Apple Selling Out!!

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or do you think Apple is really selling out with this whole "new flat look" thing? The rich textured 3D skeumorphic (not sure what this even means) look is what defines Apple and I have always personally thought it looked really really slick. The flat design is what everyone else has ... Apple would be conforming rather than trend setting, falling into one of the crowd. The problem with the OS is not the look of the apps/surrounding, it is with the lack of customization, quick access to things, creativity with some key features like the usefulness of the fast app switching bar, notification system, process for texting, lock screen capability ... I could go on and on. I really don't want to be negative before I even know what it truly looks like, but I really think I am going to hate it! Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think we can't say anything until the keynote on Monday. Just because people say it's flatter doesn't mean it's flat. They could be rumors no one knows for sure. Also don't forget that what someone else considers flat and what another person does are two different things because without seeing it we are just imagining what we would perceive to be flat. It's all about design like the change of the podcast app. I personally like the newer look much better all the controls are more apparent and functional. Lots of people heard flatter and start thinking Metro UI but I'm almost completely sure Apple is not going to ditch what took 6 years to develop and polish overnight.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The "look" defines Apple?

Funny, I always thought it was because of reliability and dependable products.....

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As Ipheuria says, we won?t know anything until we actually see what Apple puts out in iOS 7 and beyond.

However, with that said, I disagree with the OP's statement. When mobile devices first came out, the skeumorphic effects were somewhat necessary to guide us as users to understand the function and purpose of the apps. It brought "real world" perspective to the device - a calendar that looked like a desk blotter calendar, an audio player that looked like a tape deck, etc brought us a sense of familiarity and understanding. But that was many years ago. The iPhone will be 7 years old this month - and as consumers, we?ve become accustomed to what these devices are and what they can do. As we become more and more familiar with the devices and how they operate, these visual cues are no longer necessary.

Look at the world of fashion - things are cyclic... or take a look at web design. There does seem to be a trend in how websites and blogs look, but is that bad? Do we really want to return to the days of the AOL's cartoon-ish look for websites? How about the GeoCities web farms with animated GIFs, flashing text and MIDI music loops that auto play?

If Jony Ive truly is in charge of the human interface, should be be surprised by the rumored "flat" and minimalist design? He?s been building sleek, minimalist devices for Apple for years.

Just my humble opinion.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If an audio player isn't a tape deck or headphones, or whatever, then what could it be that would not be skeumorphic? It has to be some visual depiction of something related, or what else could they do? I am more contesting the flat design versus the rich textured design. I think this should stay.

ScottyHa

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
How can they be selling out just because they are using a flat look? They're doing good design! Thanks to Ive coming to the scene, he's getting rid of the junk we don't need!! "Flat Design" isn't selling out, it's being smart. Adapt or die kind of thing..

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of a flat design. I hope the icons look like the FlatIcons theme. I always thought the glossy look was ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup, Apple is definitely selling out...we should jump ship and go buy something else! OP! LEAD THE WAY!

*crickets*

So they are not conforming to the current trend versus setting a new trend themselves? Hmmmm. Never suggested jumping ship.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So they are not conforming to the current trend versus setting a new trend themselves? Hmmmm. Never suggested jumping ship.

I think the negative connotation of "selling out" doesn't really fit. It's a tricky thing even in this thread you can see that some people want a flat look. While others love it just the way it is. The familiar over time makes people want something new but to me I couldn't care less I just want features. So it will be interesting to see on Monday just how flat is flat because I don't think it is going to be what some are expecting. I wouldn't call it selling out or following others because there is really no leader.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

How can you deduce that they are conforming to anything design wise if you've yet to even see what iOS 7 looks like? This argument you're trying to make here just sounds silly...kind of like when people thought Notre Dame was actually going to put up a good game in the national championship, lol.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
How can you deduce that they are conforming to anything design wise if you've yet to even see what iOS 7 looks like? This argument you're trying to make here just sounds silly...kind of like when people thought Notre Dame was actually going to put up a good game in the national championship, lol.

They did. They almost won!

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The "look" defines Apple?

Funny, I always thought it was because of reliability and dependable products.....

Reliability of services is a joke for Apple. That is their challenge going forward, as I would agree hardware and software is solid.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods