's flatter doesn't mean it's flat. They could be rumors no one knows for sure. Also don't forget that what someone else considers flat and what another person does are two different things because without seeing it we are just imagining what we would perceive to be flat. It's all about design like the change of the podcast app. I personally like the newer look much better all the controls are more apparent and functional. Lots of people heard flatter and start thinking Metro UI but I'm almost completely sure Apple is not going to ditch what took 6 years to develop and polish overnight.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The "look" defines Apple?

Funny, I always thought it was because of reliability and dependable products.....
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

As Ipheuria says, we won’t know anything until we actually see what Apple puts out in iOS 7 and beyond.

However, with that said, I disagree with the OP's statement. When mobile devices first came out, the skeumorphic effects were somewhat necessary to guide us as users to understand the function and purpose of the apps. It brought "real world" perspective to the device - a calendar that looked like a desk blotter calendar, an audio player that looked like a tape deck, etc brought us a sense of familiarity and understanding. But that was many years ago. The iPhone will be 7 years old this month - and as consumers, we’ve become accustomed to what these devices are and what they can do. As we become more and more familiar with the devices and how they operate, these visual cues are no longer necessary.

Look at the world of fashion - things are cyclic... or take a look at web design. There does seem to be a trend in how websites and blogs look, but is that bad? Do we really want to return to the days of the AOL's cartoon-ish look for websites? How about the GeoCities web farms with animated GIFs, flashing text and MIDI music loops that auto play?

If Jony Ive truly is in charge of the human interface, should be be surprised by the rumored "flat" and minimalist design? He’s been building sleek, minimalist devices for Apple for years.

Just my humble opinion.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

If an audio player isn't a tape deck or headphones, or whatever, then what could it be that would not be skeumorphic? It has to be some visual depiction of something related, or what else could they do? I am more contesting the flat design versus the rich textured design. I think this should stay.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Look at OS X now compared to Kodiak or Cheetah. It has flattened out quite a bit. Things change.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

How can they be selling out just because they are using a flat look? They're doing good design! Thanks to Ive coming to the scene, he's getting rid of the junk we don't need!! "Flat Design" isn't selling out, it's being smart. Adapt or die kind of thing..
    iMore Expert

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.1

I like the idea of a flat design. I hope the icons look like the FlatIcons theme. I always thought the glossy look was ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Yup, Apple is definitely selling out...we should jump ship and go buy something else! OP! LEAD THE WAY!

*crickets*
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Yup, Apple is definitely selling out...we should jump ship and go buy something else! OP! LEAD THE WAY!

*crickets*
    So they are not conforming to the current trend versus setting a new trend themselves? Hmmmm. Never suggested jumping ship.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    So they are not conforming to the current trend versus setting a new trend themselves? Hmmmm. Never suggested jumping ship.
    I think the negative connotation of "selling out" doesn't really fit. It's a tricky thing even in this thread you can see that some people want a flat look. While others love it just the way it is. The familiar over time makes people want something new but to me I couldn't care less I just want features. So it will be interesting to see on Monday just how flat is flat because I don't think it is going to be what some are expecting. I wouldn't call it selling out or following others because there is really no leader.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm sure Apple will be blazing their own path come Monday... Apple doesn't sell out

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is it me or do you think Apple is really selling out with this whole "new flat look" thing?
    ​No. It's you.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    mikesa_tx (06-08-2013), SeanHRCC (06-07-2013)
    Fausty82, SeanHRCC and mikesa_tx like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

How can you deduce that they are conforming to anything design wise if you've yet to even see what iOS 7 looks like? This argument you're trying to make here just sounds silly...kind of like when people thought Notre Dame was actually going to put up a good game in the national championship, lol.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    How can you deduce that they are conforming to anything design wise if you've yet to even see what iOS 7 looks like? This argument you're trying to make here just sounds silly...kind of like when people thought Notre Dame was actually going to put up a good game in the national championship, lol.
    They did. They almost won!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Oh my...lol...you poor thing.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Apple doesn't sell out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Devices | iPhone 5 16 GIG Black & Slate | iPad 2 16 GIG White | Macbook Pro 13-inch
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    6,396 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I must have watched a different game.
    Anyway, can't wait for the season to start.
    Good Luck

Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by mikesa_tx View Post
    Apple doesn't sell out.
    In a sense, they do... sell out of stock on hand and have back-orders on device launches...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Ipheuria and mikesa_tx like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Les74 View Post
    The "look" defines Apple?

Funny, I always thought it was because of reliability and dependable products.....
    Reliability of services is a joke for Apple. That is their challenge going forward, as I would agree hardware and software is solid.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts

I wonder how long before Samsung announces their new 'flat' look ?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If an audio player isn't a tape deck or headphones, or whatever, then what could it be that would not be skeumorphic? It has to be some visual depiction of something related, or what else could they do? I am more contesting the flat design versus the rich textured design. I think this should stay.
    I don't follow—look at the current Music app. It doesn't need to be a reel-to-reel player, a spinning record, or anything similar to make its functions clear.

Apple Selling Out!!-image.jpg
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Things change, design change, Apple doesn´t have to stick to the same thing forever so as not to be labelled a "sell out". Bet your life that Ive has a different sense of style than Forstall, a reflection of that is what we may see. Don´t expect Windows 8 flat (terrible and monotonous in my opinion). What´s more we don´t know what 7 would be like.
    Ipheuria likes this.